Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Ripsnorterthe2nd
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

06-07-2008, 10:42 PM
Originally Posted by Stormey View Post
Used to do that with Storm, he would bite my hands.

When Storm nipped I would just ignore him and walked away, he would follow but would get no attention untill he sat nicely(not bouncing and moving).
I guess that's the answer, only rewarding the correct behaviour. Easier said than done with some people though!
Stormey
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

06-07-2008, 10:46 PM
Originally Posted by Ripsnorterthe2nd View Post
I guess that's the answer, only rewarding the correct behaviour. Easier said than done with some people though!
Yep and dogs are smart ******s, you forget once and they will let you know.
ticketyboo
Dogsey Junior
Female 

07-07-2008, 10:30 AM
When my dogs were pups and inclined to nip, i would shout out as if in pain, turn my back on the dog and walk away ...I would do that every time so that eventually they came to understand that it was unaccceptable behaviour.
Lottie
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

07-07-2008, 02:11 PM
Originally Posted by Ripsnorterthe2nd View Post
That's exactly it.
In answer to your earlier question, it can be trained out but the consistency is important and the above quote too.

Each time the wrong behaviour (the bad habit) is reinforced it becomes stronger. Each time it is ignored (and the correct behaviour rewarded) it becomes a tiny bit weaker. Unfortunately you have to ignore it a lot more to make it go away than you have to reinforce it to make it stronger!

I know what you're saying, mine are still very 'naughty' with some people because those people reinforce the 'naughty' behaviour!
Ripsnorterthe2nd
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

08-07-2008, 09:32 PM
Originally Posted by Lottie View Post
That's exactly it.
In answer to your earlier question, it can be trained out but the consistency is important and the above quote too.

Each time the wrong behaviour (the bad habit) is reinforced it becomes stronger. Each time it is ignored (and the correct behaviour rewarded) it becomes a tiny bit weaker. Unfortunately you have to ignore it a lot more to make it go away than you have to reinforce it to make it stronger!

I know what you're saying, mine are still very 'naughty' with some people because those people reinforce the 'naughty' behaviour!
I really do think the hardest part will be teaching the people how to teach the dog not to nip!

Humans though, eh? If only they were as smart as dogs!
ClaireandDaisy
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

09-07-2008, 08:51 AM
Shamus (new boy) sometimes gets carried away in playfighting Daisy and grabs me instead. I tend to over-react - a loud scream followed by a curse, a glare and an offended silence. He stares saucer-eyed at me and doesn`t do it again...for a while.
Page 2 of 2 < 1 2