Our sister sites
Our sister sites
fluffymummy
Dogsey Senior
Female 

29-01-2011, 11:22 AM
[QUOTE=ClaireandDaisy;2160507]
Originally Posted by Connor9 View Post

Yeah! That works with kids too. Only those namby pamby do-gooders try to stop you. What`s wrong with teaching them the hard way I say!. Chuck `em in and watch those little beggars flail about. And if they sink you can enter them for the Darwin Awards (posthumously).
This could start a new trend. Teach your dogs and kids road safety by abandoning them on the M1.

Actually my dog fell into a pond once and the Thames once, he will now only go into water if his feet can touch the ground! No idea how he felt but it was hilarious... imagine going down the steps towards the Thames, the last one was covered with water, he was ok, then he took another step down and it was "mummy help"!!! Before anyone condemns me, yes I had him on lead and I pulled him out ok, but it was so funny!
fluffymummy
Dogsey Senior
Female 

29-01-2011, 11:24 AM
Originally Posted by ClaireandDaisy View Post
James French, sums up the trust technique like this -
The Trust Technique is a combination of communication and healing.It works by reducing the thinking levels of any type of animal so that their emotional state changes, allowing them to find confidence.
The technique teaches the human how to enter a relaxed and peaceful state of mind and how to deliver this peace of mind to the animal. This in turn creates a deeper relationship of trust and acts as solid teaching foundation for the animal.

all together...
ommmmmmmmmmmmm
Hmmmm.....right.....
fluffymummy
Dogsey Senior
Female 

29-01-2011, 11:29 AM
Originally Posted by Moon's Mum View Post
I don't think much of animal communicators. My friend ran a small animal rescue and an animal communicator offered to come in for free as she was a charity. As it was free my friend said "sure, why not." The animal communicator then proceeded to tell her that her rescue collie Finn was dominant because he placed a paw on her knee and went on to tell her that one of the degus didn't like his name and wanted to be called Michael Any possibility of credibility went right out the window at that point!!!

Sone things like TTouch and possibly Reiki might work, but in my opinion this trust technique...in the words of Cartman....sounds like "a bunch of tree hugging hippy cr*p"

I'd definately find out more from your trainer before departing with your hard earned cash
Hahahahahaha... oh I can just imagine them telling me Fluffy feels emasculated by being called Fluffy and me chopping his balls off

Thanks for that people, good to get feedback, waiting for the trainer to get back to me to see her opinion.
k9paw
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

29-01-2011, 12:28 PM
[QUOTE=...in the words of Cartman....sounds like "a bunch of tree hugging hippy cr*p" [/QUOTE]

Sorry Moon's Mum that made me giggle, you'd never catch me tree hugging Have never heard of 'the trust technique' before, will have look at website but agree with finding out more before going ahead with anything.
Krusewalker
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

29-01-2011, 12:57 PM
Originally Posted by fluffymummy View Post
Thanks for that, will try it! How would you do that if we were outside in the park as he'd suddenly decide that this stranger does not belong there and start chasing and barking at the poor person! And then it depends how that stranger reacts - if they ignore him I can call him away, if they get agitated and start shouting he will get worse and all my calling goes through the window!

but i would have thought the answer here is that your dog should be on a long line so if he does approach strangers aggressively, he doesnt have the option of not coming back?
what you are describing from the stranger is them either performing their own fight or freeze (ignore) responses

Had this unfortunate incident today when this woman was freaking him out even more - I told her to stop and ignore him - she got all confrontational and abusive and even brought race into it .... then after her comment that if she'd had anything she would hit him I could not resist and said "is that cause he's white?"
i would say you are thinking about this the wrong way round, as their should be no onus put on the stranger whatsoever.
they would be the victim of what is, essentially, by law, a dangerous dog.
if this is a common occurance in your local park, you could expect a visit from the dog warden (if it had been a big dog you most probably would have been in the doo dah by now).
i could understand if the lady was approached by an aggressive dog, but the only thing the owner did was put some of the blame onto her for acting frightened, then, naturally, she would be abusive.

