Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Mattie
Dogsey Senior
Female 

10-12-2013, 03:06 PM
Originally Posted by Lacey10 View Post
Trouble,your post has made me re-think this whole situation.I agree with what your saying and do believe its possible to "develop strategies to ensure the "Biter" never gets the opportunity to inflict any damage"
Thing is in this case the dog has inflicted damage Regarding the incident with the 17 month child.In my opinion that little girl did nothing wrong.She had been in the OP's home for a week and a half with no previous issues.
The dog would have had a reason but we don't know what the reason was, I suspect the dog was guarding and like a lot of dogs they will protect what they are guarding.

In this instance I can't see how the owner could have prevented it, aside from the absence of the dog Its disturbing to think this happened and not only were there adults in the room, the dog actually attacked the child while sitting on the owners lap No growling, no warning, straight in there and bit this poor child on the face
If the owner wasn't there the dog could have seriously injured or killed the child, the owner was there and was able to stop the dog doing more damage. This incident also shows how dangerous it is to suppress a dog growling, they go immediately to the bite.

As the dog was on the owner's lap they dog may have thought that the child was going to get him off and was guarding the owner. This is not acceptable behaviour for a dog but does show just how incidents can happen.

While that seems incomprehensible to me, I'm sure in the dogs mind there was reason, but if that is the mindset of this dog, I think it would be safer for all involved if he wasn't around children
A lot depends on the age of the children, as this was a toddler then yes, the dog shouldn't be with the child but older children who have been brought up with dogs and been taught how to behave with them may be find with the dog.

Have little knowledge of dog behaviour training so have no idea of the chances of that working. Be brilliant if that was possible, resulting in this dog being turned around

Have to say if it was my situation, I'm pretty sure he'd now be living with the lady who is willing to give him a home and lives alone.
I have turned dogs round that were like this and it is very rewarding but not all dogs can be turned round, too much damage has been done to them.
mjfromga
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

11-12-2013, 08:24 AM
Just because a dog doesn't like kids, doesn't mean that the dog was ever tormented by kids. Jade was never tormented by any kids, she just wasn't well socialized around them and has come to greatly fear/dislike them.

I am fairly sure that she'd severely bite one if one came up into her face etc. She is a naturally nervous dog and fears adults far too much to ever bite one, but a child makes an easy target.

I have seen her lunge towards a child's face with intent to deal serious damage. No growling, no snarling, but as soon as the child got within range... she lunged, fangs bared, ready to bite.

If I was having a kid, she'd instantly become a huge cause for concern. I would NOT instantly get rid of her, though. I'd muzzle her and give her her space if she needed it. I'd also go and spend time with her without the child. She'd not be unhappy or neglected.

And of course be around the two at all times when they are in the same room. I know Jade and same as with Nigredo, I know that she would eventually recognize the child as family and the threat would be gone by the time the child was old enough to walk about, etc. I'd still not leave the two alone, though.

Because NO dog is EVER 100% (I really don't care what ANYBODY says) it makes NO sense to leave a small child in a room alone with a dog. Especially a toddler.

He could grab the dog, or pinch the dog... or do something else that the dog doesn't like and when the dog reacts, it would NOT be the dogs fault OR the child's fault.

If the dog is a large dog, this makes even less sense because if the dog decides to attack, there is sometimes nothing you can do to stop it.

I have seen enraged, attacking, dogs shot, scalded with hot water, beaten with poles/crowbars, kicked, punched and crushed and still maul a person badly, a child would not stand a chance.

I understand that the child's safety should and does come first... but that does not mean automatically putting the dog down IMO. I think the OP is doing the right thing, trying to work with the dog before re-homing the dog or putting it down.

People get attached to their dogs and it isn't always easy to just say goodbye.
Malka
Dogsey Veteran
Female  Diamond Supporter 

11-12-2013, 08:51 AM
Originally Posted by mjfromga View Post
...[snip]...
If I was having a kid, she'd instantly become a huge cause for concern. I would NOT instantly get rid of her, though. I'd muzzle her and give her her space if she needed it. I'd also go and spend time with her without the child. She'd not be unhappy or neglected.

And of course be around the two at all times when they are in the same room. I know Jade and same as with Nigredo, I know that she would eventually recognize the child as family and the threat would be gone by the time the child was old enough to walk about, etc. I'd still not leave the two alone, though...[snip]...

I understand that the child's safety should and does come first... but that does not mean automatically putting the dog down IMO. I think the OP is doing the right thing, trying to work with the dog before re-homing the dog or putting it down.

People get attached to their dogs and it isn't always easy to just say goodbye.
You have instructed me not to address you by your name so I will not, but I would like to comment on your above statements.

1 - You have not had a child therefore you cannot have any idea as to how you would feel and how mother love kicks in.

2 - Saying that you would "spend time with her without the child" - what would you do during that time if "the child" cries and needs your attention? Especially it it was an emergency?

