Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Losos
Fondly Remembered
Male 

25-01-2019, 06:22 PM

Update on Casey (For those interested)

I have been doing a bit of detective work to try and find out how old Casey is and his background.

I was able to find out that he was handed in to the dog warden of Torfaen (Pontypool) Borough Council on the 16th. December 2014 together with another Newfie. Neither had been neutered and they were allegedly fighting

The dog warden took Casey to Summerhill vets (Newport) on the 18th. December 2014 for some vacinations and then again after Xmas on the 13th. January 2015

They must have been in touch with the Northern Newfoundland Club because he was transfered to NNC welfare on 20th. January 2015 and had they not agreed to take him he would likely been PTS

He was in the NNC kennels for three months until 18th. March 2015 which is when he came to us.

A freind has logged into the Petlog database and that shows his date of birth as 2007 but not the month / day. His microchip was implanted on 11th. January 2012.

So if he was born in December 2007 that would make him 11 years 1 month right now.

His back legs are definately suffering from arthritus and he does sometimes have a problem getting up. I help him when necessary. As soon as he was in the NNC care he was diagnosed with DCM (Dilated Cardio Myopathy) a serous heart condition and he has four Cariosure tablets per day for that. The owner in Pontypool probably knew about his heart and choose to dump him with the dog warden.

But despite his age, which is amazing for a large breed dog, he still likes his walks and loves meeting any other dogs big small or in between

He's on several other medications for his arthritus and fluid build up around his throat and heart.

He's a lovely old boy, I've never heard him growl 'tho he is rather good at barking especially when he needs something (like help getting up)

Don't know how long he'll be with us but determined to give him the best life possible for however long that may be.
Lynn
Dogsey Veteran
Female  Gold Supporter 

25-01-2019, 06:43 PM
That is an amazing bit of detective work Harvey.
Gosh he is doing well for double digits in a large breed. Well done to you and Mrs Harvey for giving him a loving home.
Kazz
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

25-01-2019, 07:09 PM
Well done Columbo.....very interesting. Also interesting he was chipped in 2012 when he was 5 for a large pedigree breed you would think they would have been chipped as pups.

Wonder if they had been used for breeding and either new blood brought in as daughters breeding age or as you say his medical condition.
Chris
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

25-01-2019, 08:43 PM
He's doing absolutely marvelous for his age with him being a large breed. It shows how much TLC he gets x
Sue L
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

26-01-2019, 08:23 AM
Well done on the research. He is doing very well for a large breed to reach his age but with you and your wife to look after him I am sure he will continue to enjoy the rest of his life.
brenda1
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

26-01-2019, 09:04 AM
So lovely to hear Casey is doing well.
Losos
Fondly Remembered
Male 

26-01-2019, 05:44 PM
Thank you everyone Yes Kazz he should have been chipped as a puppy, five just shows that they didn't care much
Kazz
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

26-01-2019, 10:43 PM
Originally Posted by Losos View Post
Thank you everyone Yes Kazz he should have been chipped as a puppy, five just shows that they didn't care much
Well he has found Love now and total care better late than never.....
Moyra
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

27-01-2019, 06:52 PM
Oh Harvey he is doing so well then. Such a shame that dogs have such a limited life span. I hope you have him for a good while yet.