Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
dollyknockers
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

12-03-2008, 09:50 PM

Hip dysplasia

At what age is it apparent , To tell if a dog has hip dysplasia , As none of my dogs or puppies have had this condittion, I know its quite apparent in an older puppy/dog ,
But just wondered can you see it at the young age when they are just finding there feet ?
ALL views greatly welcomed xxdk
boobah
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

12-03-2008, 09:52 PM
I'm no expert dk but I would imagine if a puppy was bunny hopping it would be a sign of it correct me if I'm wrong,xxxxxxx
dollyknockers
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

12-03-2008, 09:54 PM
Thats what my impression was Boobah , A few years back Zb and I went to view a litter of puppies and at least 6 out of the litter had very apparent hip dysplasia, And the dam had it quite visibly as well .,The pups were 16 weeks , But they were in an abismal state very tiny and underweight xxdk
Wolfie
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

12-03-2008, 10:02 PM
Sadly HD can be present in puppies so there's no age restriction Bunny hopping is normally a severe case
boobah
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

12-03-2008, 10:03 PM
Originally Posted by dollyknockers View Post
Thats what my impression was Boobah , A few years back Zb and I went to view a litter of puppies and at least 6 out of the litter had very apparent hip dysplasia, And the dam had it quite visibly as well .,The pups were 16 weeks , But they were in an abismal state very tiny and underweight xxdk
If you thought that was bad,I walk dogs as you know and you come across loads of dog owners as you go about your rounds.Well I met a young girl out with a Rott bitch,the dog had a lovely nature and all she wanted to do was play with all the dogs but as soon as she started to run it was very obvious she had HD.Of course as you do I asked her all about her,she had her in to the vets to have her hip scored and the hip scores were really bad.The girl was told by the vet to wait a while and have them done again.She was intending to breed from the bitch which horrified me well and truly,anyway I gave her a lecture which I'm sure her vet should have done re breeding from a dog with HD.Her reason for breeding was she wanted a puppy from her to keep herself.xxxxxx
zoeybeau1
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

12-03-2008, 10:04 PM
Hi guy's I have been in boxer's a very long time and to a trained eye I would say it would be easily seen, in puppies I saw a puppy in a litter a few year's back and it was very apparent and when I mentioned it to the breeder they wasn't upset I'd mentioned it, and had the bitch checked and the dog, the dog was a known stud at the time, well as the bitch was still feeding the puppies the vet advised the dog to be checked first then the bitch and the dog turned out to have very poor hip score, can't just rember what it was, so the breeder castrated the dog and notifited all he had been used for stud on, the wee pup with noticiably bad hips at that young age 4 weeks was advised to be put down. the bitch was then scored and she was ok so it seem's in this case they were noticiable, and it would seem it was a good job the breeder was good and tried to limit the damage by castrating her stud.
However in lot's of incident's HD show's no sympton's till the dog is older, but if he has been used for stud how many pup's are affected first, that's why I think getting them all checked as they mature is the best way to go for breeds that don't have compulsory hip scoring.
zoeybeau1
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

12-03-2008, 10:06 PM
Originally Posted by boobah View Post
If you thought that was bad,I walk dogs as you know and you come across loads of dog owners as you go about your rounds.Well I met a young girl out with a Rott bitch,the dog had a lovely nature and all she wanted to do was play with all the dogs but as soon as she started to run it was very obvious she had HD.Of course as you do I asked her all about her,she had her in to the vets to have her hip scored and the hip scores were really bad.The girl was told by the vet to wait a while and have them done again.She was intending to breed from the bitch which horrified me well and truly,anyway I gave her a lecture which I'm sure her vet should have done re breeding from a dog with HD.Her reason for breeding was she wanted a puppy from her to keep herself.xxxxxx
The very silly girl, what about the rest in the litter.?
would they have had to endure a life time of HD so she could have her precious puppy.
Jackie
Dogsey Veteran
Female  Diamond Supporter 

12-03-2008, 10:07 PM
I would think if a very young pup had HD it would be showing obvious signs.
Depending on the severity of HD it maybe a slow process of diagnoses.

Bandit has HD, with hinesight, he has had it for many yrs....but was only diagnosed with it about 5 yrs ago.

Mild cases will be a gradual process, sever cases will be able to be diagnosed much earlier.

We can not second guess whether a dog or puppies suffer from HD, only investigation (xrays) will show it up for certain.
boobah
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

I'd never breed in the first place without hip scoring and anyone who doesn't is nuts,imo,xxxxxx
Hevvur
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

Teagan has severe HD.
But as a pup, everyoe said she looked fine, she was so agile (still is!), and it wasn't noticable at all.
Page 1 of 13 1 2 3 4 11 > Last »