View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
emma47
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

26-04-2011, 09:55 PM
Back on topic Ted is my first dog although i grew up with my uncles mad ESS Susie, grandad's farm collies razor and patch and when i was younger his GSD Dawn although i don't really remember her there are pics of me cuddling her . We had Ted from a rescue after years of begging my parents for a dog they gave in and said when i finished uni and got a job i could have one. They said no puppy though so we went to the local dogs trust centre looking for a slightly older dog. Mum didn't want a staffie and the other dogs we asked about either weren't suitable for us or already reserved. We visited a few times and then we saw Ted and another dog in the same kennel we asked about them both but the other dog was younger than we where looking for. Ted was about two which is about the age we where hoping for but hadn't been assesed. We got the call the next day to say they thought he would be perfect for us and we went and walked him that day. We couldn't take him home till the weekend so i went and walked him every day and by the friday he was dragging the kennel assistant to see me

For a first dog he hasn't been the easiest but i've certainly learnt a lot I would definately have a rescue again and all though there are lots of breeds i like i would have whatever dog suited me and my situation at the time
Littlepony
Dogsey Junior
Female 

29-04-2011, 11:15 AM
I have always had GSDs! My current boy is 8 and I originally got him as I have horses and was often found wandering around the farm alone on dark winter nights and my dad wanted me to be safe. He has proved to be the best dog I have ever known and is so loyal and protective.

I then was thinking of another GSD pup as old boy has arthritis and cannot run any more. So happens a week after my post here a GSDxcollie pup was brought into work as a cruelty case and I took him home to 'foster'. He is staying put though as he is a lovely dog, just has pup brain at the moment!!

Given the choice though it would be GSD all the way
ianandlynda
New Member!
Female 

25-02-2013, 08:14 PM
We looked on the net for a small, good natured breed that doesn't shed hair. Bobby our Bichon Bolognese ticked all the boxes and having had him now for 5 weeks we have not regretted it one little bit.
We have been doing charity work abroad for the past 7 years, before we left we always had a faithful companion. While abroad for obvious reasons we couldn't have one and missed it terrible. One week back and we were smitten! Can't live without having something wee and vulnerable to care for and he gives us so much pleasure, laughter and dare I say it, exercise too!!
Bones68
Dogsey Junior
Female 

25-02-2013, 09:03 PM
We first got a dog just over 16 years ago and never looked back. He was a collie cross from a rescue centre and as we don't have children, he was our world. The unconditional love and companionship we got from him was amazing and when he went to Rainbow Bridge last year it felt like our world had been torn apart. after spending 6 months without him, we knew we needed to fill the void and emptiness in the house and now have another collie cross pup.

After a stressful day at work, it's lovey to come home to a bundle of fur that is so pleased to see me.

There is nothing more calming and relaxing than a dog who wants to cuddle up on the sofa for a fuss in the evening.
Mandyuk1
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

25-02-2013, 10:45 PM
Hi
I grew up with dogs and cats surrounding us the first dog I owned once I'd left home was Sam a cairn terrier who was a rescue who was mistreated by girls and as we only had our son then he was the perfect dog for us, we had him for 4 years by when my daughter was 14 month and he unfortunately got a bit jealous and nipped my daughter so he went to live with a couple who just lost their 17 year old JR and got spoiled rotten but we did miss him lots and was a hard but correct thing to do.
We got Rosie our collie x 12 months ago and just came across her at the right time, my cat Diesel was at the grand old age of 18 and we debated long and hard until I looked into her eyes and that was that, of course she was coming home with me
manydogz
Dogsey Senior
Female 

26-02-2013, 06:31 AM
I currently have 5 chihuahua's, two are rescues, and a lovely black lab/basset hound cross. I find the chihuahua's to be an intelligent breed and they make excellent little heaters on chilly nights as they all dive under the covers with me. They keep themselves very clean and seldom need a bath. The lab/basset cross refuses to come in the house. She is an excellent watch dog and has a large, fenced yard and access to the screened porch for shelter and a dog house out in the yard that she never uses. I've had all kinds of dogs over the years from a 220 lb. english mastiff to a 3 lb. chihuahua. Have to admit that i'm a dog person and just love them all.
Julie
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

26-02-2013, 09:41 AM
I currently have a collie x retriever Mollie and a short coat chihuahua pup Betty, in the past have had lakeland terrier x jack russel Benny, Jack russel Toby, manchester terrier Lucy, corgi x jack russel Katie, long coat chihuahua Rosie.
Husband was brought up with labradors of various colours all called Trixie or Sheba, and had a black Lab Jamie when I met him.
Darcy Boy
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

12-03-2013, 06:02 PM
My first dog was a Lab x, he was very hyper & quite a handful for a first dog.

Then a cross (maybe sheltie, JR with a bit of whippet) we never knew for sure. She was such a wreck But turned out be a little darling.

Next a lurcher, he was very easy.

Then 2 whippets. The one I have now was a real handful as a puppy but has grown into a lovely dog.

Except for the whippets they were all rescues.
Baxter8
Dogsey Senior
Female 

12-03-2013, 06:09 PM
Wonderful idea for a thread.

Mine is staffie/boxer (we think) he was a rescue - found as a stray and sent to the pound. I love all dogs, I've yet to come across a dog that I don't like; but have a particular place in my heart for staffies.

My previous dog was also a staffie X - no idea what she was crossed with, she was wonderful.
scorpio
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

14-03-2013, 09:27 AM
Gosh, I can't believe this thread is over 6 years old...only seems like yesterday when I wrote it

I'm pleased to see it is still being used and holds loads of information
Page 23 of 24 « First < 13 20 21 22 23 24 >