Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Cassius
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

30-06-2010, 11:51 AM
Hi,

I agree with you and think you ahve the balance right.

I woudl always teach the basic obedience stuff first. After all, it was only because I taught Zane to go down on command that he didn't get run over when he got out of the front door.

But my lot can do a few tricks, particularly the pup who can crawl, wave, bow, give paw and roll over.

To the dogs, it's just more commands. Dogs love to learn new things and to practice. They lvoe to please us so I think it's harmless fun.

In my house now, Yiannis will sit for a treat. If I don't give it to him quickly enough he'll give his paw (which is more like a clip round the ear as he's really clumsy). If I'm still not quick enough for his liking he does high5, or high 10 (both front feet). So there is a down side to teaching tricks.

In a nutshell, my lot enjoy training and learning things. It's a little bit of extra stimulation on top of the "boring" stuff - although it's only us who decide what is boring to learn and what isn't.

Laura xx
wilbar
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

30-06-2010, 12:11 PM
Originally Posted by Helena54 View Post
Totally imo! I like to train useful commands, ones that I need, ones that could save her life, I don't like making a fool out of my dogs and to me, that's what I'm doing when I teach them tricks! It's ok for the theatre, but not for me thankyou. When I want her to have a play, I take her to an agility class where she can show off if she likes!
Please don't take this the wrong way & each to their own opinions, but do you really think that your dogs are happy to do a down stay on command (because it might one day save their life) but would feel a laughing stock & that you are making a fool out of them if you taught a high fives or roll over? Methinks it is pehaps you that feels like a fool, not your dogs !
Borderdawn
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

30-06-2010, 12:18 PM
Originally Posted by ClaireandDaisy View Post
Pointless? Tell that to Assistance dog trainers. Or Mary Ray.
Why? I think teaching dogs "tricks" is pathetic. Training a dog to work is different.
wilbar
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

30-06-2010, 12:27 PM
Originally Posted by Borderdawn View Post
Why? I think teaching dogs "tricks" is pathetic. Training a dog to work is different.
But how do you suppose your dogs know the difference?
rune
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

30-06-2010, 12:32 PM
Very old fashioned attitude but not surprising.

The more forward thinking 'working' trainers find any training fascinating and see parts of 'trick' training that they can adapt and use.

My gundog trainer is one of those.

rune
rune
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

30-06-2010, 12:35 PM
Originally Posted by Helena54 View Post
Totally imo! I like to train useful commands, ones that I need, ones that could save her life, I don't like making a fool out of my dogs and to me, that's what I'm doing when I teach them tricks! It's ok for the theatre, but not for me thankyou. When I want her to have a play, I take her to an agility class where she can show off if she likes!
Agility is tricks as well.

It is also instant gratification to train so more user friendly.

rune
Borderdawn
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

30-06-2010, 12:37 PM
Originally Posted by wilbar View Post
But how do you suppose your dogs know the difference?
I dont expect for one second for a DOG to know the difference. I teach my dogs a couple of commands, usually being "stay" and sometimes "come." I cannot see what any animal "gets" out of being taught to do tricks for people to laugh at. Hoewever, if thats what floats yer boat.........
Wozzy
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

30-06-2010, 12:47 PM
Like so many have said, no training, whatever form it takes is pointless.

However, i'm not a major fan of theatricals with a dog, I much prefer to see a dog being trained to work (I know it's all the same to a dog but I mean sheepdog work, gundogs etc). For me, watching HTM is one of the most boring things on this planet but I can 110% appreciate how much hard work goes into training a dog in this way so I will never knock somebody for doing it.

My dogs know lots of commands but they are 99% based on obedience and work. They know 'hi-five' and Flynn can pull a tissue out of my pocket when I fake a sneeze and I made a start on teaching Jessie to roll over and 'reverse' but they are only half completed. I make a start on teaching them when perhaps it's a rubbish day outside and they all look bored but tricks arent my thing so I never follow through.

So, to answer the question...No they arent pointless and yes they are fun...but not for me or my dogs.
rune
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

30-06-2010, 12:55 PM
Thats fair comment.

I don't find it boring watching any kind of competition with dogs. My dad could never understand how I could watch rounds of obedience years ago.

rune
wilbar
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

30-06-2010, 12:57 PM
I dont expect for one second for a DOG to know the difference. I teach my dogs a couple of commands, usually being "stay" and sometimes "come." I cannot see what any animal "gets" out of being taught to do tricks for people to laugh at. Hoewever, if thats what floats yer boat.........
Fair enough, but surely it's the way in which you teach these things, be they "tricks" or life-saving commands, or useful work behaviours, that make a difference to a dog? The whole process of being successful, earning a reward & having some control over the environment, is what makes it fun & enjoyable for the dog. You've only got to look at school kids that have been given praise, or earned a gold star or whatever, to see how much this boosts their confidence & how happy it makes them.

But if you don't find it fun & enjoyable, & think it's a waste of time, then I suspect your dogs would probably have the same reaction.
Page 3 of 12 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 > Last »