Female 

20-09-2011, 10:53 PM
I only feed once daily too usually about 6pm x
lozzibear
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

20-09-2011, 11:09 PM
Originally Posted by TeflonsShadow View Post
mostly tiny bits of kibble as treats (left over Burns, when we finish the Burns, I will buy fish4dogs... its healthier than actual treats!)
I do that with Jake too He gets his hypoallergenic dog food as treats, he loves them and they aren't full of crap, and won't set his allergies off
MarchHound
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

20-09-2011, 11:13 PM
Originally Posted by lozzibear View Post
I do that with Jake too He gets his hypoallergenic dog food as treats, he loves them and they aren't full of crap, and won't set his allergies off
I used to use chicken, but I kept leaving it in pockets and finding an icky surprise!

I'd rather feed a decent kibble as a treat (smallest size they have) than a biscuit treat that has colours and all sorts of crud in... It works out cheaper too! hahahah!

The odd thing is that she went off eating her Burns and yet will quite happily have it as a treat? Madness!
sarah1983
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

21-09-2011, 06:53 AM
I feed twice a day. Once around 5pm, then again around 10pm. Odd timings I know but when we were having problems with him eating we noticed that those were the times he'd tend to eat if we left his food down. Rather than fight it we simply started feeding him then. He gets treats and leftovers through the day.

I'd rather feed a decent kibble as a treat (smallest size they have) than a biscuit treat that has colours and all sorts of crud in... It works out cheaper too! hahahah!
I make my own cookies for Rupert. Peanut butter or cheese ones. Easier than finding wheat and corn free ones and a hell of a lot cheaper than buying a bag of kibble. I had the same problem using meat as a reward. I either had to put it in a tub which meant faffing around when I wanted one or I managed to leave bits behind in my pocket and it went icky. At least a biscuit accidentally left in a pocket for a week doesn't smell the house out.
SLB
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

21-09-2011, 07:26 AM
Originally Posted by sarah1983 View Post
I feed twice a day. Once around 5pm, then again around 10pm. Odd timings I know but when we were having problems with him eating we noticed that those were the times he'd tend to eat if we left his food down. Rather than fight it we simply started feeding him then. He gets treats and leftovers through the day.

I make my own cookies for Rupert. Peanut butter or cheese ones. Easier than finding wheat and corn free ones and a hell of a lot cheaper than buying a bag of kibble. I had the same problem using meat as a reward. I either had to put it in a tub which meant faffing around when I wanted one or I managed to leave bits behind in my pocket and it went icky. At least a biscuit accidentally left in a pocket for a week doesn't smell the house out.
Louie ate his dinner at 7pm last night - normally I take it up but I'd forgotten as I was eating my own.. so Maybe he's a night time eater too.. Sadie would eat all day if she could.

I suppose I have to tailor it around Louie and there is no right or wrong way to feed - it just depends on the dog..
krlyr
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

21-09-2011, 07:46 AM
Twice a day here, pretty much for the same reasons as smokeybear.
jesterjenn
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

21-09-2011, 09:41 AM
Originally Posted by TeflonsShadow View Post
You know, if you believe in that wolf heirachy theory.... you dont have to actually eat a whole meal before feeding the dogs, you could just eat a biscuit or something but make it look as though you are eating their food before you give it to them.

Them going to bed with a full tummy can't be great? They are digesting the food and have no need for the energy its releasing at they are sleeping!

I feed mine her dinner between 3-5pm depending on the days activities (if we are going to flyball, she gets it at 3 so her meal has gone down before the exercise). She then has energy to burn and we have a good play before bedtime......
They only feed after us because that's the way we like to do it Nothing to do with the heirachy theories Just personal preference (just like our son eats before us).

I've never had any problems feeding this way. They are healthy, bright eyed and bushy tailed, and as long as it suits them (which it obviously does), it'll be kept this way
Jackalyn
Dogsey Senior
Female 

21-09-2011, 10:16 AM
Mine get fed twice a day, breakfast can be any time between 4 30 and 9 am and dinner can be any time usually between 5 and 10 depending on my work rota. I always feed them after walks but sometimes quite soon after we get back. They have orijen and wainwrights for breakfast and raw for their evening meal, and they seem to be doing really well.
DvnBiker
Dogsey Junior

21-09-2011, 10:31 AM
twice a day here as well, normally 8am and about 5pm but does depend on whether we are out training in the evening or not and then I change it accordingly.
Moon's Mum
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

21-09-2011, 03:19 PM
Twice a day here, around 7am and 6pm. Cain knows when 6pm is I think he'd report me to the RSPCA if ionly fed him once a day He gets so much pleasure from mealtimes that I prefer to fed him twice a day. Plus I know I'd be hungry if I only ate once a day! He has enough problems without being grumpy because he's hungry A full dog is a happy dog. I also worry about bloat so prefer to split food into two meals. Always at least one hour away from exercise though, which does mean he sometimes gets his evening meal very late.
Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >