Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Roofs
Dogsey Junior
Female 

20-03-2012, 12:24 PM

Carrots

Are carrots ok to give to dogs? I know they can't digest vegetables unless they are mulched but this mornng my terrier was chewing the door (as puppies do!) and so I chucked him a nice large chunk of cold carrot to chew on.

He seemed pretty satifised with this and I guess a cold carrot helps with teething (he's 9 weeks old, do they start teething yet???) and he can have the satisfactin of destroying it and we don't have to worry about upsetting his tummy.

Was this a good thing to do or not?
BeagleBella
Dogsey Senior
Female 

20-03-2012, 02:04 PM
Hiya, well I heard it was good as helps with vitamins?! I have always given Bella carrots! She loves them! Even better when I freeze them, they really helped with her teething.

Don't think he will be teething yet as I believe its between 4 and 6 months. He may just like to chew
krlyr
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

20-03-2012, 02:16 PM
They're not poisonous but as with any new food, introduce slowly to avoid a tummy upset. Carrots are one of the more sugar-y vegetables so not ideal in big quantities, but I have used carrots as treats for my two, and know people who give whole carrots as chews for their dogs. You'll probably find most of it comes out the other end if it was raw, so don't be surprised to find orange chunky poo!
alexgirl73
Almost a Veteran
Female 

20-03-2012, 02:16 PM
well my Ranger loves his carrots sits there with them between his paws and chomps away. We have to get the really big ones now though lol.
rough
Dogsey Senior
Female 

20-03-2012, 02:18 PM
Originally Posted by alexgirl73 View Post
well my Ranger loves his carrots sits there with them between his paws and chomps away. We have to get the really big ones now though lol.
MINE TOO
PB&J
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

20-03-2012, 02:23 PM
My dog loves whole raw carrots as an occasional treat
Wyrd
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

20-03-2012, 02:46 PM
I used to give Cooper frozen carrots when he was a pup, took longer to chew and helped when he was teething.
They still have them now although they come out a bit chunky in their poo
smokeybear
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

20-03-2012, 03:12 PM
Originally Posted by Roofs View Post
Are carrots ok to give to dogs? I know they can't digest vegetables unless they are mulched but this mornng my terrier was chewing the door (as puppies do!) and so I chucked him a nice large chunk of cold carrot to chew on.

He seemed pretty satifised with this and I guess a cold carrot helps with teething (he's 9 weeks old, do they start teething yet???) and he can have the satisfactin of destroying it and we don't have to worry about upsetting his tummy.

Was this a good thing to do or not?
Carrots are great chew toys for some dogs and they are often useful when pups are teething.

They are a good source of beta carotene, but only if cooked or pulped.

They will act as fibre when whole so it may trigger a rather large stool and carrots when raw and whole tend to go out the way they came in.

I would avoid giving a puppy more than one large carrot (at most) per day though.
EgyptGal
Almost a Veteran
Female 

20-03-2012, 04:12 PM
Mine all love carrotts and have had them since being pups : )
Helena54
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

20-03-2012, 04:48 PM
Brilliant frozen for teething problems, or just as a healthy treat. All my dogs have loved raw carrots, they got one after each meal, I just felt it helped to clean their teeth!
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >