View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
katyb
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

24-03-2005, 10:34 PM
i could be wrong but i thought that the dog as originally called the german shepherd dog but during the war when everyone was a bit anti german they started calling it an alsation??? but german shepherd dog is the correct name and if anyone calls my dads dog an alsation he smacks them in the gob lol
Mr.Spock
Dogsey Senior
Female 

24-03-2005, 10:35 PM
They have 2 names because persons in the UK changed their name to Alsation while they are still known by their original name, German Shepherd Dog, in the US and Germany.

They are called GSD's because their German name, Deutsche Schäferhunde, translates into GSD in English.
mitch
Almost a Veteran
Female 

24-03-2005, 11:07 PM
God Karen you were really brave, I hope everyone recovers quickly.
Hope that poor Yorkie is ok
Kazz
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

24-03-2005, 11:52 PM
Hi Gang.

Actually I have been shaking ever since I posted I think it hit me, I have no idea why I decided to get involved. But thats me all over act first think later.

Anyhow the GSD's owners are nice people just they treat the dog like a baby I have met him when out with them before and he is very very very playful and full of life and doesn't have a nasty bone in him I don't think just they keep him on the flexi lead all the while and don't let him "meet" other dogs at all. But they don't have "expert" control over the flexi and sometimes appear to not know how to lock it or stop him.
He bumped into Sal one day they let him come round corners before they see who is there. Sal was on lead and he got a bit "carried away" but Sal took no notice and looked as if to say "puppies" but he is about 2 now. I think that may have been what happened tonight and the Airedale was not willing to be jumped on by an overgrown teenager.
The Airedale owner was not shouting the GSD couple were and a lady they were talking too (possibly why their attention wandered from the dog)
They just had no idea how to stop it and the Yorkie was just in the wrong place at the wrong time. It also appearsaccording to neighbours he Bobby the Yorkie also came out of his front door barking as he normaly does hence the loose GSD may have thought the Yorkie was challenging him. Also I have now been told his owners were trying to put on a normal lead when they loosed the flexi each thinking the other was holding it. Hence the loose GSD. A bit of a nightmare all round.

Karen
PurpleJackdaw
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

25-03-2005, 12:28 AM
It sound like a nightmare day for you
I hope the little dog will be ok
Not meaning to sound off or anything but if you have a big dog like a GSD you should be able to have control of it ,just imagine a child was out with their dog and it had went for it ,you got bitten but on a child it would have been worse these people need to be able to control their dog or it could end up PTS and somebody could end up even more hurt
Kazz well done you did your best and I would prob do the same ,its just one of these things I guess ,it happens
hope everything works out well in the end for everyone involved

Bev
x
Lorraine(bws)
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

25-03-2005, 06:28 AM
omg thats awful hope that you and everyone else are feeling that bit better now
Roxy
Dogsey Veteran
Female  Diamond Supporter 

25-03-2005, 07:28 AM
How awful Kazz! Years ago two of my dogs fought and my husband got bite. Mind you silly b****r did put his leg between them to split them up.
Gems
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

25-03-2005, 09:11 AM
Kazz how awful! hope everyone recovers!
Laura
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

25-03-2005, 09:20 AM
That is awful Kazz, I definitley think the GSD owner needs a visit from the police and the dog definitley needs to be muzzled as it will not now be a case of if but rather when. Usually when it has happened once it will happen again.

You know a similar incident happened to, funnily enough, a neighbours Yorkie which was attacked by three pitbulls (same ones that attacked Cassy) only he wasnt so lucky. It makes you mad. If I were you I would report the dog bites too, not out of badness or to have the dog PTS but really as a wake up call to the owner. The police are unlikely to do much (we were told this when Cassy was badly attacked) if it's a fight between two dogs but usually take a more stern view if somebody has been bitten somewhere along the line.

I will keep my fingers crossed that the wee dog recovers quickly (though its not always the physical wounds that prove the problem long term) and am thinking of your neighbour. Hope your bite wounds heal quickly and well done for helping out, it is very scary when it is happening right in front of you.
Dinahsmum
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

25-03-2005, 09:34 AM
OMG Kazz - just read this.

I hope all concerned managed to get some sleep last night and are feeling better today. What a hero you are! I hope I would have done the same and not wussed out.

Lots of good wishes for the Yorkie. 12 ish isn't a huge age for a little dog is it, and they're good and feisty so hope he's over the shock and will soon be fit and fine.

I could tell the story of the GSD attack on our last dog - Danny the totally inoffensive lurcher - which may or may not have led to his death, but I won't hijack this thread. Some other time maybe.

Take care
Page 3 of 6 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 >