Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Buster & Bella
Dogsey Senior
Female 

24-02-2005, 08:11 AM

Buster

Hi all

As some you of u may remember I am Buster's mum who is now a 3 month old gorgeous tan coloured staff.

Having problems with him at the mo! My boyfriend has gone away to work so its just me and Busty at the mo but he just doesnt listen to me and is so naughty that its starting to upset me cus a few times i have lost my temper with him and smacked him.

He has taken to barkin for attention, ripping up his training pad, running away from me when i call him when we are out walking, weeing anywhere he wants when he was always going on his pad, not wanting to cuddle me and just bite everything!

I am really upset at the moment cause of the guilt and cause he wont listen to me!

I know i go to work but i come home at lunchtime to feed and walk him.

Any advice please much appreciated.
Buster & Bella
Dogsey Senior
Female 

24-02-2005, 08:49 AM
???
Buster & Bella
Dogsey Senior
Female 

24-02-2005, 08:54 AM
hello can any1 help i am quite upset this morning and could do with advice from some1 who understands??? pls
Murphy
Almost a Veteran
Female 

24-02-2005, 09:12 AM
Hi Buster I'm probably no help at all but yes I do understand how totally overwhelming a new pup can be -especially one as boisterous as a staffie
When murph was little my mate called round to find him running round the house with my best pot plants and me sitting in the corner blubbing covered in paw prints lol

If he where mine -I'd remove all stuff out of his reach -is there a reason for the pad thing or can he go outside for a wee ?? -I know if I put one down my two would rip it to shreds in moments .
Has he got stuff to chew ?? He needs to chew as his teeth are coming through so he's got to chew something -a frozen t-towel is a good one for teething pups ( Old One obviously )
A kong toy stuffed with some of his food and cream cheese may keep him occupied for a while .
As for the running off -don't let him off the lead -use either a flexi ( on a harness ) or a long line of some kind .
If you do little bursts of training with him with treats he will be more responsive to you - just five minutes here and there of sits etc -a game with a ball -treat him for bringing it back will help instill a bit of recall - you can do it down the hall .
I hope a little bit of this helps -feel free to ignore it all if you like
But you're not alone ..trust me ..and I hope you feel better soon
Shadowboxer
Fondly Remembered
Female  Diamond Supporter 

24-02-2005, 10:05 AM
Calm down

You have a very normal puppy.

Go back to basics with the toilet training.

Try to introduce him to a crate.

Never let him off lead when walking until recall is reliable.

Probably he is teething so give him things to chew, e.g. knotted frozen towels, stuffed kongs.

Totally ignore his barking for attention.

Do not lose your temper. Do not hit him. This will make things worse in the long run.

Sorry to be brief but have just come in from training a class. Mini may be along later today to help you. If not, I will try to expand on the above tomorrow (later today your time)

candie
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

24-02-2005, 10:45 AM
Please don't hit him again as he will just learn to hate and fear you.get the perfect puppy book by gwen bailey, it goes through all you need to know about puppy rearing right from scratch, but please don't hit him again...
ps everything he is doing at the moment is perfectly normal for a pup of his age, he is still only a tiny baby yet
Buster & Bella
Dogsey Senior
Female 

24-02-2005, 11:07 AM
Thank you all so much.

I know i know i wont hit him again its just its been a very hard week with just me and him cus he is very good for my boyfriend.

he has loads of toys including a kong, not sure how i do the food thing with it tho.

i have decided not to let him of his lead anymore, he did start off really good which is why i would let him off.

we are in a flat at tho mo so no garden (moving soon) and he has been really good with going on his training pad until this week.

i am going to shut him in the hallway (he lives here and it is v large) if he is naughty or pees again. normally i say bed and he goes but then comes sneaking back in.

i am going to try my hardest with him the next few days.

thanks so much for your help and encouraging advice murphy shadow and candice.

murphy thanx its good to know some1 else sheds tears over their naughty pups. x
Buster & Bella
Dogsey Senior
Female 

24-02-2005, 01:47 PM
I just popped home to feed and walk Buster in my lunch hour and the good boy did not tear up his training pad and went on there as soon as he got a bit 2 excited so i took him for a quick walk and kept him on the lead and he did very well so i am much happier at the mo and made sure i gave him loads of love and a treat.

2night we are going to visit my younger brother who has a yorkie so that should be fun cus the other dog he first met wasnt 2 nice to him but i am sure ozzy will be.
Emma-836592
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

24-02-2005, 01:54 PM
aww glad you are feeling better B, they are a handful and need loads of time and patience (just like kids, i have 3 of those too )

he just needs to know his boundaries with both you and OH
Buster & Bella
Dogsey Senior
Female 

24-02-2005, 02:15 PM
thanks emma!

how would i cope with kids!!!!!!!!!!!! he he
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >