Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Lottie
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

28-01-2006, 08:43 PM

Connection problem through Wireless Network

For the last few days I haven't been able to access the wireless network we have via my laptop.

Now I can access the network but not the internet (only through another pc in the house). I've worked out that I can access any file on the server computer through the network from my laptop. However, I can't access the Broadcom ADSL Router even though it's in My Network Places.

When I click it to view properties or 'Invoke' all I get is 'The device you are trying to use is not currently available on your network'

I think, through using Lottie-logic, which isn't great, that somewhere on the server it has blocked permission for my laptop (and only my laptop - all the others will connect) to access the Router and therefore, the internet.

This is all great, so I go and change permissions - sorted. But I don't know how to do that!

If anyone has any ideas on how to change my permissions to let my IP Address access the router, that would be fab!

Thankyou!
Cumbrian Lass
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

28-01-2006, 08:47 PM
Someone else may be able to help more than I ever can, but have you tried to manually input the laptops IP number into the servers firewall allow zone?
royv
Dogsey Senior
Male 

28-01-2006, 09:39 PM
The wireless laptop connects directly to the Broadcom ADSL Router using wireless ? or does it access the internet via the PC hard-wired directly to the Broadcom ADSL Router using a wireless connection on that PC (using Internet Connection Sharing) ?
Lottie
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

29-01-2006, 06:34 PM
Cumbrian Lass, tried all that

Originally Posted by royv
The wireless laptop connects directly to the Broadcom ADSL Router using wireless ? or does it access the internet via the PC hard-wired directly to the Broadcom ADSL Router using a wireless connection on that PC (using Internet Connection Sharing) ?
It goes directly to the router so that we can use it when the server is switched off.
royv
Dogsey Senior
Male 

30-01-2006, 08:31 PM
It sounds like your laptop isn't setup with the correct DNS/gateway settings for some reason.

If you open up My Network places and then View Network connections, you should be able to locate the wireless connection. Right-click on it and select Properties. In the list of items locate TCP/IP and highlight it. Click on the Properties button.

If your Broadcom router is configured as a DHCP server, try using "Obtain an IP address automatically". Similarly, try the Obtain "DNS server addresses automatically" option. If DHCP isn't available, compare the IP addresses you've got for the laptop with the ones on the othe computer. The DNS addresses should be identical. The laptop's own IP address should be in the same range as the other PC eg 192.168.1.1 and 192.168.1.2

The Broadcom router should have an IP address of it's own. This value should be entered in the bit where it says Default gateway.