Female 

23-08-2018, 10:03 AM
Agree 100%.
Besoeker
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

04-10-2018, 07:58 PM
Moobli, you have a good point.
But the law doesn't require you to have your dog on a lead.
Mine is qualified as a PAT, pets as therapy, dog. He is a big, charming fellow. Handsome too. Not just my take. Everyone loves him.

I called our local store yesterday,
"Oh, your the man with that dog"

How could you not love this big beast?
brenda1
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

05-10-2018, 06:33 AM
There are some bylaws in some towns that state that dogs must be on lead at all times. Worth having a look to see if some of you live in a town that has this bylaw. When I was dog trainer for this area I was always amazed at how many dog owners didn't know this.
Lynn
Dogsey Veteran
Female  Gold Supporter 

05-10-2018, 09:56 AM
I was told many years ago when my son a toddler and myself were attacked by a gsd that all dogs on public highways need a leash and id. That was 30 years ago.
Chris
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

05-10-2018, 01:43 PM
"Under the Road Traffic Act 1988 it is a criminal offence for a dog to be on a designated road (ie. a public road) without being held on a lead. There are exceptions for dogs proved to be kept for driving or tending sheep or cattle in the course of a trade or business; and dogs proved to have been at the material time in use under proper control for sporting purposes"

https://www.inbrief.co.uk/animal-law...g-and-the-law/
Besoeker
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

06-10-2018, 02:52 PM
Originally Posted by Lynn View Post
I was told many years ago when my son a toddler and myself were attacked by a gsd that all dogs on public highways need a leash and id. That was 30 years ago.
Here it is A and B roads where it required. Where we live is a cul-de-sac, not classified with a route number, so not legally required.

The rules posted at one of the parks where walk requires leads when a football game in in progress or if a dog warden instructs you to do so.
Lynn
Dogsey Veteran
Female  Gold Supporter 

06-10-2018, 04:03 PM
The dog that attacked us was sitting outside it's gate a week later and the dog warden paid a visit. The owner was told to put him behind the gate off the pavement or put a collar with id on and a lead. It was a on a public path and this was in a cul-de-sac. if he didn't comply the man argued with the dog warden he would seize the dog as was his his right if the man did not comply with the instruction.
The dog was put back on his property pdq.
This was 34 years ago roughly in Brentwood where we lived then.

I was then told about the law and dogs and collars, id and leads on public footpaths.
Besoeker
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

06-10-2018, 06:39 PM
Originally Posted by Lynn View Post
The dog that attacked us was sitting outside it's gate a week later and the dog warden paid a visit. The owner was told to put him behind the gate off the pavement or put a collar with id on and a lead. It was a on a public path and this was in a cul-de-sac. if he didn't comply the man argued with the dog warden he would seize the dog as was his his right if the man did not comply with the instruction.
The dog was put back on his property pdq.
This was 34 years ago roughly in Brentwood where we lived then.

I was then told about the law and dogs and collars, id and leads on public footpaths.
Our dog is micro chipped, wears a collar with ID. And, yes, those are legal requirements with which we comply. It is not a legal requirement to have him on a lead on a public footpath.

A little update on that. We walk around a nature reserve from time to time. The last time I went with Max and old colleague. I hadn't seen him in quite a few years. We are both in our seventies and retired. He had never met Max and commented on how well behaved and obedient he was.

At the end of the stroll, we stopped by the cafe to have a cuppa. It's in the park with just a small road close by for maintenance trucks. We have about a one hour drive to get back home. So I went to use the facilities - on the opposite side of the building.

"Max, wait". All I needed to say. He waited with my friend and his wife. No lead needed nor legally required.
Gnasher
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

07-10-2018, 08:09 AM
That's collies for you!! There is as much chance of Hal, Tai or Ben doing that as me flying to the moon!! Collies want to please, northern breeds don't give a crap about pleasing you!! That's what I loved about my wolfey boys though ... fool to myself!
Besoeker
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

07-10-2018, 07:16 PM
Another little tail from our stroll this evening. A couple were walking their pair of dogs on leads. One decided to have a barking fit at Max when hew went to say hello as dogs do.
"Max, come here!"
He did. We walked round the block and there they were again walking down the path.
"Max, wait."
He did until they were out of the way and we strolled on.

As I posted earlier, you have to know your dog.
Page 3 of 12 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 > Last »