Our sister sites
zero
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

25-08-2005, 05:12 PM

Dog showing (why do you show?)

Hello

I was just wondering!...

Dog shows!...I mean the official dog shows, not the for fun shows...

For people that show dogs...what do you like about it?...
For people that don't show their dogs, what do you think about showing dogs and the whole affair in general??...

Is it the winning is it the enjoyment your dog gets from the experiance?? Is it the thought that your dog was considered 'best' (if you won of course)

No one ever looks as if they have any fun, until the winner is delared and then of course they smile alot!

There was a programe on TV once about people who seriously show dogs and they were being really bitchy about one anothers dogs while grooming their own really hard...lol

I know shows are seen as a serious event but the judges always look like such misserable turnips! I know they can't 'give anything away' but still!

Everytime I see pictures of dogshows, watch crufts etc, I wonder what people get from the experiance.

...Now your thoughts...
mo
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

25-08-2005, 05:53 PM
For me showing my dogs is very enjoyable, I get to meet friends that I would probably not see til the working season comes around, its a nice feeling for your dog to win, not so great if you dont, its like any hobby really,

Mo
Borderdawn
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

25-08-2005, 06:26 PM
I enjoy meeting likeminded people and discussing dogs in general.

Unfortunately there are many breeders who just thrive on winning and nothing else, if its not good enough, get rid and breed another. I cannot get my head round such ego trippers, I cant imagine parting with one of my dogs, just because they don't look right. All that said, I like showing and will continue with it, most of the folk love their dogs and its a hobby. I also enjoy watching other breeds too.
Dawn.
Naomi
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

25-08-2005, 06:29 PM
I've never shown dogs but hubby used to show livestock, I know it;s not the same thing but they left the showing behind cos there was so much backstabbing and slagging off going on.

I must admit watching crufts you can't always tell if everyone is enjoying themselves, the only ones who really seem to be enjoying themselves are those doing agility. I only like to watch Crufts cos I like the different breeds.

Mo I think that's half the problem in the show world today. Some don't look at it as a hobby
Louie
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

25-08-2005, 06:36 PM
I love to show and its not just the winning (although that bit is good as well) its the thrill of taking a good dog in the ring. I,m totally addicted and i think its the competition and the adrenaline rush i always get when waiting to see if the judge is going to pick my dog. There is bitchiness in showing as in any other competition, i try not to get involved in that and even if i don,t always agree with the judges opinion i always congratulate those in front of me. Not that long ago i overheard a fellow exhibitor slating one of my dogs as i beat him and got best of breed, he didn,t know that i had heard him. Later on at another show after she had done well again i came out of the ring and he said, 'well done, your bitch looks lovely and moved beautifully'. I just smiled at him and said thankyou. Although i did feel like saying more. Its human nature you naturally feel disheartened if your dog is 'chucked'
but there are other days and different judges
JoedeeUK
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

25-08-2005, 06:44 PM
I show my dogs & have been showing dogs for over 30 years(seems a lot longer)

I have made up a champion & done my share of winning, but always it was to be with my dogs & enjoying them.

now we treat it as a day out & places at shows are a bonus

I'll be showing & working my new baby Roy(if he likes it)but win or lose the best dogs always come home with me

I also enjoy grooming my dogs & changing them from scruffy little rats into lovely clean shining show dogs & they queue up to get bathed & blown dried !

Archer
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

25-08-2005, 07:35 PM
I show to enjoy a day out with my dogs and to spend time in the company of like minded people whos company I enjoy.
I have enjoyed my some good results but they are a bonus.....as long as the boys have enjoyed the day and I've enjoyed a natter with other elkie owners then its been a good day.
marean
Dogsey Senior
Female 

25-08-2005, 07:38 PM
I have only attended the 'fun dog shows' but have been surprised at how serious some people seem to take it all. As Borderdawn said, I find it interesting to see other dogs and particularly to see other Borders as they vary in features, size etc. I have met friendly people who are happy to have a doggy chat but there does appear to be an element of stand offishness. They tend to give you and your dog the once over with this air of snootiness about them. Its funny because when walking my dog I have found that most dog walkers are friendly people and stop and pass the time of day or at least acknowledge you which proves the common thought that 'doggy people are freindly people'. Basically coming across this different breed of 'doggy people' was new to me, especially at 'fun dog shows' and quite frankly I found it quite off putting . Have to say the very first one I went to Harvey won 'Best Terrier' well chuffed
Archer
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

25-08-2005, 08:00 PM
Originally Posted by marean
Basically coming across this different breed of 'doggy people' was new to me, especially at 'fun dog shows' and quite frankly I found it quite off putting
Thats a shame....most of us are quite nice really
Gems
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

25-08-2005, 08:21 PM
I dont do dog shows, i have nothing against people who choose to show, but personally i have no interest in it You guys already know why i dont think too highly of showing, so i wont go into it all again!
Closed Thread
Page 1 of 13 1 2 3 4 11 > Last »