Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Lottie
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

09-01-2007, 12:52 PM

How do I use hibiscrub?

I have bought some hibiscrub as three days after stepping on glass, Takara is still on three legs... and I think it'll be useful for future problems too.

unfortunately I don't have a clue how to use it so what strength do I dilute it to? 5ml and 25ml are mentioned for different purposes on the bottle but it also says about not using in body cavities... is it ok to put in wounds?

Thanks
Radar Ears
Dogsey Senior
Female 

09-01-2007, 01:20 PM
Lottie,

I would check with the vet, because when my Labrador had a "hot-spot" on his head, the vet said that hibiscrub would be too harsh and gave me Pethodine to use.

I know that Mick's head is a lot different to an open wound like Takara has, but you don't want to do more harm than good if it "smarts" when it gets into an open wound.

Kind regards

Jill
Carole
Supervisor
Female  Diamond Supporter 

09-01-2007, 01:27 PM
When Star cut her paw a few months ago the vet advised to dilute it one part hibiscrub with 10 parts water. She also said that a saline solution would be just as good as hibiscrub - less harsh on the skin.
scorpio
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

09-01-2007, 01:31 PM
I usually use 10 parts water to 1 hibiscrub but only use it under vets advice. It is brilliant but can be too harsh for some wounds, as already suggested, might be worth ringing your vet to double check.
The times I've used it has normally been for cleaning operation wounds or if Tylers grass allergy flares up and his skin gets infected. All other wounds I use salt water.
Lottie
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

09-01-2007, 01:37 PM
Thanks guys...

I've cleaned it and cleaned it and I've covered it regularly in liverine unction but, although it does look slightly better she's still moving on three legs and nearly falls over when she walks...

Should we just see a vet?
Radar Ears
Dogsey Senior
Female 

09-01-2007, 01:38 PM
Originally Posted by Lottie View Post
Thanks guys...

I've cleaned it and cleaned it and I've covered it regularly in liverine unction but, although it does look slightly better she's still moving on three legs and nearly falls over when she walks...

Should we just see a vet?

Lottie, I think you should, she may still have glass embedded in her foot, the vets can give her an anaesthetic and poke about in it to check.

Jill
Lottie
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

09-01-2007, 01:41 PM
Originally Posted by Radar Ears View Post
Lottie, I think you should, she may still have glass embedded in her foot, the vets can give her an anaesthetic and poke about in it to check.

Jill
Thanks Jill,

I'd hate for it to affect her long term. She's only 18 months old. I'm gonna give them a bell now. I might be able to get in this afternoon of maybe tomorrow...

By the way - will insurance cover the cost - even if it's just a consultation fee?
crazycockers
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

09-01-2007, 01:42 PM
When Jasmine had a c-section the vet gave us a bottle of hibiscrub, which had to be diluted 1 in 10, although the hibiscrub we got from the chemist was like a handwash and had to used straight from the bottle.
Hevvur
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

09-01-2007, 01:55 PM
Originally Posted by Lottie View Post
By the way - will insurance cover the cost - even if it's just a consultation fee?

If you have no excess, then yep!
Or if you have an excess, and the vets cost more, then yep
teenytiny
Almost a Veteran
Female 

09-01-2007, 01:57 PM
Did you make sure all the broken glass was out of the cut? I know it's hard to tell, but even if the smallest piece was still left in the wound, it can cause such a nasty infection. Also, it must be so painful for her. I'd pop along to the vets, even if it is for peace of mind that the wound is glass free.
Bless her xxx Give her a huge hug
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 >