Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Tommyboy
Dogsey Junior
Female 

06-01-2015, 10:06 AM

Choke chain nearly killed a dog

The other night my hubby was out walking our 2 dogs, when he heard shouts for help. He saw a man with a dog thrashing about and thought he was being attacked. He ran up to help and the man said his dog was choking. It turned out that the dogs choke chain has tightened and locked and the dog was trying to free itself. They managed to get the dog to the floor, by this time the dogs eyes were rolling back in its head and the owner was frantic. They released the choke chain and after a few minutes the dog came round and got up. I am so glad that it looks like this dog is going to be ok, but if my hubby hadn't been there the outcome may have been different. I know everybody has their own methods of training, but this incident has just reinforced why I would never use a choke chain.
Meg
Supervisor
Female  Diamond Supporter 

06-01-2015, 10:16 AM
poor dog, I hate choke chains and prefer a well fitting harness to anything else that way no pressure at all is put on the dogs neck.

Thank gooodness the dog was ok.
Tommyboy
Dogsey Junior
Female 

06-01-2015, 10:26 AM
We haven't seen the owner since, but we really hope there has been no lasting damage. Charlie, our basset, was a puller, we ordered a harness from the States for him, because it was recommended by a basset breeder. Works fantastically, we only had to use it a few times and the pulling has stopped.
chlosmum
Almost a Veteran
Female 

06-01-2015, 11:04 AM
That is frightening! When I was looking for Obedience Classes for my two dogs I walked out of the first one when the trainer told me to buy choke chains!

Both mine have been trained wearing collars which is normal in Hungary. I was extremely careful when I chose them and made sure they fitted nicely without any chaffing. My little one has a nylon Trixie collar and my larger dog has a handmade soft "felt" like collar which fits her beautifully.
Gnasher
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

06-01-2015, 12:08 PM
The very worst thing you can use on a puller is a choke chain ... the more the chain tightens, the more the dog will pull to get away from it. It is extremely cruel and can damage the dog's neck.

Poor dog - I hope he recovers from his traumatic experience, it sounds absolutely horrendous.
Malka
Dogsey Veteran
Female  Diamond Supporter 

06-01-2015, 12:44 PM
Back in the days of Barbara Woodhouse, choke chains were, according to her, the best things to use, so when we adopted a rescue dog from Battersea Dogs and Cats Home, that was what we used. Twin and I were about 12 years old at the time, and Binkie-the-dog was a small to medium size mutt approximately 18 months old.

When Mother went to collect her, Battersea sold her a collar for a tag, a leash - and a choke chain for when taking her out for walks.

Luckily Binkie-the-dog was a very quiet, placid, happy dog, who never pulled so the chain was always loose around her neck, but with the knowledge I now have I wonder why Battersea sold Mother the choke chain to be used when taking her for walks.

Binkie-the-dog lived a long, happy and healthy life until she developed extreme separation anxiety when she was about 17 years old, and for her sake she was pts.
brenda1
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

06-01-2015, 01:06 PM
I hate check chains. But no matter what you put on a dog it is all down to training. Harnesses can be stepped out of, collars can be backed out of and halties unless fitted really well rub eyes etc. So training is the key. Sorry big thing of mine.
Tommyboy
Dogsey Junior
Female 

06-01-2015, 01:45 PM
Totally agree. The harness for Charlie was used as a training tool. When he stayed by our sides and didn't pull he was rewarded with treats and we told him good close. I'm not saying my two boys are angels, they are definitely not! We do try with them, Tommy has forgotten his manners and training now he had hit 7 months, but I still wouldn't use a choke chain. We will have to go back to basics and start again with him.
Lacey10
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

06-01-2015, 05:02 PM
Thank heaven your hubby was there to help,must have been extremely upsetting to see and terrifying for that poor dog
sandgrubber
Dogsey Junior
Female 

06-01-2015, 05:26 PM
If a choke chain were used on a person it would be called a garrote.

IMO prong collars are safer than choke chains.
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >