Dogsey Veteran
Female 

10-04-2014, 05:00 PM
Primula Denticulata.
gordon mac
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

10-04-2014, 05:07 PM
Blast - Moyra beat me to the $60,000 question coming in with Primula Denticulata. Do enjoy your winnings Moyra, as I couldn,t get to show off over the plant naming could you cut me in for some of the dosh? Just thought I better get my begging letter in first (you know how grasping some of them can be - on here!) After all they have the Wine and Choklit Industries to support!!!! Elaine - Handy Hints for Broodies Vol 1. the following was shown to me by an old friend many years ago, and I have used the method ever since with great success, the chap in question was a 7th generation Gamekeeper and an absolute fount of knowledge (he was besides this one of the kindest most decent men I have ever had the pleasure to call "friend"). First cut a piece of turf some 2 inches or so thick and make it bigger by 1inch all round than the floor of your broody's nest box, then turn it over (grass side down) and place it in nest box. This will leave an upturned surround of 1inch or so. Now starting in the centre of what is now a bare soil base, scrape a bowl shaped depression some 1inch deep. This should be just a little bigger all round than the size of your hen, when she is sitting (of course you will have to roughly judge this by eye, as sitting broodies are not very co-operative when it comes to tape measures) then fill the depression you have created with eggs. The number of eggs that this depression will hold is the maximum that the hen can sit with success. Because of its shape there is no chance of roll-away or a stray egg being allowed to go cold and die and then be dragged back under by the hen to the detriment of others. The de-composing grass under the base will provide excellent humidity and facilitate the best possible conditions for a successful and very natural hatch. If you wish a small amount of straw can be packed loosely around the edges of the box. This may sound a little odd but believe me it does work very well and it was the method used on the big Shooting Estates of yesteryear when 100's of broodies were set in large rearing fields. Hope you find this of interest. Bye fer now.
Elaine
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

10-04-2014, 05:34 PM
Originally Posted by Lynn View Post
Moi I'm not scarey.
I can honestly say, Def not scarey. A really lovely lady, and I hope she dosent mind me saying, but I am happy to call Lynn my friend...We get on so well.

Thanks for that Gordon, all I have to do now is find a suitable bit of turf that dosent have a hole or any bones buried in it. I will make that my mission tomorrow afternoon, when I get home from shopping.

Finger has stopped bleeding, but knocked my thumb knuckle this afternoon, I think I need a carer.... Managed to make the dogs biscuits and of course I had to test them, and they passed, very tasty, peanut butter, turmeric and coconut in them. Dogs like them too, always a bonus.

Have a nice evening, I might be in later xx
Helena54
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

10-04-2014, 05:39 PM
Originally Posted by Lynn View Post
Moi I'm not scarey.
Shhh, I now, it's a cover up job, I thought it might make her behave!!!!

Jeesus Christ! I just realised, I went off for my nanny nap this afternoon with the front door open!!!! Good job I live in a "safe" area isn't it, otherwise they could have cleaned us out and both of us would have been none the wiser cos Zena zonks out like a log too, she's in upside down mode for her nanny nap, they could have just stepped over her lol.
Moyra
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

10-04-2014, 05:51 PM
Originally Posted by Mandyuk1 View Post
Afternoon everyone
I've had a busy time of it, with my attempts at looking like I'm green fingered lol the flower is in

Still haven't the foggiest what they are but aparantly they spread that's if they survive my planting
Primula denticulata!
gordon mac
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

10-04-2014, 06:06 PM
Moyra - Don't know what them Norty lasses are doing at the back of the class they are obviously not paying attention!! Perhaps a well-aimed board rubber or piece of chalk bounced off their cranium would awaken them to the fact that you are presenting top quality Horticutural Advice. You could always throw in the old "I'm not doing this for MY Own benefit!" it always used to bring my class back into focus. Bye fer now!
Bitkin
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

10-04-2014, 06:21 PM
Good evening children - have had a good read through and have now promptly forgotten most of it As always though, I nodded; shook my head; sighed; laughed and tutted in all the appropriate places.

I spent a most delightful morning with a friend, helping her to get started with her family tree and it will not be very many days before she is addicted to it!! Returned home to find that my new GTech multi cordless had arrived so have had a good play with it. I am impressed - it's powerful and easy to carry around, and came with a long tool for dealing with ceilings and skirting boards etc. which is actually the one I will be using most. No more lugging the vac around in order to deal with cobwebs and things, and no more extending hose pinging out of it's socket when trying to reach ceilings. I am very happy!
Lynn
Dogsey Veteran
Female  Gold Supporter 

10-04-2014, 06:21 PM
Course I don't mind Elaine.
Goodness Helena both you and Elaine will need a carer at this rate.

Narrow boat just gone by.
Lynn
Dogsey Veteran
Female  Gold Supporter 

10-04-2014, 06:23 PM
Evening Sally glad you have had a nice day.
The new hoover sounds very impressive. I am not jealous at all.
Page 6 of 12 « First < 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 > Last »