View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Rolosmum
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

23-04-2011, 08:17 PM
I never wanted a dog and havent grown up with them, hubbys siblings have dogs and he has always wanted one. He got interested in ESS when his mum and stepdad were going to get two pups after a holiday, but sadly the stepdad died whilst they were away and his mum who was still working didnt feel that she could continue alone, so Poppy and Rowntree two liver and white english springers never came.

I resisted the thought of a dog because we both worked as childminders and couldnt see how we could combine the two jobs, we got to Sept last year and hubby did as he did at intervals bang on about a dog etc, and this time something felt different i felt i had no reason now for saying no, and couldnt justify a no! His sister (without OH knowing), said she would look after a pup whilst we were away at xmas if we went ahead and i told him when i had my head around the idea and he had already seen litters, of springers with some available, as we thought that they were friendly, and although high energy that is the kind of thing we wanted to be out and about in the woods and fields, not street walking etc. The size fitted in with our house and wasnt too big or bouncy for little children, so off we went and we chose our pup from the second litter we saw!

So we had bought everything and found a lovely little well bred pup inside 48 hours, and he has become (after our kids) the best thing we ever have done. Then I got the bug and decided i would like another, so after discussions with the breeder instead of getting another pup in september time this year, we got Ruby at 9months old, she is an absolute pleasure and these springers are turning out to be everything we hoped for and the love and fun (not so much the injuries), are making us really pleased with our choice of breed and the pups themselves.

We didnt get this breed of dog just because of his mums history, she passed away a couple of years ago, but there does seem to be something that feels right, and that we are fulfilling her unfulfilled dream and she can enjoy this from up high.
Kerryowner
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

23-04-2011, 08:58 PM
A one-eyed dog sadly as Cherry's eye operation wasn't a success

She is really playing the sympathy vote and working the crowds though. The amount of people she had saying how lovely she was and fussing her in "Pets at Home" today was unbelievable! Jamie had to come in to get me as it took me so long to get her a doggy Easter egg he wondered what I was doing

I keep hearing about other people's experiences of one-eyed/blind dogs. I could write a book on it soon! Didn't realise how common it is-after all how many one-eyed dogs have you met?

At our Doctor's surgery there is an arrow pointing up the stairs to the "artificial eye clinic" that meets once a month and this always mystified me as I can't imagine there being many people with artificial eyes can you? Sorry-I digress....
rueben
Dogsey Senior
Female 

26-04-2011, 09:57 AM
My doggie life began with working border collies on my dad's farm that where kept in a farm building not the house. The house pet was a male mongrel named Taddy a really friendly chappie. Married life began with a gsd crossed with I don't know what!! puppy that needed a home. We were dogless for a few years because of work situations. Then 15yrs. ago after taking only part time work we got our first boxer a male named Max a flashy brindle we soon added a full black masked red male with white markings named Ben. Sadly both have passed on and we now have a third boxer a 18 months old flashy red bobtail female named Ruby. I did consider trying another breed after losing my male boxers but that didn't last long as my heart had been taken by my love for the boxer breed.
Rolosmum
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

26-04-2011, 02:51 PM
Originally Posted by Kerryowner View Post
At our Doctor's surgery there is an arrow pointing up the stairs to the "artificial eye clinic" that meets once a month and this always mystified me as I can't imagine there being many people with artificial eyes can you? Sorry-I digress....
Yep my mum has an artificial eye, they had to remove one after the pressure build up caused by Glaucoma, my mum had the front of her eye taken off and a lens put in place. My mums eye was colour matched to her other one and has some degree of movement cos it is attached to the eye muscles.

I grew up with a girl who had an artificial eye and she had a proper glass eye which used to look like a dolls eye.

(not saying that to make you feel bad, just thought you might be interested.)
Kerryowner
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

26-04-2011, 08:53 PM
Originally Posted by Rolosmum View Post
Yep my mum has an artificial eye, they had to remove one after the pressure build up caused by Glaucoma, my mum had the front of her eye taken off and a lens put in place. My mums eye was colour matched to her other one and has some degree of movement cos it is attached to the eye muscles.

I grew up with a girl who had an artificial eye and she had a proper glass eye which used to look like a dolls eye.

(not saying that to make you feel bad, just thought you might be interested.)
Yes-thanks-I've never heard of anyone with an artificial eye. Sorry about your Mum-cause was the same with Cherry having to have her eye removed because of glaucoma pressure.
Rolosmum
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

26-04-2011, 09:20 PM
Yes-thanks-I've never heard of anyone with an artificial eye. Sorry about your Mum-cause was the same with Cherry having to have her eye removed because of glaucoma pressure.
She copes quite well with one eye, (she is 66) although she has cataracts recurring in that eye again now, mind you it is easier to write what isnt wrong than say what is!!

I have been fortunate to not particularly follow her healthwise and was given the all clear with my eyes at the weekend, which is good news for me cos my mums problems had started by my age.
Rolosmum
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

26-04-2011, 09:21 PM
She copes quite well with one eye, (she is 66) although she has cataracts recurring in that eye again now, mind you it is easier to write what isnt wrong than say what is!!

I have been fortunate to not particularly follow her healthwise and was given the all clear with my eyes at the weekend, which is good news for me cos my mums problems had started by my age.

Sorry to hear about your dog, not nice i know my mum had a considerable amount of pain with hers.
emma47
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

26-04-2011, 09:38 PM
Sorry off topic but my dads work mate has an artifical eye, he had a brain tumor and the only way they could guarantee to remove it all was by removing his eye to get to it.
smokeybear
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

26-04-2011, 09:44 PM
Sammy Davis Jr and Peter Falk seemed to cope ok with one eye.
EgyptGal
Almost a Veteran
Female 

26-04-2011, 09:51 PM
Originally Posted by emma47 View Post
Sorry off topic but my dads work mate has an artifical eye, he had a brain tumor and the only way they could guarantee to remove it all was by removing his eye to get to it.
Also know of someone who has a false eye because of cancer .Oh and on topic I have beagles.......probably because I'm mad
Page 22 of 24 « First < 12 19 20 21 22 23 24 >