Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Ripsnorterthe2nd
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

12-09-2007, 12:09 AM

Our walk today - back to my homeland! *English Springer + Weardale!*

I've been meaning to do this walk for many years, but with Woody being poorly and consequently passing away and Isla being too young, I've had to put it off - until now!

I've been on annual leave this week (parents away in the caravan) and so after checking the weather forecast thought today would be just right for this walk.

It starts in Wolsingham and goes down the river to Frosterley (the village I grew up in) and then back along the moor. It's a biggie, 10 miles, but just had to give it a go!

Setting out, still got loads of energy!

Come on slow coach!

Coming towards Frosterley, this is where I spent the first five years of my life. Stealing stones for the new house and watching Jeff (my brother) have tantrums when his kite wouldn't fly!

A bridge known as Kenneths Bridge, scared the bejesus out of me as a child cos it wobbles when you walk across it. Weirdly the exact same 2 boards still shift when you walk over them!

And a view from the footpath we all used to walk:

And here, sadly, is the place where Bobby out PRT at the time, froze to death. In those days the pit was full of water and not fenced off. Bobby ran off when my sister was walking him, slid down the side, through the ice and couldn't get out. They all tried in vain to save him, but the cold got to him and he disappeared beneath the surface. I don't think my sister has ever forgiven herself.
God rest his soul.

The railway line that runs through the village. Not in use in my day, but now reopened for tourists in the summer.

And here's the house my Dad had built, where I lived until the age of 5. Not changed much, the shutters were green originally and I'm sure the house used to be white! It was also originally called "Mill House", but is now No.7. Bit of a shame really.

Crossing the railway line again on our way to the moor.

A view on the way up.

A group of trees called The Elephant Trees locally as they resemble a pair of Elephants from a distance. Couldn't see it myself, but looking at the pics I can sort of see why! Pics are taken insequence as we get closer to them.

A couple of pics of Isla on the way up.

Some of the locals!

Another view.

And finally we got to the Elephant Trees themselves. Not sure what type they are?

And to end some shots of Isla on the Moor:

Gone!

Can't help but feel these two need a touch up in Photoshop?

Don't ask!

Photoshopped this one myself to take out my shadow!

And finally one to show how quickly the weather can change in the Dales.

Thanks for looking, hope you enjoyed them as much as I did!
Brandykins
Fondly Remembered
Female 

12-09-2007, 12:20 AM
Oh I thoroughly enjoyed all those lovely photos - you should put them up on Yo Photography! It mus have been a trip down memory lane for you. Lovely of you to share those memories. That is a lovely dog.

Really lovely pics.
Ripsnorterthe2nd
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

12-09-2007, 12:28 AM
Ooooh no, I'm definitely no photographer! I just point, shoot and hope!

It was definitely a trip down memory lane, if a slightly bizarre one, cos the sun was shining! :smt043

Thanks for the comments though, glad you enjoyed the pics!

And Isla!
MistyBlue
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

12-09-2007, 01:02 AM
wow what great pics!!! lovely dog and lovely views!!!
i wish i lived where you do!!!
Moobli
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

12-09-2007, 10:07 AM
Really enjoyed the pictorial walk - looks a fantastic area.
Trouble
Dogsey Veteran
Female  Diamond Supporter 

12-09-2007, 10:19 AM
Loved the story told in pictures and it looked like a glorious walk too thanx for sharing.
Anne-Marie
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

12-09-2007, 10:33 AM
What great pictures, lovely to see where you grew up. So sad about your dog Bobby, that must have been so distressing for your sister

Wonderful shots, I bet you were both hungry after that jaunt!
rachelsetters
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

12-09-2007, 10:36 AM
That was wonderful - felt like I was walking it myself - I have a few setters that would love that walk!

Lovely story telling along the way - got sad about your PRT - but then cheered up reading all the other tales - loved the elephant trees and the kenneth bridge !

Isla looked like she certainly enjoyed the walk - some stunning pics of her and of the views - thank you for posting them!
Helen
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

12-09-2007, 11:02 AM
Lovely set of photos - what a fantastic walk.

Is Hamsterly near there? I meet a friend there for a walk every now and then and I'm sure I passed a signpost for Wolsingham?

Helen
elmac13
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

12-09-2007, 12:17 PM
That was a real trip down memory lane for you. Nice that things hadn't changed too much. Isla looks rarin to go at the beginning and towards the end...knackered! Lovely photos of her out and about!
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >