View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Lou
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

25-09-2006, 07:39 PM
Could he just be feeling tired Foxy......After his walk?

Whatever it is, i hope Benji's feeling better soon x
Steve
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

25-09-2006, 07:42 PM
Originally Posted by Foxy View Post
Yes he is really worrying me Steve - he has just gone outside and lay down by the gate and thats not like him at all - he usually wants to come in again when we shut the back door He looks calm though but just seems to want his own space. We have touched him all over and he doesn't seem to be in any pain so I can't understand why he is like this. All I can think of is I wonder if he has a urine infection or something because he did seem to be cocking his leg a lot when he was out but he was also sniffing at everything a lot more than he usually does - he was like a bloodhound sniffing at all the doorsteps where dogs lived.

He may have eaten something while out on walkies which dont agree with him Foxy.The kids have gone back to school and Vegas is forever hoovering up sandwiches which they discard so its possible Benji has eaten same,but hasnt agreed with him.
Helena54
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

25-09-2006, 07:45 PM
I don't think he's very well Foxy This is what Cassie does when she's having a bout of her illness. I know that's not what Benji's got, but what I mean is, if she's feeling sick or got stomach ache or something, she acts exactly like this. She will go outside sometimes in the middle of the night after waking me up for what I think is a pee or a poo, but she will just lie there on the gravel!! She won't settle indoors either and acts out of character just like Benji is. I'm sorry I think this and I wish I could say something else, but that is my gut feeling.

Did you notice if he scavenged anything out on that first walk before he got like this? Does he want to eat grass? Something's not right Foxy, and I don't think he's play acting. Either it will go away on it's own if it's a stomach upset and he feels better, or you may end up with a sleepless night - I do hope not, but like I said, I have had numerous episodes of this with Cassie in the past, and after all, you know your own dog, and you know this is out of character don't you?

Fingers x'd he'll feel better later, coz sometimes again, that's what happens with Cass, sometimes even after I've dragged her to the vets and he says there's nothing wrong, but I knew there was, be it for a few hours only. Good luck, let us know how he goes, and I hope I'm wrong this time!!!
zero
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

25-09-2006, 07:52 PM
Originally Posted by Foxy View Post
Yes he is really worrying me Steve - he has just gone outside and lay down by the gate and thats not like him at all - he usually wants to come in again when we shut the back door He looks calm though but just seems to want his own space. We have touched him all over and he doesn't seem to be in any pain so I can't understand why he is like this. All I can think of is I wonder if he has a urine infection or something because he did seem to be cocking his leg a lot when he was out but he was also sniffing at everything a lot more than he usually does - he was like a bloodhound sniffing at all the doorsteps where dogs lived.
First thing I would suggest was checking him all over as you say you have already done, I would check his paws and coat for anything that may have gotten stuck on him etc...

Then something which is a bit of a shot in the dark...in relation to the highlighted text...Do you think he could smell a bitch in heat?? That may explain the extra sniffing and leg cocking then initial excited behaviour followed with the sulky mood afterwards??
zero
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

25-09-2006, 07:52 PM
Hope whatever it is that he gets over it soon
Foxy
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

25-09-2006, 07:54 PM
Originally Posted by Helena54 View Post
I don't think he's very well Foxy This is what Cassie does when she's having a bout of her illness. I know that's not what Benji's got, but what I mean is, if she's feeling sick or got stomach ache or something, she acts exactly like this. She will go outside sometimes in the middle of the night after waking me up for what I think is a pee or a poo, but she will just lie there on the gravel!! She won't settle indoors either and acts out of character just like Benji is. I'm sorry I think this and I wish I could say something else, but that is my gut feeling.

Did you notice if he scavenged anything out on that first walk before he got like this? Does he want to eat grass? Something's not right Foxy, and I don't think he's play acting. Either it will go away on it's own if it's a stomach upset and he feels better, or you may end up with a sleepless night - I do hope not, but like I said, I have had numerous episodes of this with Cassie in the past, and after all, you know your own dog, and you know this is out of character don't you?

Fingers x'd he'll feel better later, coz sometimes again, that's what happens with Cass, sometimes even after I've dragged her to the vets and he says there's nothing wrong, but I knew there was, be it for a few hours only. Good luck, let us know how he goes, and I hope I'm wrong this time!!!
No I'm certain he didn't eat anything Helena - he was in my sight all the time and he was just sniffing about everywhere. He is still very interested in food though and keeps running in the kitchen to see whats on offer so I don't think he is feeling that poorly His poo was normal though and not sloppy or anything and he hasn't vomited once. He just seems to be running from A to B instead of walking like he usually does.

I will get the vet to have a look at him tomorrow if he is still displaying this unusual behaviour. I would say its more like a nervous behaviour than anything else - he seems as if he is scared by something but I can't think what. He doesn't seem very friendly towards me as if I have done something to upset him but I simply can't think what because I never shout at him or anything ever - Rhianna yes but him no If I do shout at Rhianna he doesn't like it or if anyone raises their voices he goes upstairs out of the way so he is nervous in that way.
Helena54
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

25-09-2006, 07:54 PM
Good thinking Mys I missed that bit about all the sniffing!
Helena54
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

25-09-2006, 07:57 PM
Nervous behaviour is also a pointer of him feeling off colour though Foxy? I think Mys. might have hit the nail on the head with the bitch thing now though?

If he's interested in food he can't be that bad, coz Cassie wouldn't be interested in anything when she's feeling off colour. Keep your eye on him like you are, and I hope it's not a trip to the vet's tomorrow, coz you need to go to the doc's - please don't miss that one!
Foxy
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

25-09-2006, 08:07 PM
Originally Posted by myschievous View Post
First thing I would suggest was checking him all over as you say you have already done, I would check his paws and coat for anything that may have gotten stuck on him etc...

Then something which is a bit of a shot in the dark...in relation to the highlighted text...Do you think he could smell a bitch in heat?? That may explain the extra sniffing and leg cocking then initial excited behaviour followed with the sulky mood afterwards??
Well I was wondering that myself Mys....... he is castrated though but I don't suppose that would make any difference would it I have never known him do it before but he was definitely sniffing everywhere tonight and he spent ages sniffing at a house down the road where two St Bernards live (would like to see him tackle them - no pun intended ) He seems to be resting okay now but he is definitely in a leave me alone mood - is this what dogs do when they smell a bitch then?
mutthouse
Almost a Veteran
Female 

25-09-2006, 08:12 PM
I think Mys is right if there are no other physical symptoms of actual illness then he could well be just "up for it" , castrated or not, i have had males who still knew what to do without having experience before lossing the essential's still knew what to do
Page 2 of 5 < 1 2 3 4 5 >