Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Besoeker
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

30-07-2018, 05:54 PM
Originally Posted by CaroleC View Post
You posted about crossing roads. Where are the roads that you say he is so good at crossing?
Odd question.
Near where I live. Am I missing something here?
Chris
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

30-07-2018, 06:26 PM
I think Carole was referring to your opening post:

"I walk a lot with my big hairy beast. I rarely put him on the lead. He is good crossing roads. Wait and cross commands work fine.

But most of the dog owners/walkers we meet have their dogs on a lead tight as a banjo string. Don't you trust your dog"?

That does imply that you you walk Max across roads without a lead and frown upon those who use a lead for theirs
Besoeker
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

30-07-2018, 09:47 PM
Originally Posted by Chris View Post
That does imply that you you walk Max across roads without a lead and frown upon those who use a lead for theirs
You put it better than I did, I thank you kindly for that. Mostly, we are in areas like the pic I posted. I see no need for any faithful dog to need to be on a lead in such environments. Others clearly do not for whatever reason

Sometimes we vary our route home to intentionally cross a road just to reinforce his obedience on that score.

I don't frown on anyone who puts their dog on a lead for crossing a road, especially a busy one. But in open park lands or woods away from roads, why?

It is not illegal to let them off the lead here. My biggest challenge is keeping an eye out for where he poos. I clear up - it is illegal not to do so. Not to mention irresponsible. It can be up to a £1,000 fine. Yet some owners clearly take no heed.
Chris
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

30-07-2018, 11:31 PM
So you do clip a lead on him when you get to the road when you intentionally intend to cross it?
brenda1
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

31-07-2018, 07:57 AM
Some dogs are kept on lead because they are either no good on recall and chase things or just run off because they are afer all dogs. Or they are kept on lead because they are nervous of other dogs/people but they do need exercise. Or they are in season, in which case they shouldn't be out. There are many reasons why dogs are kept on lead. My dog is a very well trained dog but when I go to the New Forest or land where there are other animals he is on lead. You never know what might come round the corner of a big patch of bushes. I remember going some years ago to the heathland and this large hairy highland cow came round the corner on the heath and we thought ok go the other way only for it to follow us. Tyto is not a chaser but he was on lead and we beetled it because this lovely cow thought he would join us. We did evade him eventually by just walking quickly round all the bushes. If we had run with the dog then that would I know have caused problems. So another reaon why dogs are on lead at times. We did find it funny though.
Besoeker
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

31-07-2018, 04:47 PM
Originally Posted by Chris View Post
So you do clip a lead on him when you get to the road when you intentionally intend to cross it?
I don't. That's the point about the "wait" and "cross" commands.
Besoeker
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

31-07-2018, 05:00 PM
Originally Posted by brenda1 View Post
Some dogs are kept on lead because they are either no good on recall and chase things or just run off because they are afer all dogs. Or they are kept on lead because they are nervous of other dogs/people but they do need exercise. Or they are in season, in which case they shouldn't be out. There are many reasons why dogs are kept on lead. My dog is a very well trained dog but when I go to the New Forest or land where there are other animals he is on lead. You never know what might come round the corner of a big patch of bushes. I remember going some years ago to the heathland and this large hairy highland cow came round the corner on the heath and we thought ok go the other way only for it to follow us. Tyto is not a chaser but he was on lead and we beetled it because this lovely cow thought he would join us. We did evade him eventually by just walking quickly round all the bushes. If we had run with the dog then that would I know have caused problems. So another reaon why dogs are on lead at times. We did find it funny though.
Yes, understand. I did say I rarely have Max on a lead. We were on holiday near Loch Lomond. We walked on a path that bordered a flock of sheep. No fences. He had never seen sheep. I put him on the lead for that in case he tried too herd them.
brenda1
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

01-08-2018, 06:45 AM
For safety sake dog owners should always put their dog on a lead when going to cross a road. They never know that one day they may see someone that they know and raise their hand to wave or start to speak and the dog mistakenly takes it as a signal to cross. Never take chances with your dogs life.
Besoeker
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

07-08-2018, 08:45 PM
Originally Posted by brenda1 View Post
For safety sake dog owners should always put their dog on a lead when going to cross a road. They never know that one day they may see someone that they know and raise their hand to wave or start to speak and the dog mistakenly takes it as a signal to cross. Never take chances with your dogs life.
Fair point. You have to know your dog. Mine eyeballs me waiting for instruction.
Moobli
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

23-08-2018, 07:27 AM
My dogs are far too precious to me to risk their being run over on a road, as well as it being against the law to walk a dog off lead along a public highway. My dogs are very well trained and where we live I rarely take leads as we have no roads to cross. However if I am taking them to a town or to the beach or woods, I always take a lead and pop them on if we are near roads and also call them to me if we see strange dogs.

Dogs can be on leads for a variety of reasons - they may be nervous or aggressive to other dogs or people, it may be due to an injury or illness, it could be a bitch on heat, or simply that the dog doesn't yet have a reliable recall. I find it common courtesy to keep my dogs close or pop a lead on when passing strange dogs who are also on a lead.
Page 2 of 12 < 1 2 3 4 5 > Last »