Our sister sites
Our sister sites
tokiayla
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

14-01-2010, 07:36 PM

Nail Trimming Nightmares!!

Oh gawd - I've really messed up

I've always been really good at clipping Stone's nails - he's never been mad keen but will put up with it. They grow quite quickly so I do need to do them often.

Here's the problem:-
A couple of months ago I bloomin well caught one of his nails on his back foot - it didn't bleed - was just a bit pink. Stone cried like a baby and lay flat on the floor. I picked him up and carried on and caught another one the same. Totally my fault. I gave him his treat cos he knows he always gets one after.

A few weeks later, round 2, he was not impressed and trembled the whole time and tried to lie down. I just took the tiniest bit off each. He ran straight to his bed after and I took his treat to him, done.

Now I just have to open the drawer with the clippers in and he legs it to his bed and crouches shaking.

His front ones really need done and I've been putting it off.
Apart from the fact that I was clearly rubbish at trimming them that day, I realise I have also treated him when he has been a quivering wreck.

Any suggestions as to how I can proceed now?

I feel if I just try to carry on as usual I could make it even worse than it already is. Help! Poor Stone!

This pic wasn't a result of nail clipping, but it his best 'sorry for myself - please save me from my cruel mum' look
Borderdawn
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

14-01-2010, 08:42 PM
Try a dremel nail grinder instead, you can get them from B&Q. Most dogs are fine with them, mine are even the one that HATED the nail clippers!
Velvetboxers
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

14-01-2010, 09:17 PM
Yep agree. You can get clippers with a guard but the dremel or pedipaws are kinder for your dog. Treat after you do each nail & as hes bit spooked, i would tend to do one foot at a time over four days.
tokiayla
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

14-01-2010, 09:36 PM
My clippers have got a guard

Thanks for the suggestions - I have seen those but was not sure about them. Are they easy to use? I've got some stupid idea about it sounding like a circular saw.....is it quite quiet? Does it work reasonably quickly?

I've been sitting here thinking about getting the clippers out tonight and doing one nail to see how bad he was but decided against it. Think I'll go shopping tomorrow then!

Thank guys!
Velvetboxers
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

14-01-2010, 11:42 PM
I got the Pedipaws recently but think I should have got the Dremel. Its not what you would call noisey, try it on one of your own nails first, then let your boy smell it off and then on but not near his feet, the Pedipaws gives you instructions. My older girls nails are very hard and it takes it longer to work on hers whereas the younger two it does much faster. I only do their front feet one day and back the next with lots of praise and cheese treats
Meg
Supervisor
Female  Diamond Supporter 

14-01-2010, 11:59 PM
Hi Kay have you seen this video on nail trimming a dog who is scared of having its nails touched first posted by Wysiwyg....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?gl=GB&h...&v=bgEwiH8CeUE
meanvixen
Dogsey Junior
Female 

15-01-2010, 08:47 AM
i use the dremel on mine and there all fine with it
Fluffypup
Dogsey Junior
Female 

15-01-2010, 09:02 AM
I used the dremel on boris from very young and he was fine with it. Then one day he decided he wouldn't have it anywhere near him and I haven't been able to persuade him otherwise. It is quite noisy and if your dog has hard nails, it vibrates on their nail quite a lot and it takes quite a long time to shorten them (you have to stop every now and then to avoid burning). I just clip his nails now, a couple each week as he doesn't like it, but he does like the cheese piece he gets afterwards! Have you tried using the clippers but getting someone to help you as I find if my OH holds his collar, after lifting his foot a couple of times to avoid it, he just gives in and lets me do a couple.
Anne-Marie
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

16-01-2010, 06:51 PM
Sid accidentally cut Lola's wick a few weeks ago when trimming hers (we use clippers). After that, she got flinchy and would struggle when you went near her with them.

I took it back to basics very slowly. Initially just having her on my lap and when she was completely relaxed picking up the clippers but doing nothing other than hold them. Once she realized nothing bad would happen, I then lightly touched one nail with the tip of the clipper. When she didn't move her foot she got a piece of kibble. I slowly progressed onto each nail doing the same thing and giving her lots of praise when she did well and a wee treat.

After a few days of this, I then started putting a bit more pressure on the nail (still not trying to cut them). She only got the treat if she accepted the clippers totally. From there we progressed to cutting the nail properly - which she fully accepts and waits for her treat!

I think if they have been hurt it's only natural for them to lose confidence, so we have to build it back up again. It worked for me anyway, cutting her nails is a doddle now!!
Helena54
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

16-01-2010, 07:03 PM
I've done this in the past with Georgie, but thankfully, he must have forgotten about it coz he's fine now! I use the clippers with the guard at the back, and do them about once a month, and take just the tiny end off and no more, but I'm lucky that his are pure white, I can see the blood very clearly, whereas Zena's are black, so I have to be extra careful with her. I always wait till bedtime, when they're nice and relaxed and are eating their little bedtime markies, and I just do it then, and touch wood I haven't had a problem.

I've got the dremmel, but quite honestly, there were so many attachments for it, I got bog-eyed wondering which one to use, and it's sooooo big and bulky, (compared to a nice little pair of nail clippers), I felt sure Zena would leg it if I approached her with it, especially with the noise too, so haven't yet used it, but one day I might.

How about going to your vet surgery and seeing one of the nurses there to do it, and that way, she might be able to calm her down enough for you to take over again in the future? She could also show you exactly how much you can safely take off without drawing blood ever again? Good luck!
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >