View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
scorpio
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

27-03-2011, 09:36 AM
When I had lots of dogs, it still hurt so badly when I lost one, but I had the others to occupy me and they needed me so gave me a reason to get up each morning and pull myself together.

Going down to one dog and then losing him, although I had a couple of weeks warning, was dreadful. Clive had asked if I would wait a while before getting another, we had the wedding planned, and, to be honest, having had to rehome all my others then losing Leon, I felt in no hurry to have another dog anytime soon.

However, I was not prepared for the devastation that losing Leon caused me, I sobbed solidly for over week, couldn't eat, was sending the wrong items out to people that had ordered things from us, and was just a total mess with no wish to continue life...sounds really stupid as I was just about to get married, but I was worse I think than when I had to face up to rehoming all the others.

It was Clive who, after 3 days begged me to get in touch with the people we knew may have an older English Setter for sale. He said that, if he hadn't known that I wanted to show again, he would have driven to the local rescue and just picked me any dog and brought it straight home, just to help me get better...so sweet of him considering how anti-dog he was.

I don't think it hurts any more or less just having the one dog, I think it just affects you more as there is nothing else to channel that love into...therefore I would always get another sooner rather than later.

I am enjoying having just the one dog, however, and I'm not in any rush, if we move I would like to get Henry a playmate, both for his sake and to help me if anything were to happen to Hen in the future.
Moobli
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

27-03-2011, 09:44 AM
I don't think the hurt is any easier whether you have only one dog, or multiple dogs. However, I found that when I lost an only dog, I had to get another dog more quickly as I couldn't stand living without a dog at all. When I have lost one dog, but owned others, I didn't feel the same need to rush into getting another iyswim.
mcv
Dogsey Junior
Female 

27-03-2011, 10:25 AM
We have recently been through this,
To loose a very much loved member of the family is devistating, we made the decision in just one week to home another.
It does kind of fill that hole and emptyness that is left and it helps to ease the pain. but it doesnt take it away.
They can never be replaced, and we miss warren terribly.
I believe that warren is sitting on a cloud in doggy heaven laughing his socks off, at what we have taken on with Toby they are sooo different.
Different people do different things in such circumstances, i believe there is no wright or wrong decision. It just depends on the individual.
My inlaws lost their dog a few yrs ago and vowed not to have any more, but they couldnt live without dogs in their lives and now have 3. My mum and dad lost their dog and vowed never to have another, and still dont have one and i doubt they will get another dog.
Page 4 of 4 < 1 2 3 4