View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Lucky Star
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

18-01-2013, 07:16 PM
Brilliant - well captured Helen! I'd love to see the fox if you get him coming again.
jantet
Dogsey Senior
Female 

19-01-2013, 10:29 AM
Wonderful pictures. Never get anything exotic like that here! The garden though is packed with birds, all queuing up to be fed, especially in this weather. The blackbirds and the mallards (we back on to a river) are the boldest, and on more than one occasion they have been in the house.

I had a big supply of bird food delivered a couple of days ago, as I was fed up with having to carry it back from the shops. The main problem at the moment is trying to give them water - the bird bath freezes almost as soon as I put fresh water in!
Chris
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

19-01-2013, 10:38 AM
Lovely pictures, Helena

I have to say, there's something about robins that melt the heart. Such cute little birds.

By the time the Starlings and wood pigeons have raided, we don't see many other birds at the table.

We do have the odd visiting blackbird, robin, crows and magpies visit now and then
Helena54
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

19-01-2013, 06:09 PM
I captured some more today for you, cos we had yet another frenzie up the top, even the lesser spotted came back for 2nds today!

Here's a fat little thrush who I think maybe ate too much, look at his belly, it's almost touching the ground

I think thrush's are 2nd on my fave list. Don't know whether it's a song or mistle thrush but I think its a mistle?

Then I captured this blue tit in a bush out the front, but again through a window, so pictures aren't as good as they could be, but I'm well impressed with this new lens
Borderdawn
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

19-01-2013, 06:27 PM
Those are super Helena, loved them and great to see. We only see the green woodies on the ground usually.
Helena54
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

19-01-2013, 06:45 PM
Thanks Dawn, not half as good as your pics I know , but considering this is right up the top of the back garden, plus through a window, not bad are they!

Tomorrow I will get that fox for you Linda and the jays that visit each day, but they're so quick, as soon as I've picked up the camera they're off! They seem to be frightened by all the smaller birds which seems strange.
Helena54
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

20-01-2013, 01:28 PM
Today's visitors to the garden

The Jay, I was lucky enough to grab the camera in time cos they don't stay long the jays!

Then the woodpecker arrived on the front lawn and started digging

Nearly one hour later, he's still there, still digging, maybe he wants to find Australia where he knows it's warmer???!
Jenny
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

21-01-2013, 03:02 PM
Great shots of the woodpeckers especially. I adore birds and seeing your photos of the Lesser Spotted Woodpecker reminds me of the day we moved in here and there was a dead one on the balcony - it had flown into the glass doors - we were all so upset.

I too feed the birds and we get a fantastic array of different species here too.
jantet
Dogsey Senior
Female 

21-01-2013, 03:08 PM
Really deep snow here in Lincolnshire today, I've been out countless times to put food out. Must be fairly mild though, because the water doesn't keep freezing over.

We have a 'new' blackbird, one that I don't recognize, and it won't tolerate any other birds near it - keeps chasing them off. I can only assume that it was very hungry, arrived here and found an abundance of food, and is determined it doesn't miss out. The only other bullies we get are the angelic looking collared doves.
jantet
Dogsey Senior
Female 

21-01-2013, 03:54 PM
A pheasant has just arrived now, also a flock of pigeons. Not our normal ones who are so fat they can hardly take off, but rather attractive ones, presumably wood pigeons.

They're all welcome!
Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >