View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Sara
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

22-11-2010, 01:26 PM

1.5 weeks of -20C weather and snowstorms makes for a CRAZY DOG!

My boy is going nuts! He's reverted back to being an idiot in the house, destroying things and pacing... Poor guy! I've got thinking toys, Play "brain" games and am doing clicker training, brushing up on his tricks and working on new ones, but MAN the poor guy is bouncing off the walls! The others are fine with the forced inactivity (more than fine actually, they are more than happy not to have to go for walks!) but Ollie, not a chance!

Today I am going to introduce nose work (having him search for treats, and put treats under cups and things like that, but he REALLY needs a run! It's too cold for him, even wearing booties and a coat, his ears get too cold, and his muzzle iced up, as does his "male" parts... but he still wants to be out and run and play. I give him short off-leash runs in the middle of the night, when I know a person or a dog aren't going to be walking by... but, not enough as within 10 mins, he's too cold.

We only have to get though one more week of this, by Friday it'll be back up to around freezing, but I dunno if the house'll still be standing by then!
SLB
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

22-11-2010, 01:30 PM
I want snow!!!

Your poor doglets
wilbar
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

22-11-2010, 01:49 PM
I just can't imagine what it must be like to that cold. I expect my dogs would be the same if they couldn't go out but at least you're able & willing to find other fun things to amuse them.

If it gets below freezing here everyone starts to worry. But both my dogs don't mind it that cold ~ they just seem to run around a bit more to keep warm but it's never been so cold that I have to worry about frost bite or anything.

I hope the temperature rises soon & your dogs can get out & about for some exercise.
Tupacs2legs
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

22-11-2010, 01:53 PM
ok im jealous ,would love to live in canada.... and my dogs would love that weather! lol
Sara
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

22-11-2010, 02:30 PM
Originally Posted by SLB View Post
I want snow!!!

Your poor doglets
Ha ha ha
Originally Posted by wilbar View Post
I just can't imagine what it must be like to that cold. I expect my dogs would be the same if they couldn't go out but at least you're able & willing to find other fun things to amuse them.

If it gets below freezing here everyone starts to worry. But both my dogs don't mind it that cold ~ they just seem to run around a bit more to keep warm but it's never been so cold that I have to worry about frost bite or anything.

I hope the temperature rises soon & your dogs can get out & about for some exercise.
This is nothing, it gets much colder, we usually walk in these types of temps, but it his so fast, one day it was 7, the next -20... seriously!
Originally Posted by Tupacs2legs View Post
ok im jealous ,would love to live in canada.... and my dogs would love that weather! lol
I'm sure your dogs would LOVE it here... unfortunately, I dont have northern breeds... well fortunately for me! LOL, I dont have to walk them when it's too cold! LOL...

Do you even have block heaters in your vehicles over there?
SLB
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

22-11-2010, 02:39 PM
We're due to have snow by the end of the week - well London is, I'm hoping it misses Nottingham on Saturday - I dont want my toes frozen over on my birthday Louie;s never met snow so it will be intresting as to what he thinks to it all
Tupacs2legs
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

22-11-2010, 02:57 PM
actually the sibes and collie can give or take the weather...my csv would adore it!!!!..... whats a block heater lol
k9paw
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

22-11-2010, 03:12 PM
Hope the temperature rises enough for you to get out n about with the dogs soon. I am hoping to visit Canada in the next couple of years, but will choose when to go carefully, can't even think of being that cold Don't know what a block heater is either. Hope the hiding treats game is working.
spockky boy
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

22-11-2010, 03:13 PM
Just an idea... One of out GSD's would go crazy if kept indoors. When we got snow when I lived in the US, my mum would chuck a handful or so of treats in the garden and send my dog out, so he could go to the toilet but sniff out the treats and keep warm, did help with his calmness in the house. She used to rub vasaline on his paws and muzzle to keep his skin from cracking.
spockky boy
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

22-11-2010, 03:15 PM
A block heater is an electric heater that heats the engine of a car to ease starting in cold weather.
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >