Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
whistlecraftgsp
Dogsey Junior
Female 

24-03-2009, 12:57 PM

10 day old pup not gaining weight

We have a litter of 10 day old German Pointer pups. All are thriving apart from one boy who lost a couple of ounces just after birth and despite us seeing him nursing regularly, plus us supplementing him with a bottle, he either not gaining weight or only gaining 1 or 2 eights of an ounce per day. He seems fit and strong, although looks a bit on the skinny side, and is developing as well as the rest of the pups. Any advice on how to get weight on him. We've had slow gaining puppies before but never this slow.
ClaireandDaisy
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

24-03-2009, 01:27 PM
Sorry no experience with pups but love GSPs so...how about posting piccies?

OT - Banji- go to the Forum page, choose the section you want to post on and it`ll have a New Thread button at the top
Shona
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

24-03-2009, 01:58 PM
have you checked his pallet for signs of cleft pallet?

it could be a good idea, to have his heart checked he may have a murmur?

there are loads of reasons why a pup fails to thrive, none of them good, I would call the vet and have the pups checked
whistlecraftgsp
Dogsey Junior
Female 

24-03-2009, 02:46 PM
All of the pups were checked last Tuesday by a vet and they were all declared fit and healthy then, all had strong healthy heart sounds. No sign of cleft pallett either.
Shona
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

24-03-2009, 02:52 PM
can you remember what weight he was at birth? had he doubled that weight?

is it possible when you have been bottle feeding him that some fluid has gone into the lung?
whistlecraftgsp
Dogsey Junior
Female 

24-03-2009, 04:19 PM
He's not even back up to his birth weight yet. His lungs are clear and he seems fit and strong, just a bit skinny.
Shona
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

24-03-2009, 05:14 PM
Originally Posted by whistlecraftgsp View Post
He's not even back up to his birth weight yet. His lungs are clear and he seems fit and strong, just a bit skinny.
I would get the pup into the vet asap, the fact he has been checked already is kind of irrelivant, if he is now smaller than he was at birth, there must be something wrong,.
3dognight
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

24-03-2009, 07:36 PM
one thing i had to do, was, make sure my little guy was on the tit,and getting a fare shake at life, so to speek..was he the last born,runt....i hate that word!!!....and i had to burp my little one for a few weeks and having said all of that ,there may be a lack of servival, he may simply not have the will to servive ....that happened 3 times in my dog experience..all were healthy but ,had no will ....how is mom ..is she producing well..and are all of her tits functioning? some will say that a pup will go back to the same tit to feed ...i would try to hold him on a different tit see what happens i have never experienced that part but was told about it ....usually a pup with no will, can sercome to dehydration......iv got faith in this little guy and you also .....i truly hope all goes well and we are all looking forward to the pics ...please ....phil
whistlecraftgsp
Dogsey Junior
Female 

27-03-2009, 12:18 PM
Pup is still going strong and now has his eyes open. When I weighed him yesterday he was finally just over his birth weight. He still seems fine and apart from being smaller than the rest of the pups he's developing normally. I would put some pictures on here but don't know how to do it.
ClaireandDaisy
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

27-03-2009, 01:09 PM
You put pics on photobucket then copy & paste. There`s a How To Post Pics section here somewhere.
Had a peep at your website - I love the sprawl on the sofa. Good colour choice (of sofa) BTW.
This is my irish rescue Shamus - pretty useless as a working dog, but good fun. My other GSP (also a rescue of Irish origin) is coming up to 15.