Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
IanTaylor
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

24-09-2006, 09:36 AM

How did your dog get his/her name....

Not sure if this has been done before but just wondering if theres any stories of how your dogs got their names. I know most is just what sounds good to you but there must be some named after things or people.......

There used to be an old guy worked at my place, he was in charge of making huge bales of trimed paper which would later be pulped. He used to have a little westy called Jake. When his wife died he couldn't bare to leave him at home alone, so he used to sneak him into the building where he worked. The dog used to sleep in a huge box full of the paper trim and all the guys used to give him scraps from their dinner etc. When any managers or foremen came in, Bill would say "bang bang" and Jake would lay quiet on his back till they left, was funny to see. I'm pretty sure the management knew he was there but turned a blind eye. The old guy (Bill) was kinda like a mentor to me when I first went to work there so I guess my Jake is in memory of Bill.
Trish
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

24-09-2006, 09:43 AM
We had just had a weeks holiday, phoned a local rescue and was told about a litter of abandoned pups they had had brought in 2 days before. Went to look, fell in love and spent the brief car journey home with this tiny brown bundle on my lap. The boys were 2 and 4 years old and wantd to call her Fizz or Bella because of the Tweenies, Kev and I weren't keen! We thought about the time of year, and the holiday we had just had - that was it!! Just had a h-o-l-i-day, so lets call her Hollie!!! The spelling is the way it is so as not to confuse her with prickly Holly!!
Evie
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

24-09-2006, 09:44 AM
That's a lovely story, Ian.

Willow got named Willow cos she is so slim, like a willow branch! Nothing near as interesting as your choice of name.

She was called Sally when she had been living at the vet's, but we weren't keen on that name. We had considered Luna (cos there was a full moon that night after I 1st seen her) or Winnie the Whippet cos my younest adores Pooh Bear.
DobieGirl
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

24-09-2006, 09:47 AM
We had great difficulty naming Roxy becasue we were all lined up for a boy pup. Roxy came from Sabrina the teenage witch, her friend in uni years was called Roxy and she was fiesty and gothic like.
Zuba
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

24-09-2006, 09:48 AM
Zuki was the only name my OH and I could agree on when it came to naming her, he wanted to call her white fang
Baku was named by me I wanted something Russian but couldn't find one I liked, so went into lots of searches and then found out that Baku is the capital of Azerbaijan once part of the USSR and so I wanted to call him that, OH was not keen but in the end he couldn't think of anything better so it stuck, OH wanted to call him Titan, but I said that may make people think he is vicious or something
IanTaylor
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

24-09-2006, 09:51 AM
Originally Posted by Zuba View Post
OH wanted to call him Titan, but I said that may make people think he is vicious or something
Guy I work with has a dog called Sabre.... sounds pretty visious sorta name when he cals it...... then ya see the tiniest lil dog (it's a cross, about the size of a Yorkie) running to greet him. Gets some funny looks and laughs.
Zuba
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

24-09-2006, 09:54 AM
Originally Posted by IanTaylor View Post
Guy I work with has a dog called Sabre.... sounds pretty visious sorta name when he cals it...... then ya see the tiniest lil dog (it's a cross, about the size of a Yorkie) running to greet him. Gets some funny looks and laughs.
I think its so funny to call small dogs big names, the film Legally Blonde had me in fits when she called her chihuahua 'Bruiser', I have also met a yorkie with the name Tyson
lovezois
Fondly remembered
Female 

24-09-2006, 10:00 AM
Rye because his registered name is Mishran Coming Thru' The Rye after the Song by the Poet Robert Bunrs.

Pellow is after Marti Pellow of the group[Wet, Wet, Wet, not because we are great fans but because when we picked him up from the breeder in Wales to drive back to Scotland he like most puppies was frightened and drooled . Angie who bred him was driving in front of us to lead us onto the motorway and we had arranged to stop at the car wash just before the motor way to say cheerio,up to then we had no idea what name we were going to call him . He was travelling in the back seat with me covered in towels and he perched on my knee. I had already replaced two towels on the short drive and as I put more in place I remarked to my o/h I've never saw a puppy who drooled so much , two towels are soaked and the eleeve of my jacket is soaked and all down the puppies chest was soaked and I said he is wet and I am wet in fact we are wet, wet, wet, so hence Pellow.

Well Ian you did ask !!!!!!!!
Naomi
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

24-09-2006, 10:16 AM
Tammy came with her name when we rescued her (tam1)
Jas didn;t have a name and it was trial and error we stumbled cross it. We went through the alphabet and when we hit on J his ears pricked up so we carried on and hit upon Jasper and that was it.
Tammy was called Flick when we got ehr but with the kids it sometimes sounded dodgy and we kept accidentaly calling her Tam. We then changed her name to Tam (tam2)
Radar Ears
Dogsey Senior
Female 

24-09-2006, 11:08 AM
Hi all,

When my late hubby (Harry) and I got Mick the Labrador as a pup, we called him Mick as a tribute to Harry's border terrier (who lived to 18 years old) who was called Mick.

When John got Benji the Collie Cross from Battersea, he was about 1 year/ 18 months old and his name was already Benji, so he kept it.
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >