View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
jesterjenn
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

29-10-2009, 01:37 PM
You say he is all happy to get his lead put on... Would it be worth for the time being to only put his lead on whilst he is in the car. If he wants to go for a walk enough I would have thought this would be enough to entice him.

Fortunately Jess is the opposite and gets SOOOOOOO excited about the car its unbelievable. Maybe if you have a friend with a dog like Jess who could maybe teach him cars aren't so bad.
Annajayne
Dogsey Senior
Female 

29-10-2009, 02:32 PM
Thank you all very much for the very helpful suggestions. I was looking at the ruff-wear harness online last night, Lynn. I am going to get one, I think.

I took him to the car this morning and opened the back and of course, he laid himself down on his side, I leaned against the back of the car and talked to him and offered him a piece of hot dog sausage (another favourite ). He got up to take the sausage and then lay down again. So we stayed for another couple of minutes then I shut the back and we went off walking.

I was hoping to eventually get him to get in the car again for the bits of food but like you say, it will take lots of time.

For gun dog training and the vets someone will come with me to help me lift him in.
Wysiwyg
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

29-10-2009, 06:04 PM
This may be of use

http://www.apbc.org.uk/articles/fourwheelphobia

Wys
x
Annajayne
Dogsey Senior
Female 

29-10-2009, 06:19 PM
Originally Posted by Wysiwyg View Post
This may be of use

http://www.apbc.org.uk/articles/fourwheelphobia

Wys
x
Thank you so much for this. I found it really interesting and it made sense to me.

Tomorrow we will try the climbing through the car game. If anything, it will give the neighbours something to really talk about

All the advice has suggested patience and taking it really slow, so that is what we will do. We can manage in the meantime with walking. Sorry to keep asking questions but what about gun dog training on Sundays, I have to drive there. Do you think that will spoil any training to just put him in the car and drive there?
Wysiwyg
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

30-10-2009, 06:59 AM
Originally Posted by Annajayne View Post
Thank you so much for this. I found it really interesting and it made sense to me.

Tomorrow we will try the climbing through the car game. If anything, it will give the neighbours something to really talk about

All the advice has suggested patience and taking it really slow, so that is what we will do. We can manage in the meantime with walking. Sorry to keep asking questions but what about gun dog training on Sundays, I have to drive there. Do you think that will spoil any training to just put him in the car and drive there?
I hate to say it but yes I do think it would, because it will put back any confidence gained. However, a few weeks invested in this new game may mean he is oK with cars for the rest of his life

I once knew of someone who bought a car for her dog - a nice 4x4 but the dog hated it and had been OK in her previous old banger! Very occasionally the problem is due to something like arthritis or a hip problem so if it keeps on and doesn't improve, I'd suggest a vet check in case, but hopefully all will be much improved in a few weeks ...

Wys
x
Annajayne
Dogsey Senior
Female 

30-10-2009, 12:46 PM
Just to let you know that we have done the 'car game' that Wys kindly posted a link to. It ended up working really well. Eddie thought I had finally flipped at first. It says in the link, don't look back at the dog, he wouldn't follow me through the car with gentle tugs so I had a piece of smelly treat in one hand (fish ) so I put my other hand behind my back so he could smell it and he cautiously followed me. Anyhow, after about two minutes we were having a great time rushing through the car and out the other side until he was all panting and smiley. Will have another go later in the day, really just to give the neighbours something to look at. We will keep it up and see how we go.

I have phoned the gun dog trainer and told him all about the car problem and told him not to fill my place I will hopefully be back soon but will keep in touch with him.

Thanks again for all your help.
Wysiwyg
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

30-10-2009, 05:51 PM
Good luck, I hope the game continues to go well,

Wys
x
Annajayne
Dogsey Senior
Female 

08-11-2009, 12:47 PM
Just thought I would let you know how we are going with Eddie's car fear.

We have progressed now to sitting on the back seat together sharing a biscuit. I always make sure I am the first one to get out of the car. We do the car game for a while, which he now thinks is great fun, then I sit in the back and he sits next to me, still with the doors open, and we share a biscuit.

Next step is with one door shut, but I am not rushing it, I want to get it right, even if it takes months. It's only been a couple of weeks and I feel we have progressed. We haven't been anywhere in the car, we walk everywhere. If he doesn't like it when I shut one door I will immediately get out of the other door and end the game.

Thanks for your help with this.
Lynn
Dogsey Veteran
Female  Gold Supporter 

08-11-2009, 06:07 PM
Nice to hear positive things and they are slowly working for you. Well done.
tinkladyv
Almost a Veteran
Female 

08-11-2009, 09:38 PM
Oh well done and good luck
Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >