Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
peedie
Almost a Veteran
Female 

21-09-2011, 07:19 PM

Car crate or other solution for Volvo V50

I just got a new car, it's a Volvo V50 estate but unfortunately my crate isn't a very good fit. Both my dogs are great in the crate, no banging about etc. Sika has a tendency to jump up and scratch the windows in the back of the car so I need something to contain her/stop her. Jago barks a lot and lunges if anyone/anything gets too close to the car when it is parked so I usually covered the crate with a light blanket whilst parked to stop this. So, can anyone recommend a crate which would suit a lab and a HWV OR can anyone come up with another solution?! I had thought about getting 2 seperate fabric crates but am concerned these might begin to smell as my dogs are often wet after walks. I'm not too keen on custom crates as they are soooo expensive!
smokeybear
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

21-09-2011, 07:27 PM
I take it you do not want a dog guard and tailgate guard (which is what I have for my Volvo V70)?

Most companies will have cages/tailgates/dog guards off the shelf to fit this model car, so they will not be bespoke to you!

Their resale value is good too.

Have you looked at Barnesbrook, Barjo for new ones to compare prices?

Agility Net Flea Market usually have loads of different models at good prices for people change cars.
kate_7590
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

21-09-2011, 07:36 PM
I would highly reccomend a tailgate and dog guard, which is what I have in my car. I also have a 'hatchbag' which keeps my car lovely and clean, even with dripping wet doggies in the back.

I bought my tailgate and guards from barjo and again..highly reccomended
smokeybear
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

21-09-2011, 07:38 PM
Yes I have a hatchbag plus mat.

27k miles and 10 months later, it has kept the back of my car pristine.
peedie
Almost a Veteran
Female 

23-09-2011, 08:27 AM
I have just ordered a hatch bag, I have a waterproof bed I can put in on top. They look much better than the boot liner I have at the moment. Have made a few enquiries about 2nd hand tailgate guards. I also bought a pair of boots for Sika which will stop her scratching the glass!!
Jackie
Dogsey Veteran
Female  Diamond Supporter 

23-09-2011, 10:07 AM
I also have a hatch bag, would not be without one, even if I have a crate in the car.

Have you looked at these............

safedog
crash tested car crates

Think the next time I buy a crate it will be one of these, I have a custom made double car cage from "gaurdsman" that I had for my last car, but its to small to the car I have now, it cost a fortune and is sitting in the shed plus an array of dog guards for numerous cars keep saying I will try to sell them but never get round to it.

I really miss the security of a crate in my car, I have a custom dog guard but not a tail gate..so unless I make sure the next car fits my crate , I would seriously think about one of the above.
smokeybear
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

23-09-2011, 10:13 AM
Just a note that those crash tested car cages have not been tested to any international eg EN/ISO/BSi standards so their claims are unsupported by the relevant official schemes,.
Jackie
Dogsey Veteran
Female  Diamond Supporter 

23-09-2011, 10:47 AM
Originally Posted by smokeybear View Post
Just a note that those crash tested car cages have not been tested to any international eg EN/ISO/BSi standards so their claims are unsupported by the relevant official schemes,.
Thats interesting to know.

Are most of the others?? as in Guardsmen and Bargo, or don't they make those claims?
smokeybear
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

23-09-2011, 10:49 AM
Originally Posted by Jackbox View Post
Thats interesting to know.

Are most of the others?? as in Guardsmen and Bargo, or don't they make those claims?
They do not make those claims although they have plenty of pictures to demonstrate how their cages hold up.

I am not aware of any dog that has been seriously injured when involved in a car crash whilst in a crate.

It is something I challenged the company with when I was at Crufts as there ARE no BSi/EN/ISO standards for crates or canine seat belts.
peedie
Almost a Veteran
Female 

23-09-2011, 11:43 AM
Interesting... I think I have looked at every guard maker I can find ha ha! Would love to be able to get a second hand one but they seem to be few and far between for my make of car. I have emailed about 2 adverts I saw but I think they may be the same person ha ha! Still waiting for a reply. Where I live is an issue too (Orkney) as I am not able to collect anything.
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >