View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
BC's Forever
New Member!
Female 

21-02-2007, 09:16 AM

Tail Docking! Some people make me so mad!

I just couldn't believe it yesterday. Someone phoned the surgery and said that she had just had a litter of rottie puppies and did we do tail docking!!!! Needless to say I told her that there was no way we would do it 1) because its a very painful experience, 2) it's totally unecessary and 3) it's illegal!
She then had the cheek to ask me if I knew anywhere that did do it, and to argue that it wasn't a painful thing to do.
When I came off of the phone I was fuming! some people just make me so mad I don't see how anyone can consider putting dogs through that

sorry I just had to have a rant
Carole
Supervisor
Female  Diamond Supporter 

21-02-2007, 09:22 AM
Looks like this litter will have tails then as tail docking is something I assume needs arranging long before the litter is born and not a last minute decision
Hevvur
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

21-02-2007, 09:33 AM
Didn't think it was illegal until April?

Docking is banned in the UK from the following dates:
Wales on 31 March 2007,
England on 6 April 2007
Scotland from 30 April 2007
Luke
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

21-02-2007, 09:37 AM
It is NOT banned yet, and imo the day it is blanket banned will be a sad day-but thats been debated to death before so i'm not getting into THAT one again
megan57collies
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

21-02-2007, 09:40 AM
My understanding is that it's still legal to dock until April however it must be done within a few days of the pups being born. Normally you select a vet through the Council of Docked breeds.
With all due respect I don't believe that it was for you to lecture a potential client on your feelings on docking. The lady called with an enquiry and I'm sorry but whatever your feelings shouldn't have been shot down in flames. I'm not for docking with show breeds to be honest however people have their opinions and that needs to be respected. Vets are there to give their opinions when asked, in this case, this was not the question. It's like my vet gave me a mouthful because I decided to let my bitch have two seasons before being spayed. I got a gobfull about the risk I was causing her That was there opinion and the practises line is spay at six months), not mine.
Yes you may be against docking but when working in an environment like a vets, personal feelings should not come into play.
BC's Forever
New Member!
Female 

21-02-2007, 09:42 AM
It is legal if done by a vet before the puppies eyes are open, but this lady had the litter 2 weeks ago.
imo its a totally unecessary practice and the sooner the ban it for good the better.
Just voicing my opinion
Mahooli
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

21-02-2007, 09:43 AM
It does sound like the breeder hadnt thought through the whole litter thing and thought it would be a simple matter of ringing up any vet and getting them done. Lets hope she doesn't do a DIY job on the poor pups.
Becky
Hevvur
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

21-02-2007, 09:50 AM
Originally Posted by BC's Forever View Post
It is legal if done by a vet before the puppies eyes are open, but this lady had the litter 2 weeks ago.
imo its a totally unecessary practice and the sooner the ban it for good the better.
Just voicing my opinion
To be fair, you did say:

Originally Posted by BC's Forever View Post
I just couldn't believe it yesterday. Someone phoned the surgery and said that she had just had a litter of rottie puppies and did we do tail docking!!!!
Teal'c
Dogsey Junior
Female 

21-02-2007, 09:51 AM
when working in an environment like a vets, personal feelings should not come into play.
Excellent post Megan I absolutely agree
megan57collies
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

21-02-2007, 09:53 AM
Sorry from your post I thought she said she'd just had a litter. If the pups were two weeks old, then the woman just had to be told that the pups were too old to be docked, that she had left it too late. In your working environment I'm sorry but I feel it is unprofessional to lecture someone who is making a genuine enquiry. It's a vets job to inform and educate but not to lecture. Sorry but that's my opinion.
Page 1 of 13 1 2 3 4 11 > Last »