Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Ripsnorterthe2nd
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

02-03-2007, 09:48 PM

Dog Tattooing - A Few Questions.

Ok, I've been thinking about having Isla tattooed since I got her, but it's just one of those things that you never get round to!

So, with my last week coming up as a free woman so to speak, I'm seriously thinking about taking her down and getting it done. I've just got a couple of questions though!

1) Does it hurt? (Think I already know the answer to this one, but just have to ask! )

2) When does the puppy rate run out? Is it when the dog reaches 12 months old, or before then? Need to know as the price difference is quite big and I need to make sure I've got enough cash to hand!

I know there might not be a lot of people that can answer these questions, but thought it wouldn't do any harm in asking just incase.
Mahooli
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

03-03-2007, 09:23 AM
I'm not sure about the costs but the dogs I had tattooed both whimpered when it was done but then some of them screamed the place down when they had their first vaccination lol! It isn't like a human having it done it's a series of pins that make up letters and numbers that is in a clamp and pressed into the ear puncturing the skin. The ink is then rubbed into the holes which makes the tattoo.
Becky
pod
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

03-03-2007, 09:35 AM
It's a long time since I had any involvement with this. It was when the GSD league first introduced the scheme, I had some of mine tattooed, and assisted with some other litters, mainly GSDs.

I don't know what the protocol is now but back then, a puppy qualified for the puppy rate if it was still with the breeder and part of a litter.

Hmm does it hurt? The GSD puppies used to scream but anyone who knows GSDs wil tell you that they welcome any opportunity to cause a riot and not sure how much of it was actually due to pain, and they were always right as rain afterwards.

Bernese are much more stoic. Didn't utter any sound but sometimes looked a bit shocked. Those I had done as adults probably reacted slightly more than puppies, except my Beardie who was the world's greatest tuff-nut!

All in all I'd say yes it does hurt them a bit but I don't remember any lasting effects though I probably wouldn't have it done now, especially on my Finnish Lapphund which are a tad more sensitive than most breeds.
JoedeeUK
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

03-03-2007, 10:12 AM
The cost is on the NDTR website & the puppy rate is only applicable when the puppies are under 9 weeks old & still with the breeder

The actual tattooing takes seconds & the tattooist will have an assistant to hold the dog(Health & Safety)

There are no after effects, my BC is not keen on strangers, yet my assistant who held him whist he was tattooed is his favourite person & I've never had any dog have a problem after I have tattooed them.
wildmoor
Almost a Veteran
Female 

03-03-2007, 10:50 AM
I have had both juviniles and pups done, it may hurt for a second but has no lasting consequences, all my dogs let me clean or examine their ears. As for the cost it is no more than if the pup had been already tattooed by the breeder and you paid for change of ownership.
Pam
Brainless
Dogsey Junior
Female 

03-03-2007, 08:08 PM
It is similar to having your ears pierced in that a clamp is applied with pins that make the numbers, then the ink is rubbed in, so yes it hurts a little but no worse than jabs.

As for the cost It is either a single dog price or a puppy in the litter price, so unless your doing her as part of the litter you will be paying the £20 or so that it costs, but I paid £22 for a chip for the Pet Passport.

My friend had her wimpy Border Collie done at a year old while I had a litter being done, she was happy as soon as it was finished and was all over the lady doing it.
Ripsnorterthe2nd
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

03-03-2007, 11:02 PM
Thanks all, that's answered a lot of my questions.