Our sister sites
lisalou
New Member!
Female 

25-08-2009, 05:13 PM

Looking for some advice, male vīs female dog

Hi
Iīm hoping I can get some advice from you all

Can anyone tell me the differences from male and female dogs, well apart from the obvious We had a male dog and I found him to be very dominant. He wanted to be pack leader and certainly was most of the time I can take some of the blame for this as I wasnīt consistent with his training, not really fully comprehending the importance of it at the time.

Weīre thinking of getting another dog and want to know if it would be advisable to get a female instead.

Also, when the female menstruates, is there much blood? Itīs a small breed dog weīre looking at, a coton de tulear.

thanks for any help.
GSD-Sue
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

26-08-2009, 10:54 AM
Bitches seasons vary wildly from dog to dog, I've had bitches where I haven't realised theywere in season & othersho were very messy. As for dog or bitch I tend to have one of each & in the majority of cases its been the bitch who is the boss. With good preparation & correct training from the start I'd say its perfectly possible to get what you desire from either sex.
Insomnia
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

26-08-2009, 01:08 PM
i know of some VERY dominant bitches and some very laid back boys, i think it varies greatly.

i generally prefer boys as i know more mellow ones and i know more moody girls, but like i said, it can vary a lot and you need to decide what kind of personality you want and go for that above gender, imho
CheekyChihuahua
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

26-08-2009, 01:16 PM
I have 2 boys and 7 girls. The boys are by far more mellow and easy-going than the girls EXCEPT when one of the girls is in season, then it's hatred between the boys and I have to keep them parted most of the time. One of my females is top dog and the others abide by her wishes on the whole. She's a natural doggy leader and is not spiteful or nasty, just a typical female!

My experience of boys over the years is that they are loving and good tempered, don't do the bitching but can be a pain with marking around the house (my boys are not neutered). They tend to just need love and food and they are as happy as can be (pretty much like human males )

Girls, I feel, have more character (I actually like the Princess attitude that a few of my Chis have).

That is only my personal opinion of the dogs I have owned over the years.

As for bleeding with the girls, some bleed a lot (especially for such small dogs) others barely bleed at all and some are so busy cleaning themselves all the time that I don't see the amount of blood they lose. So difficult to say really, every girl is different
lilypup
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

26-08-2009, 01:28 PM
i've got a 4 month old female jrt and also a male bc aged 12 that i've had for 6 years. i lost my male lurcher last year after 12 and a half years together.

my 2 boys have been uncomplicated (emotionally) and ignoring certain breed traits, pretty easy going. both were rescue so came with issues but we got through them together with not that much trouble.

lily, who i've had from 9 weeks, certainly is a different kettle of fish! she is a feisty girl and can be challenging. i would agree with CC regarding the 'princess' attitude and i also quite like that in my girl.

i guess alot of it depends on the breed, your attitude, the environment the dog lives in, exercise and training.
labradork
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

26-08-2009, 01:58 PM
It is hard to generalize really. For every stubborn bitch there is a stubborn dog, and for every affection dog there is an affectionate bitch.

I have to say that my two bitches are on the whole a lot easier then my dog was as a pup. My girls don't mouth, are not particularly destructive and are not obsessed with humping everything that moves.

I find also find that most often it is young entire males that have recall issues. If I took my male Lab to the park as a puppy (or anywhere with people) he would bolt to see any person or dog within eyesight. It took until he was at least 18 months of age to the point where he was controllable. My girls don't have this problem...they say 'hi' if we are passing then move on.

My preference is definitely for bitches now on, having mostly had dogs.
Katie23
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

26-08-2009, 02:02 PM
our 2 bitches - (one we lost last year but up until then) one was very dominant... other trying

the male dog is sooo laid back you would forget about him and loose him (we have )

depends on the dog imo....

the next dog i have i want a bitch as ive found they are also more loyal (i supposed its down to the individual but its just what weve had).... but id have to get adog due to my bitch being a bitch
denbully
Dogsey Junior
Female 

27-08-2009, 01:20 AM
i have one of each sex and i think it can be different for each breed in our breed (bullmastiffs) yes the boy can be quiet dominant, but with the right training and know how this would not be a problem i find the boys much calmer, girls can be a bit scatty at times and the boys i find much more loving my boy has always been around girls and so is more submissive even with dogs outside the home and hes a great dog to be around dogs who are not sure of other dogs and he is quiet oftern used at training classes as a calm dog with dogs who are very unsure. where as my girl can be a complete nut job who will just jump all over other dogs to say hello. I also think males are natural subbmissive to bitches so that they tend to be quieter dogs, as for the bleeding issue with bitches it varies from bitch to bitch some bleed less some keep them self cleaner than others, i have been very lucky with my girls both have kept them selfs very clean.
Labman
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

27-08-2009, 01:45 AM
In general males may be a little more strong willed, and more affectionate. However, as the others have mentioned, it varies with a huge overlap between males and females.

All but those making a major commitment for breeding should spay/neuter their pets by 6 months. Thus no mess to contend with.

Buy a puppy, and it is hard to say what it will turn out to be like. One of the best sources for dogs with a predictable personality is the rescue dogs. These are dogs that lost their home, but were taken into a foster home to be retrained as necessary and placed in the right home for them. You may find a rescue near you in th eUSA starting at http://www.akc.org/breeds/rescue.cfm In the UK, try http://www.dogstrust.org.uk/ The rescues charge a fee to help cover their expenses, but is much less than the price of a puppy plus all its medical expenses the first year.