Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Tillyann
New Member!
Female 

26-02-2009, 12:44 PM

Allergic Border collie

Hello everyone Ihave two Border collie bitches age 14 and 13. I live in Devon UK and I hope I am doing this OK. My youngest, Holly seems to be suffering from allergies if she isn't itching then she is sneezing really violently and seems to think grass is the answer. The vet tried Pyriton but after a month she is no better can anyone please help?
3dognight
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

26-02-2009, 01:16 PM
is the dog vomiting ,itchy ears and feet ,if so sounds like food allergies...trial and error is how i found out what she was allergic to ...corn,soya and peanut butter...
3dognight
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

26-02-2009, 01:19 PM
cigerett smoke also,will make a dog sneez,my friends dog is like this because of this smoking ,they have sence quit
Tillyann
New Member!
Female 

26-02-2009, 01:53 PM
Thankyou 3 dognight, nobody smokes and Holly is on Burns Senior which we have used for years. Her paws and ears were checked and vet found mild innfection in one ear which cleared up but she still sneezes. He even took xray and all her nasal cavities and ear canals were clear, hence the Pyriton. He thinks her worrying at flanks and legs could be Arthritis for which she has been on glucosamine&chondroitin for some years. I was recommended Evening Primrose but after 3 months no change. Vet wants to put her on steroids but I am worried about severe side effects previous dog had when this was used for skin problems years ago. Vet also mentioned dust allergy which I have and have to say she seems to suffer in same way.
madmare
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

26-02-2009, 02:04 PM
Allergies are a nightmare I know from experience. My dog milo is allergic to so much, most foods, dust mites, storage mites, fleas.
I would strongly reccomend an allergy test before going down the steroid route, in the meantime I will say just because he has been fine on a food for ages does not mean he won't suddenly strike up an allergy to an ingredient in it.
This happened with my dog Milo on several occasions and I cannot feed him on dried food at all because of the storage mite allergy he has now. In fact I seem to have only one food he can tolerate now. At the moment I have him under control without the use of any drugs but it has taken a long while to get there.
I have to keep the house as dust free as i can too.
Do you use any carpet or air freshners in the house as these can cause the symptoms you descibe.
If I can be of any help please feel free to ask.
3dognight
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

26-02-2009, 02:09 PM
its fustrating ,isnt it?i wish they could talk!!!steriod at a late age concernce me to ....sometimes the wash liquid for there linin will cause itching and sneezing ,there are so many ideas,its hadr to tell ...i hope some of my ideas may spark a solution,im tring to recall ......
Tillyann
New Member!
Female 

28-02-2009, 12:40 PM
thank you madmare, I did not know about storage mites, but I did notice a slight change for the better each time I give her Chappie chicken and rice which a vet recommended for another dog who had tummy problems, so I will try that, also I am giving her a New Era homeopathic treatment which can't do any harm even if it does not work. I know lots of people belive homeopathic remedies are daft but they do seem to work with some animals and humans. I do not believe in air fresheners or perfumed sprays because of my own problems, and keep my carpeted areas vacuumed regularly and damp dust the furniture.
mishflynn
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

28-02-2009, 12:44 PM
U could also try adding Garlic to her feed , which is good for Everything.

One of mine is a naturally itchy dog, hes improved so much since i statred them on the kronch salmon oil!

A few ideas for you!
madmare
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

28-02-2009, 06:04 PM
Originally Posted by Tillyann View Post
thank you madmare, I did not know about storage mites, but I did notice a slight change for the better each time I give her Chappie chicken and rice which a vet recommended for another dog who had tummy problems, so I will try that, also I am giving her a New Era homeopathic treatment which can't do any harm even if it does not work. I know lots of people belive homeopathic remedies are daft but they do seem to work with some animals and humans. I do not believe in air fresheners or perfumed sprays because of my own problems, and keep my carpeted areas vacuumed regularly and damp dust the furniture.
Yes try the chappie tinned by all means, (I feed my other dog on that for her delicate tummy) but in all honesty it is full of cereals which are usually one of the main allergy causes.. I couldn't feed chappie to Milo under any circumstances he would be scratching himself to bits.
Milo is fed Naturediet lamb and rice, He can't have fish or chicken as he reacts to those too.
Tillyann
New Member!
Female 

01-03-2009, 10:06 AM
thank you mishflynn and madmare, you are both very kind firstly, both my collies have garlic in their food, I do not know whether to try salmon oil as she cannot take cod liver oil but is okay with evening primrose. I have considered the nature diet and will definitely try it if the Chappie does not work out, thank you both again
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >