View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Colin
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

23-05-2007, 07:20 PM

Onyx comes back with his dinner. (PLEASE NOTE: contains pics of dead rabbit)

I have just come back from taking my dogs for a walk on the South Downs and while we were out Onyx came back with his dinner.

What happened was we were having a pleasant walk when all of a sudden he just shot off in front of me, he went about a couple of hundred yards and did this tumble to the ground.

Anyway it turned out he had seen and then to my surprise caught this big rabbit, and then came running back to me with this silly sort of grin on his face saying “look what I’ve got dad” and just dropped this dead rabbit in front of me.

I’m not sure what he was expecting me to do with it at the time, but I just picked it up and put it a carrier bag and told he well done.

The reason I said I was surprise he had caught it is because he and Max are always chasing the rabbits but until today had never caught one.

Anyway they have just had their tea (half a chicken each) and it looks like tonight I have now got to try and skin it and then cook it so they can have it for tomorrows dinner.

I’m I the only one on here who has a dog who has brought home his dinner?
CockerMum
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

23-05-2007, 07:27 PM
Weel done Onyx......GOOD JOB!!!!!

this is my friends dog Rhudie. he and two of my girls worked together to bring this big baby down

I'm sure your kids will love their rabbit tea tomorrow
alexandra
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

23-05-2007, 07:32 PM
well done onyx...

My mum wants me to turn china loose in her field to rid it of rabbits but she doesnt beleive me that she is WAY too slow to catch them!!

Alex
xx
Lottie
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

23-05-2007, 07:35 PM
Nope both of mine have had rabbits (although T didn't catch her's and I doubt Eddy caught his) difference is, they don't bring them back - they just eat them there and then! Niiiice
Nicky1979
Almost a Veteran
Female 

23-05-2007, 07:59 PM
Nope Louie is far to slow & easily distracted to catch anything that isn't already dead

Well done Onyx
Colin
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

23-05-2007, 08:13 PM
I had always thought that Onyx was to slow, but yet again her has proved me wrong.

I think the reason I thhink he brought back the rabbit was because to him it was a toy and not something to eat, as they are forever picking up their toys and putting them in my lap while I'm trying to watch TV.
Phil
Fondly Remembered
Male 

23-05-2007, 08:16 PM
Nice one!

If they never usualy catch them it might have had mxymatosis which really slow them down.
Colin
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

23-05-2007, 08:27 PM
[QUOTE=Phil;1018197]Nice one!

Good point Phil, but usualy all three of them are trying to catch the same rabbit and just get in each other way, whereas on this ocasion it was just Onyx.

The other two were to busy reading the paper as I call it (sniffing to ground to see who or what else is about).

How can I tell if this rabbit had mxymatosis, and if I feed it to them will it hurt them in any way?
Patch
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

23-05-2007, 08:30 PM
Originally Posted by Colin Bradish View Post

How can I tell if this rabbit had mxymatosis, and if I feed it to them will it hurt them in any way?
Best way is to not encourage them to do it then you`ll not have to worry about it
jackpat
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

23-05-2007, 08:31 PM
Look at its eyes and around its nose and mouth. Any discharge in those areas mean it probably had myxi. I dont think it would hurt them if they did eat it, but I wouldnt let my 2 eat it if I knew it was diseased.
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >