View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Fudgeley
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

08-11-2007, 07:43 AM
Nothing more to add, but sending some support in what must be a dreadful time. The only thing that stands out is that their was only one puncture wound. He did not maul the other dog or shake it violently, else it would have been dead when you got there.
youngstevie
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

08-11-2007, 11:39 AM
Hi. Hope today yr feeling better. I asked the other day if this is a trait, but looking at what you,ve written I sincerely thing yr Bond was playing, simply because he lives with other dogs and you do not suggest that he fights at home. We never had that pleasure in getting the X mastiff home, Im so thankful we decided to go for a walk 1st. Definately the X we had hoped to take certainly wanted to kill, thats evident by Skye's back leg, had our other collie Reah not been there I really think that would of happened as she was the only thing that got him off, we had no chance, fortunately Reah is so loyal to her younger campanion as she is to all of the family. Im sure all will go well for you XX
Losos
Fondly Remembered
Male 

08-11-2007, 12:28 PM
Originally Posted by Ramble View Post
just a word of warning on tethering a dog in a car, you will have to make sure that the lead isn't long enough to allow the dog out of the car at all, it should be short, otherwise you may find yourself with a dog half way out of your window and being strangled by its collar.
Yes, this is very important The lead we use is just long enough to allow Bara to get her head out the window, but no more.
doglvr
New Member!
Female 

08-11-2007, 04:03 PM
Originally Posted by Mahooli View Post
Can I say please don't blame yourself, as someone who has had dogs killed by other dogs and a dog killing dog (my own) I am probably in the hopefully unique position of knowing what it is like from both sides.
Please don't consider putting him down. If he'd got out of the car and attacked a person then yes I wouldn't hesitate but he didn't, he clearly didn't savage the dog and the poor thing probably died of shock more than anything else.
Can't add any more to what else has been said but thinking of you.
Becky
Mahooli, Thank you for writing. Rob12's comment haunted me all night; if this had happened to one of my dogs, I'm not sure I wouldn't feel the way he does. I can't imagine experiencing what you have, but you are in a unique position of understanding on this board. We are going to our vet today to talk to him about our dog, and we are going to visit the people whose dog died.

I called a 2nd trainer last night who deals specifically with dog aggression; she's worked on all ends of the spectrum, including with police dogs. She also put her own dog to sleep 10 years ago after it bit a child. In her view, we can help our dog. She focuses on introducing dogs to each other and on the anxiety and frustration dogs build up behind barriers: in cars, behind windows, behind fences, etc. Again, thank you for your message. The posts on this board have helped me so much.
emmielove
New Member!
Female 

04-08-2009, 08:07 PM
Let me just start by saying I have been in the exact situation just this past April. However, I am the one with the little dog that was killed. Her name was Emmie and she was a Chihuahua. Its a terrible situation to be in and I am still having a difficult time with it all. What I can say is you as the dog owner did everything right. You should not blame yourself. The dog's owner that killed my dog watched it happen, walked the other way saying she would get help and disappeared. She lived 3 doors down. She never looked me in the face or bothered to say she was sorry. Matter of fact, that same night she let her daughter walk the dog in our yard and even felt it was ok for the dog to relieve itself. It was a huge slap in the face and has not helped the mourning process at all. I filed a report with Animal Control as anyone would do. They determined the dog was "potentially dangerous" I would like to express my appreciation for you being a responsible dog owner and doing the right thing. I would have had much more closure with the entire situation if they would have been like you. Thank you again for sharing your story.
Tupacs2legs
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

04-08-2009, 08:57 PM
Originally Posted by Hali View Post
What a horrible thing to happen.

I can't really offer any advice. From what you have described it seems that it was bad luck that the wee dog died - more due to its age and being scared than any physical harm your dog did. Yes, your dog should never have gone for the other, but there are an awful lot of us who have dogs that have taken a dislike to another dog at one time or other.

To me there is a huge difference from a dog savaging another to death and an old dog who's heart gives up from the shock (if I've understood right what seems to have happened).

I don't think there was anything else you could have done for the other dog or his owner.
i agree with hali here(and others)i feel for you
whilst iam not trying to make excuses,years ago a similar thing ALMOST happened to me,whilst walking one of my sibes (on lead) he truly didnt think it was a dog until he picked it up and it reacted like one,this may or may not be the case with you,but i think the little dogs age played more of a part in this,and you sound like a decent honest person with a concious,thats what counts,please dont give up on your boy just yet,the fact he lives with 2 other dogs shows you he can be civil.
take care
Meg
Supervisor
Female  Diamond Supporter 

04-08-2009, 09:16 PM
*Please note this thread is nearly 2 years old so you may not get a response from some members who originally posted here *
valandra
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

05-08-2009, 09:34 AM
How awful for you to go thro something like that. Its things like that which stick in your mind for a long time. But i wouldnt be beating yourself up about it, from the sounds of it you did everything you could. You acted as quick and as responsible as you could. Even tho you wanted to take the dog to the vets, its entirely up to the owner or dog walker of that dog. You offered a few times and he still didnt take the dog there. You done very well in a bad situation, i hope that this never happens again x
Page 4 of 4 < 1 2 3 4