Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Tori
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

18-01-2011, 06:26 PM

Vitamin c for guinea pigs

If anyone has any guinea pigs what is the best way for them to get vitamin c, do any of you use supplements?
Petticoat
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

18-01-2011, 06:51 PM
Green leafy veg like spring greens, not too much at first, green pepper and cherry toms! I give mine lots of veg everyday, a dry feed that contains vit C (Burgess supa excel) and no other supplements.
ATD
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

18-01-2011, 07:22 PM
Fruit n veg
ATD x
rune
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

18-01-2011, 07:32 PM
They like oranges as well.

rune
Duck
Dogsey Junior
Female 

18-01-2011, 08:21 PM
lots of fruit and veg like everyone has said. mine love oranges.
tillytheterrier
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

18-01-2011, 08:31 PM
Originally Posted by rune View Post
They like oranges as well.

rune
Do they? I've always wondered if oranges are ok and didnt want to risk it but I shall try them now. I've got some clementines in the fruit bowl so a little treat is coming their way!
Petticoat
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

18-01-2011, 10:26 PM
Mine like satsumas!
Tori
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

19-01-2011, 09:16 PM
Thanks for all the replies, it was for my sister she was worried that they might need a supplement but if they get plenty of fruit and veg it should be fine and i saw a lot of the dry foods have vitamin c in them too.
GuineaPigQueen
New Member!
Female 

21-01-2011, 10:19 PM
Never ever use a Vit C supplement in the water, the light renders it useless and also it makes the water taste icky so they dont tend to drink as much. They only need to be supplemented with Vit C if its for a health reason under the vets.

Please dont feel lots of fruit. Its way too sugary and they should have about one peice per week (1 segment, 2 at most). Its also acidy which can cause problems. Please refer to:

http://www.guineapigcages.com/forum/...ants-list.html

Green pepper is the best way to get Vit C in via veg, healthily. It can be fed daily. I give mine half a small, or quarter of a big pepper daily between the two.

A decent food such as Excell or Oxbowe will have enough vit C (and the other vital vits inc. D and mins) they need.

Remember they must have unlimited hay also.

Hope this helps.
GuineaPigQueen
New Member!
Female 

21-01-2011, 10:23 PM
Originally Posted by settagirl View Post
Green leafy veg like spring greens, not too much at first, green pepper and cherry toms! I give mine lots of veg everyday, a dry feed that contains vit C (Burgess supa excel) and no other supplements.
Repped for this. Brill post.
Spring greens can be slightly high in calcium, so I personally wouldnt feed every day like you can green pepper and baby tomatoes (I gut the seeds most the time though because too much of the seeds is too high in acidity - seeds given once or twice a week). I would mix the spring greens up with corriander on some days (I feed this everyday, and its alot lower in calcium).