Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Sigrid
New Member!
Female 

11-08-2009, 04:15 PM

Call of the Wild (problem with recall)

Hi, I am new to this site and don't really know how to post here, but will try my best.
I have a 15 months old Utonagan male called Misun(well, no more male anymore) Up until I saw the pictures of the 2 'Northies' which were 15 months old (the lovely shaggy ones from Bolton) at time of posting did I think that I was doing quite well with my fellow, who is a very lovely and loving and absolutely harmless dog. BUT I dare not let him off lead when out with him because he forgets what 'recall' means when he hears, smells or sees something more interesting than me which is a lot. He seems to close his ears and off he goes at full speed not to return until he feels like. The problem is there are very many roads with heavy traffic and he might get killed in his eagerness to follow whatever excites him (as has happend to a friend's husky). Therefore no more off lead, poor boy. I thought this behaviour was breed specific, but having seen those 2 fellows pictured here I think that it is only him (and of course me) who got it wrong. Should I get another one to keep him company? But that might multiply the problem.
Please any helpful info from owners of this type of doggy would be much appreciated.
Sigrid
terrier69
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

11-08-2009, 04:26 PM
Hi Sigrid,
I would assume that as Ute's have similar/the same breeds in their history as NI's, such as huskies/mals/who knows, then recall takes a lot of training.
There are these breeds who will recall, but a lot, like mine are not 100% and become deaf when they see something they want to check out.
At least you are aware and can keep him on a training line or flexi unless somewhere totally safe for him to be let off.
Sigrid
New Member!
Female 

11-08-2009, 04:45 PM
Ho Wishbone,
Thanks for the speedy reply and reassurance. Yes I think Ute and NI are the same mix, Utonagan is a 'newer' name for the NI (or a break-away from the NI tradition), mean Spirit of the Wolf or To Resemble the Wolf, I am sure I am not telling you anything new. I have had GDSs before (needed really not much training and no walkies - all enclosed in a big compound in Africa - they trained each other) So that's why this boy Misun has taken me by surprise! BUT I do not want to exchange him for anything in this world, and lead it will be until he can run slower than me - by then I will be 80!)
Sigrid
New Member!
Female 

11-08-2009, 04:47 PM
It always pays to read even the first word of a posting (at least at my age), of course I mean HI Wishbone- sorry!
Vicki
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

11-08-2009, 04:56 PM
I have a renegade (!) Shiba Inu who will NOT come back to me when called. He is constantly on-lead.

It's one of those things, I'm afraid.
tawneywolf
Female  Gold Supporter 

11-08-2009, 04:59 PM
Hi
I am the Keeper Of The Norties I take mine to GSD training and I also work with them every day. They do have a strong prey drive, but it varies from dog to dog, and they are very keen to learn new things but have a fairly short attention span and get bored easily so you have to keep your training short and interesting for them.
Glad you like my girlies, Cariad has just had 7 pups, who all have new homes now and I miss them like crazy. I still have one of them here as her new Mummy is taking her holidays and then collecting her. Here is a piccie I took of her this morning to send to her new mummy so she can watch her grow up.

I am afraid as you are new on here you won't be able to pm me, but my e mail is donehogawa.utonagans@yahoo.co.uk if you want to have a chat.
Tupacs2legs
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

11-08-2009, 06:55 PM
Originally Posted by wishbone View Post
Hi Sigrid,
I would assume that as Ute's have similar/the same breeds in their history as NI's, such as huskies/mals/who knows, then recall takes a lot of training.
There are these breeds who will recall, but a lot, like mine are not 100% and become deaf when they see something they want to check out.
At least you are aware and can keep him on a training line or flexi unless somewhere totally safe for him to be let off.
hi
i have sibes and and an ni.ias they are a mix of breeds they can take after any one of their 'relatives'.i am lucky whereas my n.i has the colouring of a sibe but is very g.s.d in character.it sounds your lad may take after his sibe part,so you may never fully trust him off lead in a non fenced in eviroment.there are plenty of activities he could do though!.
also bear in mind he may be sill in his 'teenage' being a male of this breed he is still very young.so by training and helping him through it,he still may be able to be let off.untill you can trust him imo he shouldnt be let off but use this time to train and bond even more
good luck (have i missed any piccies of him?)
Lou
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

11-08-2009, 09:51 PM
alady??
Dogsey Senior
Female 

11-08-2009, 09:58 PM
Hi Im Lanie [edited,please read our Posting Guidelines with reference to other forums] they are a very willful breed, and they do vary somewhat, as tawney says some have a prey drive so it really isnt advisable to have them off lead near small animals or other strange dogs.

Most have a good recall and can be off if there are no small furries or distractions... They usually have a distance...which by which I mean if the distance between you and them is smaller than between them and the distraction when you call they come back no bother....if it is the other way round ... NO CHANCE... Raven my oldest loves to charge while I demand she comes back and then does a lap of honour about 29 feet away and comes back with a look of sheer glee at my stress
alady??
Dogsey Senior
Female 

12-08-2009, 09:36 AM
SOrry for not abiding by guidelines ...

[mod edit]
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >