View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Ripsnorterthe2nd
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

11-05-2011, 09:14 PM
It won't be easy, but I certainly think it will help you to come to terms with everything that has happened and put your mind at rest.

{{{hugs}}}
madmare
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

12-05-2011, 09:19 AM
I was only wondering a few days ago about Ollies PM results.
Thinking of you today Lynn and I really hope they give you some clear answers as to what was wrong. Not knowing is so hard to deal with.
I will keep watching for your update. (((hugs)))
Jackie
Dogsey Veteran
Female  Diamond Supporter 

12-05-2011, 09:21 AM
Any news??
Lynn
Dogsey Veteran
Female  Gold Supporter 

12-05-2011, 09:43 AM
Hi guys thanks for all the messages of support.

No news yet just have to wait Nadia is very busy and I may not get a call till this evening. If she is available today.

I hope she is I am sort of in two mind I do and I don't want to know if that makes sense.

Feeling a bit low over it to be honest but this is the last stage of the whole nightmare now so hopefully when this is done and dusted I might be able to start to move on a bit. Every time I start to feel a bit better there is something else popping up.

Of course I never will never forget him but I would like to be able to lay it all to rest now. so I am hoping Nadia has the time to ring through the results today.

As soon as I hear anything I will update.
Emma
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

12-05-2011, 11:49 AM
I hope the results give you a bit of a closure.
You were the best two legged mum to Ollie and no matter the results xxxx
lilypup
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

12-05-2011, 12:30 PM
Originally Posted by Emma View Post
I hope the results give you a bit of a closure.
You were the best two legged mum to Ollie and no matter the results xxxx
Completely agree on both counts. xxxx
Losos
Fondly Remembered
Male 

12-05-2011, 12:46 PM
Originally Posted by Lynn View Post
Of course I never will never forget him but I would like to be able to lay it all to rest now. so I am hoping Nadia has the time to ring through the results today.

As soon as I hear anything I will update.
I will log in again tonight, I think I know how you feel Lynn, the whole story has been one I would never want, you have done all anyone could, hope you can soon say the story has ended.
Lynn
Dogsey Veteran
Female  Gold Supporter 

12-05-2011, 02:04 PM
I rang Nadia in the end I was getting a headache waiting.

Ollie had two very unusual problems they both were diseases very difficult to detect.

The first problem was as I suspected a Degenerative Mylopeathy (sp) but in his neck and it is that that possibly responded to the steroids for two weeks but it is not a curable disease and so that is why after two weeks it came back with a vengeance it seems it was going backwards and forwards.

It is unusual too find it in the neck it is usually the back end.

The second problem was a disease called Polysaccharide storage myleopathy (sp) commonly found in heavy breed horses not dogs it is a genetic predisposition to digest grains which leads to damage to muscle tissue during exertion. It also leads to muscle atrpophy which would account for the wastage on his head and face.

There is no cure for either disease it was just pot luck the steroids worked for two weeks on the neck problem. Also very hard to detect so that is why everything kept coming back clear which made me think Myleopathy.

We may of found out he had the Polysaccharide if we had decided to go ahead with the muscle biopsy which ourselves and Nadia decided against as it would of meant more stress for him. If we had of tested Nadia would of known there was no cure for him so whichever way we had gone he would still of had to be PTS. No options at all with either disease let alone both of them together.

Nadia is very grateful for the PM as she says she now feels easier she didn't miss anything and most of all if another dog comes in presenting the same or similar symptoms they know how to deal with it and what tests to run and to let the owners know gently there is no cure.

We talked about our new addition at the end of the year and she says she would love a cuddle if we are prepared to take he/she along to meet her. Her and Ollies nurses are still grieving for him like we are and I am so touched by their love for him.

I'm not sure how I feel at the moment. Devastated, sad, but also relieved to know there was nothing more we could of possibly done us or Nadia.
IsoChick
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

12-05-2011, 02:08 PM
Oh Lynn.... (((BIG HUGS)))

I hope that having these results and speaking to Nadia will help your aching heart just a little... at least you know that you did all you could for Ollie, and that you let him go at the right time.
JoedeeUK
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

12-05-2011, 02:08 PM
Phew, at least you all know that there was nothing you could have done.

There is now a DNA test for DM in GSDs, perhaps this might be of interest to Nadia-especially if it is the same gene in Bernese.
Page 3 of 6 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 >