Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
MerlinsMum
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

06-08-2009, 11:11 PM

Jockeys!

I have a neighbour Patrick, an irishman in his late 50s who lives on his own and... well... he is a bit socially isolated, doesn't get out much, but we have become good neighbourly friends. He adores my dog (and that's mutual) so once a week I take Merlin round and we have an evening in front of the TV, a good chat and sometimes a glass or two of wine.

One day Merlin was scratching a bit so I mentioned he may have a few 'Runners & Riders'. I have no idea where I got that phrase from but I've always used it when I mean fleas.

Next time I went round, Merlin was still scratching (turned out it wasn't fleas but a reaction to the cat food he nicked).

"Oooh," said Patrick (I am not going to try to type his irish accent) - "Merlin! have you got the Jockeys then?"

I creased up, psml!

Now I always think of my dog having Jockeys... obviously the ones that jump off straight away are Frankie Dittori and the ones that cling on for dear life must be Lester Piggot. Told a few friends about it too and now people are staring to call the little jumpers Jockeys as well!
Vicki
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

07-08-2009, 05:34 AM
Sounds so much better than fleas!

Lovely of you to befriend Patrick, too x

Cassius
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

07-08-2009, 06:44 AM
Hi,

I like that - Jockeys! I may start calling them tht too.

They've always been known as "squatters" in my household!

Laura xx
Hali
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

07-08-2009, 08:02 AM
that made me smile