Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
cairosmum
New Member!
Female 

13-08-2009, 05:49 PM

** cairo's sick**

hi everyone,im new here.my staffy cairo isnt well.shes been sick twice today.shes bringing up a bit of food with it.shes reluctant to eat,and is sleeping more then usual.i took her for walk earlier,and she was her usual self then,but she was eating grass.she seems a little warm to the touch.any advice would be welcome thanks
Nippy
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

13-08-2009, 05:54 PM
I'm afraid there isn't much advice I can give you.
Have you contacted the vet?
I would try and keep her cool, it is very warm where I am, so maybe the heat is effecting her.
Hope she is better soon.
Helena54
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

13-08-2009, 05:58 PM
I think you might need to talk to the vet as Jen says. Dogs will always pick at a bit of grass if they're feeling sick, so she probably still is. Don't pressurise her to eat either, she will eat when she's ready and feeling better. Make sure she has some nice, clean fresh water nearby, and leave her be, but keep a strict eye on her, coz you might need to take her to a vet. What's her breathing like, is it forced (sorry, I don't know the correct term for the type I mean!) You can tell by watching her stomach if she's forcing the breath out rather than just breathing normally? That will relate to pain. If it's rapid, it will also relate to pain. Is she panting? Does she seem stressed? If not, then it sounds like she's eaten something she shouldn't or picked up a bug or something. I only get really concerned when the breathing is too rapid, and they're panting for no reason, it's a different kind of panting when they're in pain anyways. HOpe some of all that helps?! Good luck with her.
cairosmum
New Member!
Female 

13-08-2009, 06:25 PM
Originally Posted by Helena54 View Post
I think you might need to talk to the vet as Jen says. Dogs will always pick at a bit of grass if they're feeling sick, so she probably still is. Don't pressurise her to eat either, she will eat when she's ready and feeling better. Make sure she has some nice, clean fresh water nearby, and leave her be, but keep a strict eye on her, coz you might need to take her to a vet. What's her breathing like, is it forced (sorry, I don't know the correct term for the type I mean!) You can tell by watching her stomach if she's forcing the breath out rather than just breathing normally? That will relate to pain. If it's rapid, it will also relate to pain. Is she panting? Does she seem stressed? If not, then it sounds like she's eaten something she shouldn't or picked up a bug or something. I only get really concerned when the breathing is too rapid, and they're panting for no reason, it's a different kind of panting when they're in pain anyways. HOpe some of all that helps?! Good luck with her.

her breathing is normall..right now shes perked up a little.shes found some energy to have a bit of playtime.so im hoping she will perk right up now.shes not eating much still,although she came overe to beg some cerial of me that i was eating
Meg
Supervisor
Female  Diamond Supporter 

13-08-2009, 06:26 PM
Originally Posted by cairosmum View Post
hi everyone,im new here.my staffy cairo isnt well.shes been sick twice today.shes bringing up a bit of food with it.shes reluctant to eat,and is sleeping more then usual.i took her for walk earlier,and she was her usual self then,but she was eating grass.she seems a little warm to the touch.any advice would be welcome thanks
Hi Cairosmum welcome to Dogsey.
You don't say how old your dog is? Has she had a season recently or has she been spayed? If she is an adult I wouldn't offer her anymore food until tomorrow, just water a small amount at time and keep filling the bowl.

If she is better tomorrow I would give small meals of a light diet like white fish or chicken and rice to rest her tummy then gradually reintroduce her normal food a little at a time.

If she is sick again overnight or seems ill in the morning I would visit the vet tomorrow. Any dog who is sick for 24 hours should see a vet.

I hope Cairo is better soon...
cairosmum
New Member!
Female 

13-08-2009, 06:28 PM
hi minihaha,shes 9 months old
Helena54
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

13-08-2009, 06:31 PM
So is mine,and she's been sick on and off, but completely normal in herself sometimes with it too, but sometimes refused her food.

I would do as Mini has suggested, if she IS hungry, give her something with rice because rice is very, very easy on an upset tummy, but it will keep her satisfied that she's eaten something. Whatever you do, don't give her a normal large meal, coz the liklihood is, it'll come straight back up again. Give a small meal, little and often, rice with some of that minced fish from P@H or boiled chicken breast. I'm sure she'll be fine by the sounds of her now.
cairosmum
New Member!
Female 

13-08-2009, 07:33 PM
shes had a few mouthfuls of some boiled rice cooked with a chicken stock cube,but thats about it.shes having little play sessions,then sleeping.
Lou
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

13-08-2009, 10:00 PM
Hope Cairo's feeling better soon
cairosmum
New Member!
Female 

14-08-2009, 09:16 AM
hi minihaha,i just noticed you asked if she has been speyed..yes she was speyed at 6 months old.today she does seem alot brighter.shes back to her usual bouncy self,and shes been playing and is alot more alert today