Our sister sites
Our sister sites
The Grocer
New Member!
Male 

27-05-2011, 03:44 PM

Your dog and European pine forests

Hi all,
Hope I have put this info under the correct heading. I found this out by accident but think it important enough to try and make public for all pet owners & campers...
Please view on:-

Dangerous Caterpillars

On a recent trip in the mountains of the mid Peloponnese we were amazed at a mass of what looked liked cotton wool webs hanging in the pine trees, there were hundreds of them!
On further investigation I have found out just how lucky were in not letting our curiosity get the better of us at the time. These nests were full of caterpillars that are DANGEROUS

The caterpillar, know as the "Processionary Caterpillar" because of the way they follow one another in long rows, live in colonies of up to 400. Mainly active at night (feeding time) from around March they will strip the pine needles of branches. Each caterpillar has approximately 60,000 pointed defensive urticating (barbed) white hairs containing a toxin. They have been known to cause a severe itchy rash on humans that can last up to three weeks and can even cause temporary blindness and/or respiratory problems.

For dogs and cats the effects could be far more severe. If your cat or dog sniffs the hairs the result could be a severe allergic reaction, gangrene or anaphylactic shock, possibly resulting in death. The symptoms are excessive drooling, difficulty in breathing and/or white spots on the mouth or tongue. It is recommended that in these cases the animal’s mouth should be flushed out immediately with as much water as possible. Owners should try to avoid the animal’s toxic saliva, and seek emergency treatment from a vet.

DANGEROUS CATERPILLARS
ClaireandDaisy
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

27-05-2011, 04:53 PM
Let me know if they reach Southend please mate?
smokeybear
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

27-05-2011, 04:54 PM
They are already here............
mastines33
Almost a Veteran
Female 

28-05-2011, 06:30 AM
Hi, I live in the south-east of Spain and they are rife over here.. they start making their ''webs'' around november time and start marching around february/March as soon as the weather gets warmer. They ONLY live in those normal pinetrees and ARE extremely dangerous, also for us humans. I have a few along the drive and thoroughly check them every day in Feb/March and cut the nests out ( they sometimes seem to appear overnight ). The problem as well is that we can not cut the trees down as they are protected but we've lopped them down quite low so we can more or less reach the tops by tall ladder...if an animal or human gets in contact with one of them you should wash the area with lots of water (don't rub it ) and seek medical advice immediately. I have seen some horrendous cases where dogs have been in contact with them.....
Bitkin
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

28-05-2011, 07:02 PM
As Smokeybear said, they are already here in this country. I believe that at present they are confined to about three counties, and are not in pine trees but oak trees.
Losos
Fondly Remembered
Male 

28-05-2011, 07:59 PM
I always thought they were only in the Southern Med countries (Portugal, Spain, Southern France, Italy, Greece etc)

I didn't know they were in England already.

We are surrounded by forrest here in Eastern Europe, mainly Spruce not Pine and so far as I know they have not appeared here ............yet

But, nasty little blighters, and to be avoided at all costs, thanks for the reminder.
ste
Dogsey Senior
Female 

29-05-2011, 05:10 PM
You can also find them at altitude, I live in larch forest, in the Alps and they also like larch,and you will find them til the tree line at around 2300m. Apparently every 7 yrs they are around in epidemic numbers.
Thanks for the reminder, cos I'd forgotten this!
(saw aload of the little suckers today, in a procession across the path!)
plantman
Dogsey Junior
Male 

29-05-2011, 05:52 PM
Originally Posted by Bitkin View Post
As Smokeybear said, they are already here in this country. I believe that at present they are confined to about three counties, and are not in pine trees but oak trees.
Hell's teeth mate I live in Sherwood Forest, are you sure they use oak, and which three counties are they in already?
ClaireandDaisy
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

29-05-2011, 06:25 PM
If they like trees we`re OK here because Southend Council has an anti-tree policy to compliment its anti-dog policy.
They cut a tree down last week in our local park, leaving a 3` stump to which they nailed a notice to the effect that this was a nature conservation area.
tink
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

29-05-2011, 07:14 PM
My parents live in Spain and it can be a problem there at certain times of year,we always go up to a nearby horse ranch for drinks or the odd meal and they have a right menagerie of animals there... one being a huge Spanish hound that my son always loved seeing,last time we went he wasn't there,when we asked we were told he had died as a result of coming into contact with them ,apparently it was a horrendous death,bleeding from every oriface,Poor boy he was lovely.I had also heard there had been cases of them found over here in the UK last year i think
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >