Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Moobli
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

09-09-2012, 02:25 PM
Originally Posted by MerlinsMum View Post
I very much agree

Deep breath, Kirsty - did anyone get damaged?

A tiny puncture wound can happen by accident when teeth are flying - I have had that happen between Merlin & Rue when they were first getting to know one another, I call then 'dents'. They still sometimes have a spat, but it's all noise and "handbags at dawn" - just a canine shouting match which looks and sounds scary, and is over very fast.

My first thought too, was Yogi's elbows probably making him feel grouchy - and possibly also aware that he can't run away from trouble as easily as he once could, so more likely to adopt a defensive posture.

Maybe just keep calmer dogs around Yogi if you can, or maybe one other dog at a time, if group situations can lead to something like this?
Thanks MM. No, there were no injuries at all - which I am really surprised about tbh, as the level of the attack was of an apparent ferocity I haven't experienced with my guys before. All the dogs were wary of one another for a day afterwards, but all appears to be back to normal again now.

I am ringing the vet tomorrow about x-rays and pain relief and am managing their excitement levels as we head out - and I believe that will go a long way towards heading off another incident like this (I blo*dy hope so anyway!). I am also going to try and spend a bit more time with Yogi on his own, so he isn't feeling left out and grumpy.

Originally Posted by Ben Mcfuzzylugs View Post
Poor you, I hope your stress levels are getting to normal
I know it can be scary when my two get into it, when mia is high she physically can't back down and I have to shut her in her crate to calm down
Does sound like the dogs were a bit high and a knock, possibly with some pain caused an overreaction

I wouldn't be racing to neuter anyone, especially as it sounds like zac was just fighting back
Hope all is calm now
Thanks BenMc. The thing is that Zak didn't even fight back, he just submitted immediately, squealed and tried to get away, but Yogi wouldn't let him. Yogi has done this before to Moss, who just lay on the floor, submissive and whimpering, but Yogi continued his attack. It was directly after that attack that I rang the vet and booked Yogi in for neutering. I do now wonder if that was the right decision, but too late to go back now.

Hey ho - what fun multi dog households can be, eh!
Maisiesmum
Almost a Veteran
Female 

09-09-2012, 02:25 PM
Lady, our dobe does not tolerate barging and in the main, I have managed to stop polo running at her. I let polo get out of control at the beginning of a walk the other day. He gets aroused when lady runs fast past him. He caught up with her and then barked in her face as he blocked her - I just saw her do a triple air snap and run at him and hurled the leads between them. This just stopped it before it started. I then leashed both of them for a few mins to calm down.

I tend to grab the tail if a dog has a go and move them backwards. You then have a second to let go if they whirl around at you. Not that they ever have.
Hali
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

09-09-2012, 02:29 PM
Originally Posted by Moobli View Post
Thanks for your advice and confidence in me too Hali Since the fateful afternoon, I have been making both boys sit at either side of the gate before I open it for us to go for a walk. I carry a water spray which they get if they spark up at each other in excitement and, fingers crossed, so far it is working well.

Part of me thinks it is Yogi being jealous and Zak barging him being the last straw - as well as perhaps being in a wee bit more pain than I at first realised.

I am determined they will live peacefully together - even if they are never really friends, but they will have to learn to tolerate one another. Allan said he would take one of them on as his for the time being if I was concerned they may try to fight again, but I don't think that is the right way forward. I want both boys to be mine, and to learn to get along.
Yogi sounds sooo much like Hoki these days.

Remember I had a behaviourist in when things were at their worst - well some advice she gave me was (and don't forgot this was specifically for my dogs so may not be the same for yours, but it might give you some ideas):

Watch their body language carefully.

With Hoki, her eyes go really 'hard' when she's in an aggressive mood - sounds strange to say, but you can really tell when she's angry.

Work out the triggers and manage the situations before anything happens (as you say you've already started this by the pre-walk procedure)

If/when they've had a fight, treat them both equally afterwards - tell them both off but don't put the aggressor out of the way - keep them both equal distance from you and not looking directly at each other.

This was the hardest bit for Andy to deal with because as Hoki usually came off worse, he would always be angry with Stumpy and throw her outside while giving Hoki lots of attention. But he was ready to follow the behaviourist's advice and we soon saw that the tension dissolved much more quickly by following this.

What I also found helped was doing training sessions with them both rather than one to one time. So one has to stay in a down while the other one does a fetch or heelwork or even gets brushed - whatever. The important thing is the one that is lying patiently gets masses of praise and reward.

This really helped Hoki with her jealousy as she started to see Stumpy getting attention as a good thing.