everytime your dog is allowed to repeat this behaviour he is rewarding himself and making the behaviour stronger and harder to break.
[/B]

sorry to be the party pooping messenger, but this is the legal and behaviour reality.
fluffymummy
Dogsey Senior
Female 

29-01-2011, 02:01 PM
Originally Posted by Krusewalker View Post
i would say you are thinking about this the wrong way round, as their should be no onus put on the stranger whatsoever.
they would be the victim of what is, essentially, by law, a dangerous dog.
if this is a common occurance in your local park, you could expect a visit from the dog warden (if it had been a big dog you most probably would have been in the doo dah by now).
i could understand if the lady was approached by an aggressive dog, but the only thing the owner did was put some of the blame onto her for acting frightened, then, naturally, she would be abusive.

everytime your dog is allowed to repeat this behaviour he is rewarding himself and making the behaviour stronger and harder to break.
[/B]

sorry to be the party pooping messenger, but this is the legal and behaviour reality.
Thanks Krusewalker, but it's not his regular behaviour anymore. He used to be on a long line before, but as his behaviour has improved massively with training, he was off lead a lot and it was fine. So his strangers chasing is quite rare these days.
I was not blaming the woman, I asked her to ignore him, but instead she was leaning over to him trying to smack him which made the situation worse. If she was truly frightened I don't think she'd do that IMHO. Normally if he'd start barking at someone I call him away and he does come back straight away, but as she was reacting in a threatening way (in my dog's mind) he thought he was right to carry on barking at her. So I thought all my hard work with him is failing....
That only happened yesterday after a looong time of him being fine, so naturally I was upset and talked to my trainer.
Krusewalker
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

29-01-2011, 03:53 PM
Originally Posted by fluffymummy View Post
Thanks Krusewalker, but it's not his regular behaviour anymore. He used to be on a long line before, but as his behaviour has improved massively with training, he was off lead a lot and it was fine. So his strangers chasing is quite rare these days.
I was not blaming the woman, I asked her to ignore him, but instead she was leaning over to him trying to smack him which made the situation worse. If she was truly frightened I don't think she'd do that IMHO. Normally if he'd start barking at someone I call him away and he does come back straight away, but as she was reacting in a threatening way (in my dog's mind) he thought he was right to carry on barking at her. So I thought all my hard work with him is failing....
That only happened yesterday after a looong time of him being fine, so naturally I was upset and talked to my trainer.
fair enough.

but i would have to say of course she would bend over to try and whack him if she was frightened, that is the fight out of the fight, flight, or freeze options when frightened.

it doesnt really matter how your dog perceives the lady's actions, as legally, she was defending herself from an aggressive dog.

the ony really appropriate response would be to go over to her and get your dog and then apologise for your dog having a go at her.

its only a temporary setback, you could get the long line out and do some more of your training.
fluffymummy
Dogsey Senior
Female 

29-01-2011, 04:18 PM
Originally Posted by Krusewalker View Post
fair enough.

but i would have to say of course she would bend over to try and whack him if she was frightened, that is the fight out of the fight, flight, or freeze options when frightened.

it doesnt really matter how your dog perceives the lady's actions, as legally, she was defending herself from an aggressive dog.

the ony really appropriate response would be to go over to her and get your dog and then apologise for your dog having a go at her.

its only a temporary setback, you could get the long line out and do some more of your training.
Thanks for that, that's exactly what I'm doing, trying to do more training and maybe get some alternative help.

Trust me, first thing I did was apologise and I asked her nicely to ignore him, but her response was rude and started with "he's only barking at me because I'm black" (that really annoyed me as it was totally untrue as black people are not exactly rare in my neighbourhood), then I called the dog over but at the same time she was trying to hit him and was being abusive... so that's how the thing escalated.
I know my dog made a mistake as he's fearful, he's not trying to bite anyone and he never has, but I also know that I should try and find a way to calm his excitement somehow, which is why I posted this question in the first place.
Page 4 of 4 < 1 2 3 4