3 - There is no way that you, or anyone, can be sure that either Jade or Nigredo "would eventually recognize the child as family and the threat would be gone by the time the child was old enough to walk about, etc."

- Yes, people get very attached to their dogs, as I have always been to mine, but you know what? If it had ever come to the state where it was a choice between my dog/s or my own children, I would have chosen my children, my flesh and blood who I carried and delivered.
Julie
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

11-12-2013, 09:25 AM
Originally Posted by Malka View Post
You have instructed me not to address you by your name so I will not, but I would like to comment on your above statements.

1 - You have not had a child therefore you cannot have any idea as to how you would feel and how mother love kicks in.

2 - Saying that you would "spend time with her without the child" - what would you do during that time if "the child" cries and needs your attention? Especially it it was an emergency?

3 - There is no way that you, or anyone, can be sure that either Jade or Nigredo "would eventually recognize the child as family and the threat would be gone by the time the child was old enough to walk about, etc."

- Yes, people get very attached to their dogs, as I have always been to mine, but you know what? If it had ever come to the state where it was a choice between my dog/s or my own children, I would have chosen my children, my flesh and blood who I carried and delivered.

100% agree, we managed children and biter it wasn't easy and looking back I am not sure we would do the same again.
mjfromga
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

12-12-2013, 06:01 AM
Malka, this is the last time I'll ever comment to you. It'll save us both some time in the future.

"You have instructed me not to address you by your name so I will not, but I would like to comment on your above statements"

I'm glad you read that post. It was spot-on, and it's easy to tell by your lack of a smart comment that it was VERY true, which is why this will be my last comment to you, period.

"You have not had a child therefore you cannot have any idea as to how you would feel and how mother love kicks in."

I am sick and tired of you always telling me what I'd do and how I'd react as if you know me or something.

You're right... I don't have kids, and maybe there is a solid reason that you're not seeing, okay??? That being said... whatever high horse you're on... I'd suggest you climb down immediately.

"Saying that you would "spend time with her without the child" - what would you do during that time if "the child" cries and needs your attention? Especially it it was an emergency?"

Yes, I'm sure it will kill the dog to be alone for a bit. It's totally unreasonable to leave for a bit. It would totally kill her and make her mega unhappy. As if someone is with her 100% of the time, anyway. Totally!!

"There is no way that you, or anyone, can be sure that either Jade or Nigredo "would eventually recognize the child as family and the threat would be gone by the time the child was old enough to walk about, etc."

Yeah. There you go again judging a situation without knowing a lot about it. I do know Jade and I strongly believe that much like many dogs, all that she'd need would be time to get used to it.

If it didn't work, I'd be forced to have her euthanized. Why end up with a bitten child, a dog that ends up put down anyway, and tons of legal trouble? I'm not stupid... but whatever.

"Yes, people get very attached to their dogs, as I have always been to mine, but you know what? If it had ever come to the state where it was a choice between my dog/s or my own children, I would have chosen my children, my flesh and blood who I carried and delivered."

That's nice. Good for you. Goodbye.
Jenny
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

12-12-2013, 12:43 PM
I just wanted to say that you are doing everything you can to help Bear and with the support you are getting I really hope that things work out for you, Bear and the family. You both deserve it
Timber-
Almost a Veteran
Female 

13-12-2013, 03:37 AM
I adopted a rescue that is fearful of children and can't be around them. He was also a little fearful of meeting adult strangers but not to the extent with children. I worked with him with meeting adults and he's as good as gold with them now. Children on the other hand are off limits to him. So I don't think it's impossible to rehome your dog, especially since there is already someone that lives the complementary life suitable for him and is willing to bring him into her life.
muddymoodymoo
Dogsey Senior
Female 

14-12-2013, 12:22 AM
All these opinions of what one should or shouldn't do with regard to a dog who has bitten a child and the OP has not come back with an update after her initial 4 posts. Is she overwhelmed with all the opposing views I wonder? Is she confused? I would be.
BSunshyne
New Member!
Female 

14-12-2013, 01:55 AM
Hello- an update was requested.... here it is. We are working to re-train Bear. While there are other children in the home (during parties / holidays) Bear and/or Monty will be in one of two places.... up in our bedroom, or on a leash, attached to my hip. This will probably go this way for a while. We want to protect any children, AND keep bear's training heading forward. As an owner, it is my responsibility to property care and train my dogs. I got Bear and Monty at 9 weeks old, It is my responsibility for them. If there comes a time when training is not working / we have another incident, we will look to re-home him.

I do appreciate every comment that has been posted, had given me many things to consider and shown me multiple ways of looking at the situation (as I tried to explain everything).

Cheers & happy holidays...
BSunshyne
mjfromga
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

14-12-2013, 11:06 AM
Nice to hear that. Hope all goes well
Page 6 of 8 « First < 3 4 5 6 7 8 >