View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Ramble
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

26-09-2006, 12:24 PM
Sounds like the woman totally over reacted, perhaps having had a bad experience in the past??? Who knows???

All our dogs can have 'off' days.

The issue of dogs approaching other dogs when out is such a delicate area. Lately I've been there with Saturn, he's over friendly and his recall is c**p when there's another dog, so he's been being walked onlead (flexi) and I've been keeping his attention on me in the park. I've been telling him to 'leave it' when he sees another dog, but i have to say , it's been the owners of small dogs that have allowed their dogs to come and have a sniff at him. It's been totally infuriating to be honest as every time they've done it they've undermined the training I've already done. It's made me really cross that I've had to ask so many people to call their dogs back when it's obvious what I'm doing...I say the leave it command very firmly and clearly and these owners seem oblivious....not good or fun or fair. I really try hard to keep my lot away from dogs on lead when we are in the park and generally do with my old guys, part of the reason saturn has been on limited frreedom is that I couldn't keep him away from them and that's so not fair for anyone.
You don't know how a dog is when it's onlead, it could look friendly but then when your dog gets close it could attack...best to steeer clear...

The woman in this case did totally over react, but you don't know what's happened in the past...
Ramble
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

26-09-2006, 12:26 PM
Originally Posted by Julie View Post
This is one of the reasons I haven't posted here for ages either you have not read the post properly or you are deliberately being aggressive - If you read the post I don't say I have a problem with picking dogs up if they are in danger !! Why do you think I have a problem with it ?
I'm really sorry that you feel this way, as I've found Dogsey to be the most friendly on the net.
Please don't feel you can't post, everyone's opinion is appreciated and valued by me for one and I'm guessing by the majority of Dogsey users...stay a while and play!!!!
zero
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

26-09-2006, 12:58 PM
I tell mine 'leave' aswell it makes me laugh a bit as people pass by they must think 'what the heck is it going to do'
zero
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

26-09-2006, 01:14 PM
Originally Posted by Ailsa1 View Post
Sounds like the woman totally over reacted, perhaps having had a bad experience in the past??? Who knows???

All our dogs can have 'off' days.

The issue of dogs approaching other dogs when out is such a delicate area. Lately I've been there with Saturn, he's over friendly and his recall is c**p when there's another dog, so he's been being walked onlead (flexi) and I've been keeping his attention on me in the park. I've been telling him to 'leave it' when he sees another dog, but i have to say , it's been the owners of small dogs that have allowed their dogs to come and have a sniff at him. It's been totally infuriating to be honest as every time they've done it they've undermined the training I've already done. It's made me really cross that I've had to ask so many people to call their dogs back when it's obvious what I'm doing...I say the leave it command very firmly and clearly and these owners seem oblivious....not good or fun or fair. I really try hard to keep my lot away from dogs on lead when we are in the park and generally do with my old guys, part of the reason saturn has been on limited frreedom is that I couldn't keep him away from them and that's so not fair for anyone.
You don't know how a dog is when it's onlead, it could look friendly but then when your dog gets close it could attack...best to steeer clear...

The woman in this case did totally over react, but you don't know what's happened in the past...
That's just it...I think we all want to go outside and have the world shape around us.

I want to go out and train my dogs and be left alone.

Sometimes I want to let them off lead for a good run and like them to be able to play.

I guess the main thing to remember is that sometimes things arn't going to completly slot in with what we want at that particular time.

If I want to train my dogs on lead where they can see other dogs I will do it in an area where it may be fairly near to the road or something that way they get all the distractions and sights of other dogs and people but the chances are fairly slim for an offlead dog to bound up to us.

If I want my dogs to get a nice long run I'll take em into the heart of the forest where hopefully it isn't very busy or to near families etc.

Also for example if my dog had just had an op and I didn't want it getting jumped all over I would give it road side walks, again, less chance of any off lead dog

Sometimes I think we have to put effort into make sure things go more our way rather than just expecting everything to revolve around us (which is not remotely directed at you Ailsa, just a follow on to your post) .

I have been on all sides of the coin and try my best to shape my own situation. I always think of others before myself and hope to have the same respect back, even when I am not 100% perfect, in return I like to offer other people the same leeway...It makes things so much friendlier. It's a subject close to my heart because before I got dogs I thought there could be nothing better than a nice walk but since having them I have witnessed people acting similar to how they do with 'road rage'...there is just no reason for people to be so stressed out and fired up. None of us should ever have to stoop to slanging matches, I hate them.
Ramble
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

26-09-2006, 01:41 PM
I agree with you again Mys!

There is no need for this 'dog rage' to happen, we should all be able to just get on with it.

I do think though, it's courtesy to keep your off lead dogs away from onlead ones as much as is humanly possible.

I was out with my last pup once and we were doing some work in Woolies. We went to walk past one lady and her elderly mother who were in a queue and Ems tried to have a sniff of her...I said..'excuse me' in a firm, narky 'oi' sort of way...and this poor woman went into apology mode as soon as she saw his jacket (I think she assumed I was visually impaired!) She looked so mortified and I felt awful as I'd been talking to the dog (as ya do!!!!) Big ooops. I couldn't apologise enough and she saw the funny side!!!!! Especially when Ems decided he could sneak in a cheeky 'hiya'!!!!!!!!!
I do get weird looks when I say 'leave it' about people....most people grin and get it...some look a bit offended!!!
janie
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

26-09-2006, 07:07 PM
mys.. it was about 4 weeks agao.. she was around 14 weeks. I couldn`t pick her up if i wanted to.. she`s a bullock. The people who run the puppy class told me to ignore the behaviour.. when we are out she`s reasured continually.. but still resembles a furry polo when we see other dogs... don`t even have to meet them face to face.
Zetacharlie
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

26-09-2006, 07:22 PM
If I hadnt picked my (small) dog up when she was on lead and another off=lead bigger dog ran at us and attacked she would probably be dead by now. If I think my dog is in danger I WILL PICK HER UP...anyone who has a problem with this well..... wont say it
Hevvur
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

26-09-2006, 07:34 PM
Originally Posted by Zetacharlie View Post
If I hadnt picked my (small) dog up when she was on lead and another off=lead bigger dog ran at us and attacked she would probably be dead by now. If I think my dog is in danger I WILL PICK HER UP...anyone who has a problem with this well..... wont say it
But surely you can tell the difference between a dog just wanting to play, and a dog in attack mode?

It's the people who pick their dogs up just cos my dog is big, that annoys me.
zero
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

26-09-2006, 09:25 PM
Originally Posted by janie View Post
mys.. it was about 4 weeks agao.. she was around 14 weeks. I couldn`t pick her up if i wanted to.. she`s a bullock. The people who run the puppy class told me to ignore the behaviour.. when we are out she`s reasured continually.. but still resembles a furry polo when we see other dogs... don`t even have to meet them face to face.
I remember Keena scrambling up my legs to be picked up at that age as soon as see another dog...or people....lol...They could be way out on the horizon she would still do it. She was scared of the next door neighbours dog the other side of a 6 ft fence, every time she heard him she would run yelping. When she hit about 6 months it was all gone...You wouldn't know she was the same girl!...I bet when your pup reaches about 6 months you will wonder who swapped her over (that's when the fun really starts with NI and you have your work cut out wishing they hadn't got quite so confident just yet!)
Shona
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

26-09-2006, 09:30 PM
what a shame her dog is to aggressive to play oooherrr is it her thats to aggressive? some folk eh
never mind My Kaos would love a good play with her
Page 4 of 5 < 1 2 3 4 5 >