View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Loki's mum
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

07-09-2009, 08:44 PM

Been threatened at work - need advice!!!

As some of you know I am a dog groomer. Today a man brought a little Cavalier in for a trim. I gave him a scissor trim, bathed and dries him, then the guy came back and said he actually wanted the dog clipped short. So I clipped the dog's body and as I was doing his chest the clipper snagged on a little scab and took the top off it. There was no blood and it was very superficial and crusty round the edges, a thin scratch about 3cm long. I called the owner over and told him and he said it was fine, so I finished the dog and he paid and left. An hour later he phoned to say his dog had been to the vets because I had cut him, and the vet had confirmed it was done with clippers and had sent a sample for analysis. I told him the blade I had used would not cut skin and clipper blades certainly don't cut in a staright line and I believed it was an old scab. He accused me of lying and trying to cover it, then said he wanted compensation. I told him that if he brought me a letter from his vet and a bill I would honour it as a gesture of goodwill, but he said no, the vet had treated his dog for free and so there was no bill, and he wanted me to pay him £200 'to make it go away'. He told me he is a press photographer, he had already taken pictures of the 'wound' and it will be in the press next week if I don't pay up. I told him I didn't like his threatening tone and eventually hung up. I KNOW for a fact that I didn't cut the dog. If I had I would have confessed and sorted it there and then. I have a horrid feeling he is going to make trouble for me now.

What strikes me as odd is that he refused to give his mobile phone number when he dropped the dog off, and the home number he gave was wrong. He also refused to tell me who his vet is until I have paid up. Obviously he is getting nothing from me - but what would you do?
aliwin
Dogsey Senior
Female 

07-09-2009, 08:53 PM
How horrible for you. Some people are real idiots. I can't see that you have done anything wrong tbh. I think your offer to pay the vet bill etc. was more than generous. I also think that if he had the backing of a vet he would have no problem in you speaking with them. I certainly don't know many vets that would treat a dog for free! (unless he was being blackmailed too?) Ask him to put his complaint in writing and you will get back to him. Stand up to him he will go away when he realises you are not a push over.
Vicki
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

07-09-2009, 08:54 PM
I think ignore it for the time being. Sounds like a bit of a chancer to me, Gill. Any further threats from him, let him know that your lawyer is dealing with the matter.

x0x
Lou
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

07-09-2009, 08:56 PM
Tell him to get lost! You didn't cut the dog......Hope you hear no more from this muppet. Might be worth you ringing the police and asking them to log your complaint, then if anything happens the police will be aware of the situation.

Bless ya! *Hugs*
Jackie
Dogsey Veteran
Female  Diamond Supporter 

07-09-2009, 08:57 PM
Call his bluff, tell him you have CC TV in your parlour, which records all your clients and their dogs, for security sake.

Tell him to bring a letter from the vets for their treatment, or if said vet treated for free, then why is he demanding monetary gain.

Tell him Blackmail is a criminal offence, and with his demandsn and back up from your CCTV.. you will go to the police
Tassle
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

07-09-2009, 09:00 PM
Originally Posted by Jackbox View Post
Call his bluff, tell him you have CC TV in your parlour, which records all your clients and their dogs, for security sake.

Tell him to bring a letter from the vets for their treatment, or if said vet treated for free, then why is he demanding monetary gain.

Tell him Blackmail is a criminal offence, and with his demandsn and back up from your CCTV.. you will go to the police
...and make sure you have someone with you - or record the call....
Lorna
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

07-09-2009, 09:05 PM
I would let it go to press if he's that convinced and then sell back your side of the story, if he goes any further I'd go to a solicitor, but I wouldn't pay a dime to this chancer!
Krusewalker
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

07-09-2009, 09:14 PM
sounds like a scam to me

to cover yourself in future, ask the owners on the app form if the dog has any pres-existing injuries, marks, blemishes, etc, and if they say no but you find one, inform the owner in person before continuing and take a time stamped photo of said feature.
jumbosdad
Dogsey Junior
Male 

07-09-2009, 09:26 PM
I'd infrom your colluegues at other grooming parlours as he may be trying it everywear,
Cassius
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

07-09-2009, 09:54 PM
Originally Posted by Jackbox View Post

What she said!

Originally Posted by jumbosdad View Post
I'd infrom your colluegues at other grooming parlours as he may be trying it everywear,
What he said too!

Tell him exactly where to go. Let him go to press. Yes blackmail is a criminal offence and so is libel and slander. If he goes to press he'll also ruin the reputation of the owner so he has bitten off more than he can chew.

I'd contact all the local groomers and local vets to let them know what has happened. The police need to know as a matter of course as there are a few offences there already.

Laura xx
Page 1 of 13 1 2 3 4 11 > Last »