Whilst I do know what you are saying about wanting both dogs to be yours, I think you should accept some help from Alan. For example, perhaps when you are out with Zak, Alan can give Yogi a bit of attention. Then make sure that you give Yogi attention when you are back (but as I say, possibly not one to one, but with Zak there)

Originally Posted by Moobli View Post
Thanks again Jeagi. I didn't see this reply until I saw it in Hali's reply. That sounds like a sensible way to deal with it, although could it be that Yogi might turn and bite me, thinking I am one of the other dog's getting a hold of him?
Yes, there is a real potential of this, particularly what you were saying about him turning on Rip which he wouldn't normally do. When H&S are in the 'red zone' I know damn well that any part of me that gets in the way will get bitten - not deliberately, but they are so worked up they don't even realise what they are doing.

Its good for you if water works - might be worth keeping a full bucket in the yard for the time being. It made no difference to H&S - they didn't even notice the water!
Moobli
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

09-09-2012, 02:32 PM
Originally Posted by ClaireandDaisy View Post
Ruddy dogs......
I agree that simply managing the situation is probably the way to go.
These boys need guidance - and you`re the woman to do it!
It is a bit of a faff to begin with but the dogs - and everyone else - will be happier.
Thanks Claire I have started the management process since the incident, and so far it is working well As you say, it is a bit of a faff to start with, but it will soon become routine.

Originally Posted by nickmcmechan View Post
Seems like you handled the situation very well, well done for that!

Lady's DA started when a dog nearby had a go at her on several occasions. However, it did get worse and not long after she was diagnosed with HA, so I think the health issues are probably the root cause. It's a long time (touch wood!) since anything has kicked off - managing her behaviour and her HA makes a huge difference. I've seen you with Zak a wee while ago and you strike me as one of those people who has a 'way about them with dogs', so I'm sure you'll handle the behavioural side very well (but I guess you know your vet will give you a referall form for a behaviourist if you feel you need that support)

(As a side note, since I started Lady on Rhus Tox a week or so ago her irritability has dropped; too early to tell if it's the Rhus Tox that has made a difference though)

No dog ended up in the vet and no human ended up in hospital after what happened - so if you take the emotion out of this all is OK really. Sorry if that is a cold comment, but it looks like one of the facts to me.

Do you have Metacam to hand - Yogi must be in a lot of pain right now?
Thanks for the compliments Nick As for your "cold comment", that is exactly how I felt the following morning. It could have been so much worse and, at the end of the day, no one (human or dog) was injured and peace appears to have resumed in the household once more. As I have said in a previous comment, I am just taking this as a wake-up call to manage the boys behaviour a bit more vigorously than I had been doing. Looking back, I think I had got a bit lax in letting Zak bounce around barking at Yogi when we were getting ready to go out.

I don't have metacam at home unfortunately, but am going to get some from the vet tomorrow and book him in for x-rays and further investigation.

I have heard really good things about rhus tox before. Worth a shot.
Moobli
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

09-09-2012, 02:34 PM
Originally Posted by Helen View Post
I swore by rhus tox when my old springer was alive. I felt it kept her off metacam right towards the end.

Kirsty, how are things between them now things have calmed down?

Helen
I know you have mentioned rhus tox to me loads of times Helen I really must get some. In fact, I have just ordered some from amazon!

Things seem to be back to normal now, thankfully.
Moobli
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

09-09-2012, 02:36 PM
Originally Posted by Kazz View Post
Sounds like Yogi is a one dog one family dog. Sharing is not something he does well but tolerates because he has too.
And Zak sounds like a pure boy like Dennis the menace (nice bits) full of go and love of life everything at 1000 miles an hour.
Seems like from reading your events that Zak elivates the level in Yogi's life to a level he is tolerating and every now and again Zak pushes the level above what he is willing to tolerate.

Sure it will be livable just seems like Yogi has had his nose out of joint and spending less time with you and his mobility issues mean he has more time to dwell on the situation....if they do.

Best of luck. I think the fire extinguisher was a brilliant idea.
Oh wow - you sound like you really know my two boys, as you have their personalities down to a tee
Moobli
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

09-09-2012, 02:41 PM
Originally Posted by merryvale View Post
I think you need to monitor Yogi very carefully from now on. Although there was no harm done on this occasion once these things escalate it can and does turn into a blood bath rapidly in a lot of cases. Each time a dog launches an attack the intensity level goes up. He may not, but who can say with certainty he won't attack again. He could very well be in pain with his elbow which won't be helping but I would not lay all the blame on that alone. Dogs are very stoic and if the pain in his elbow is due to ED he will have had pain in the joint for some time and will have got used to it to some degree.

Sorry if I seem all doom but you have large dogs and if a serious fight were to break out if you were on your own with them you would have real problems splitting them up. I will keep fingers crossed that everything settles down.
I agree with you 100%. Yogi is a s*d at times, and the longevity of his attacks, while few, have been more prolonged each time. I think the thing that saved injuries this time (and the other times) is that the dog he has had a go at (Zak three times now and Moss once) do not fight back. If Zak were to retaliate with the intensity that Yogi appears to fight, then I could have a real problem. I don't delude myself at all.

I also agree that, while Yogi's current health condition may be causing him some discomfort and/or pain, that is not the entire cause of the fight breaking out.

Personally, I think the key to managing them is keep them separate when no one is here (which I already do), and to manage the levels of excitement when embarking on a walk etc.

Yogi has never attacked "for no reason", but it does seem that he has a low tolerance level.
Moobli
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

09-09-2012, 02:44 PM
Originally Posted by merryvale View Post
I have on occasion in the past had to split up fighting dogs and it always took two of us,each grabbing a dog by the collars and jerking them away as soon as they let go. Bitches were the worst by far, when they had hold of each other they really meant it. A friend had two bitches that had got along fine for yrs, then one day hell broke out and I had a frantic phone call to go help her part them. She had to rehome one of them as they tried to kill each other every chance they got after that. Males are usually easier to seperate. On one occasion a jet of water from a hosepipe in their faces was enough to make them back off long enough for us to spirit them away from each other. I've never tried lifting them of their back legs though so not sure if it would work with big powerful dogs in full battle mode.
I think if water works, I would rather try that first than attempt to lift their back legs off the ground - I have heard from a number of people that that is the best way to stop a dog fight, but it sounds to me as though there would be quite a risk involved.
Moobli
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

09-09-2012, 02:50 PM
Originally Posted by Maisiesmum View Post
Lady, our dobe does not tolerate barging and in the main, I have managed to stop polo running at her. I let polo get out of control at the beginning of a walk the other day. He gets aroused when lady runs fast past him. He caught up with her and then barked in her face as he blocked her - I just saw her do a triple air snap and run at him and hurled the leads between them. This just stopped it before it started. I then leashed both of them for a few mins to calm down.

I tend to grab the tail if a dog has a go and move them backwards. You then have a second to let go if they whirl around at you. Not that they ever have.
That is the real key isn't it - to stop it before it gets started. That is the management I have in place now. I am just not going to tolerate any barking at each other and am not even going to allow rough play any more, as that can quickly turn to aggression against one another.
Moobli
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

09-09-2012, 02:51 PM
Originally Posted by Hali View Post
Yogi sounds sooo much like Hoki these days.

Remember I had a behaviourist in when things were at their worst - well some advice she gave me was (and don't forgot this was specifically for my dogs so may not be the same for yours, but it might give you some ideas):

Watch their body language carefully.

With Hoki, her eyes go really 'hard' when she's in an aggressive mood - sounds strange to say, but you can really tell when she's angry.

Work out the triggers and manage the situations before anything happens (as you say you've already started this by the pre-walk procedure)

If/when they've had a fight, treat them both equally afterwards - tell them both off but don't put the aggressor out of the way - keep them both equal distance from you and not looking directly at each other.

This was the hardest bit for Andy to deal with because as Hoki usually came off worse, he would always be angry with Stumpy and throw her outside while giving Hoki lots of attention. But he was ready to follow the behaviourist's advice and we soon saw that the tension dissolved much more quickly by following this.

What I also found helped was doing training sessions with them both rather than one to one time. So one has to stay in a down while the other one does a fetch or heelwork or even gets brushed - whatever. The important thing is the one that is lying patiently gets masses of praise and reward.

This really helped Hoki with her jealousy as she started to see Stumpy getting attention as a good thing.

Whilst I do know what you are saying about wanting both dogs to be yours, I think you should accept some help from Alan. For example, perhaps when you are out with Zak, Alan can give Yogi a bit of attention. Then make sure that you give Yogi attention when you are back (but as I say, possibly not one to one, but with Zak there)

Yes, there is a real potential of this, particularly what you were saying about him turning on Rip which he wouldn't normally do. When H&S are in the 'red zone' I know damn well that any part of me that gets in the way will get bitten - not deliberately, but they are so worked up they don't even realise what they are doing.

Its good for you if water works - might be worth keeping a full bucket in the yard for the time being. It made no difference to H&S - they didn't even notice the water!
Thanks for all those tips Hali, I certainly think they are going to be very useful in the coming days/months. Thank you x
Page 7 of 11 « First < 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 > Last »