Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Moobli
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

11-09-2012, 02:24 PM
Originally Posted by twix View Post
No, definitely not.

My first 2 (male) dogs lived together for 10 years very peaceably. There was just over a year in age difference so the 2nd one really bonded with the first. Nothing changed even when the 2nd one was used at stud, and then we kept 2 of his sons (different ages) so 4 males together.

Your Zac came in as a juvenile so that might have made a difference. The 2 entire males we have now are aged 6 & 4 and have grown up together. The younger one is a different character, he's not interested in balls & frisbees or food orientated so not much competition for the older one and i wouldnt class him as a hassle merchant. I think the dog i had that fought with my Yogi actually enjoyed a punchup. (In their case neither had any medical condition).

I have had bitches fight & put it down to hormones usually, but on one occasion my (then) 2 old girls tried to get on the same bed during a thunderstorm which turned into a fight. I could never get them together again (shame), they'd lived peaceably together for 11 years, & had even shared puppies.
It seems to often be the case with bitches, once they have had a serious fight. I love males, but after having these issues with Yogi, do think if I keep two dogs together in the future, it will be a dog and a bitch to minimise these kinds of problems. Having said that, Yogi seems to be the main issue here and my other males live happily together (and both are entire). So it is probably more down to his personality/health issues rather than the fact Yogi is male.
Kerriebaby
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

11-09-2012, 02:30 PM
Originally Posted by Moobli View Post
Thanks Kerrie. My memory is not what it once was
Hehehehe...Im not Kerrie, the dog is...I am Claire x
Moobli
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

11-09-2012, 02:35 PM
Originally Posted by Ramble View Post
Dog fights are scary things Biff and Mo had a phase of fighting and it was awful so have a hug.

Yogi sounds frightened to me. I would be approaching all of this really carefully and in all honesty would be avoiding the use of an aversive like a water spray until I was
absolutely certain what the trigger was. He does sound nervous to me and as Wys said this could be remembered pain or another incident.

We had a minor scuffle with our last foster and Tango. I had no real idea what the trigger was. I assumed it was food. I was wrong. It turned out our foster didn't give warnings to other dogs ( or vets lol) we think she had been punished for it in the past ( long story) and Tango reacted to whatever the foster had done on the quiet ( baring teeth we think). My long winded point is that we can spend hours wondering over the trigger and assume the dog that attacked is at fault, when actually it has come from another dog ( if you see what I mean).

Yogi does sound worried and nervous to me and the whole incident sounds like it may well have made
him worse in that respect. If it was me I would try to keep them apart and introduce them slowly and positively ( and calmly), easier said than done I know. I would also stop the water pistol and look at other ways of maintaining a calm on walks. It's worth remembering that adrenalin levels can stay high for a couple of days once they are up. Perhaps look at the whole walk routine and change it for a while?

It may well be worth getting Yogi xrayed too. I may be a bit biased because of Tango but she reacts to other dogs aggression and warnings but doesn't start things herself, she has made me reassess how I see fights and scuffles.

Hope you get it sorted. Dog fights are so noisy and frightning
Thanks for your input Ailsa. It is helpful to have different viewpoints, which in turn make me look at the various possible scenarios. It could be that Yogi is worried about being run into by one of the other dogs - and Zak is definitely a bit of a bulldozer. However, the water spray is used to calm Zak down before he gets on a high when we are out for a walk. I am not really using it for Yogi at all and I am also using it as a marker (together with the word "calm") for Zak. I didn't have to use it at all today - just the fact the dogs knew I had it made them calmer at the outset of our walk.

Regarding keeping them separate, that isn't really practical to enforce as they both live indoors, however Yogi does tend to segregate himself from the rest of us and spends much of his time at home either in the garden or the porch. He has always done this. I am trying to make all associations between them positive though - ie walking them together, including them both in play (not allowing it to get to an excited level though), giving them high-vale treats for sitting side by side etc. Over time, I hope to reinforce to Yogi that being around Zak is fun for us all, and I am also controlling Zak's playfulness around Yogi, so Yogi learns that he doesn't have to fear being hurt.

It was scary and even though the dogs all appear back to normal, I am still on tenterhooks a bit.

After a thorough check I also found a couple of puncture wounds on Rip yesterday morning, which is to be expected I suppose, but still made the fight that bit more serious than I suspected.
Ramble
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

11-09-2012, 02:41 PM
Fights are so horrid and leave us shaken up possibly more than the dogs.
Sounds like Yogi is worried about Zak and Zak may be a bit pushy, especially given Yogi is neutered. Given uou are controlling Zak more than Yogi you can't do anymore than you are, except maybe give Yogi some space from Zak and Rip and don't let them bug him. Maybe walk him alone a couple of times a week and give him a breather. If he is anxious that could really help.

I agree with your previous post, having a girl and a boy is a lot easier than 2 of the same sex

Sure you will get it sorted.
Moobli
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

11-09-2012, 02:50 PM
Thanks Ailsa. I have to remain confident the problem can be either sorted out or at the very least managed effectively, as I couldn't bear to part with any of my dogs.

While it is possible that Yogi may be worried, he is also a bit of a bully himself and will think nothing about attempting to floor one or two of the working collies when we walk all the dogs together. He has a complex nature. Zak isn't really pushy as such, but just very enthusiastic and bouncy and I wonder if his attempts to get Yogi to play just irritate the hell out of Yogi. He can be a real sulky bum!

Anyway, thanks for your good wishes
Sosha
Almost a Veteran
Female 

11-09-2012, 02:51 PM
To be fair a friends elderly terrier occasionally knocks the snot out of his youngster if she gets barged. Though all she does is make with the scaries or if pushed occasionally flatten her.

Do NOT knock into the old lady.
Moobli
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

11-09-2012, 02:53 PM
Originally Posted by Kerriebaby View Post
Hehehehe...Im not Kerrie, the dog is...I am Claire x
Sorry Claire! My brain has turned to mush today!
Kerriebaby
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

11-09-2012, 02:55 PM
Originally Posted by Moobli View Post
Sorry Claire! My brain has turned to mush today!
PMPL...tis fine...its called Mummy brain
Moobli
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

11-09-2012, 02:55 PM
Originally Posted by Sosha View Post
To be fair a friends elderly terrier occasionally knocks the snot out of his youngster if she gets barged. Though all she does is make with the scaries or if pushed occasionally flatten her.

Do NOT knock into the old lady.
Page 11 of 11 « First < 8 9 10 11