Our sister sites
Our sister sites
borderbob
Dogsey Junior
Female 

16-01-2010, 10:03 AM

Bob bad today - wont eat, blood in stools

Hi
Ihave posted a few times re Bob - currently on antib's for campylobacter - but is also IBD case. He has been doing fine for a while (eating orijen, yoghurt) - sometimes JWB lamb and rice - just as a treat when he wouldnt eat orijen.
Today tho he has not eaten and blood in stools, tummy making horrendous noises - need to get something in to him - also got some zantac to line stomach but wont take.
He is not on meds yet for IBD as waiting final result for camp to see if clear.

So-
gurgling tummy, moisy
nauseous
blood in stools

is that typical of IBD?

help... advice
madmare
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

16-01-2010, 10:10 AM
Milo didn't have those symptoms with his IBD but symptoms can vary, so can't comment if that is it.
You must get the Zantac into him, just syringe it into his mouth, they hate it but thats what I done with Milo to make sure he always got the dose. Give before food too.
I would personally give the vet a ring, you don't want to leave him like that all weekend in case he becomes dehydrated.
ATD
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

16-01-2010, 10:57 AM
Are they not the symptoms of compylabactor
ATD x
Meg
Supervisor
Female  Diamond Supporter 

16-01-2010, 11:18 AM
Hi Jack how old is Bob. I think as Madmare says I would ring the vet particularly as Bob is already on medication.

I would also withdraw all dog food until the tummy settles down and the stools are clear of blood and more solid . Instead feed small frequent meals just a couple of tablespoons at a time of of well boiled white rice and white fish . You can buy blocks of frozen coley or cod in the supermarket six blocks in a pack for around £3, as it is pure fish so you don't need at lot for each meal .

You can also feed chicken but the fast reared chickens we have these days tend to have a lot of fat so I would remove the skins/cook and remove any fat.
The stools may remain pale while you are feeding rice but the blood and mucous should disappear. I would not begin to slowly reintroduce dog food until you have had two days of clear stools.

Ps I cook chicken thighs in a foil covered dish/allow to cool/remove the bones and fatty skin leaving just the meat. Save the liquid and when it is cold remove the fat and you will have a lovely jelly you can add to the chopped meat and rice.
borderbob
Dogsey Junior
Female 

16-01-2010, 12:45 PM
Hi
Not sure if this still could be campylobacter - he doesnt usually get the blood thing usually just early morning sickness which i thought i had managed with regular feeding and a late night feed.

He has just eaten some nature diet - will give some live yoghurt maybe later to sooth tum.

this is the problem, stil unsure if campy has been in system for months/years, previous owners never did anything about it!
or, could be ibd - so doing final faecal test next week to see if clear from campy

thanks
JoedeeUK
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

16-01-2010, 02:01 PM
Don't forget if you feed rice to slightly overcook it so it is"sticky"like Indian rice, that way the carbohydrate is available to the dog. Fingers crossed for him