View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
sambo
Dogsey Senior
Female 

10-04-2006, 09:11 PM
I shop at somerfield for my regular everyday items and asda for big weekly shop, i went to asda today and got a right bargain a massive piece of smoked haddock for £1.22 when i asked the woman behind the counter why it was so cheap she said it was half price all week as its easter.

Think i might go back and stock up tomorrow lol.
Deccy
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

10-04-2006, 11:12 PM
We don't have Sainsburys, Asda, Somerfield, Waitrose, and only one small Tesco's per COUNTY. M&S Dublin only. Planning regs don't allow supermarkets to be much bigger than a corner shop so Centra, Spar and Mace are big here, and filling stations nearly all have a respectable supermarket attached. In my town we have Londis (reminds me of the Co-op) and Supervalue, which is the biggest apart from Tesco, and Lidl is in the bigger towns.
I use a Centra store on my way home from work as you can park right outside normally, and travel the half hour into the county town once a month to raid Tesco's late at night - they are open 24 hours but the Irish haven't quite got to grips with this so it is always empty - quite spooky! They won't deliver out here
At least the shops are not crowded here - easy parking and peaceful, uncluttered aisles..... I would say quick service but quick is another concept unheard of out here - you have to have the statutory five minutes craic with the girl/lad on the till! Nobody hurries.
Vicki
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

11-04-2006, 05:40 AM
Originally Posted by justlou
Tesco for me Morrison's is my nearest, so i nip in there for anything i need or forgot to get from tesco
I don't know how many times I've just "nipped in" to a supermarket for a loaf and a pint of milk, and ended up spending £50 - I shouldn't be allowed out, really.......
Molly2606
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

11-04-2006, 07:16 AM
I do the main shop at asda and get bits and bobs either from tesco's or if the farmers market is on i go there can't beat local.
Willow
Almost a Veteran
Female 

11-04-2006, 01:33 PM
Tesco is where I mainly do it, there is a safeway/morrisons (dont know what they are called now) or somerfield in town along with a co op. I've never shopped at those though. Closest Asda or anything else is about 10 miles away
lillybet
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

11-04-2006, 01:37 PM
i do mine on the net with tesco. it is much better than having 2 fussing kids
Lou
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

11-04-2006, 03:26 PM
Originally Posted by Vicki
I don't know how many times I've just "nipped in" to a supermarket for a loaf and a pint of milk, and ended up spending £50 - I shouldn't be allowed out, really.......

LOL I'm the same.....I go in for a loaf and come out with loads of buy 1 get 1 free things
Ripsnorterthe2nd
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

11-04-2006, 04:38 PM
Morrisons usually, although the fruit and veg there is poo. It goes off in the car on the way home!

M&S is good for those naughty things (food wise!).
Lucky Star
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

11-04-2006, 07:50 PM
I was annoyed in Sainsburys last night!

I found these two reduced pousins, both dates expiring yesterday, for £1.69 each. I was about to buy them then realised for really fresh ones, it was £3.00 for two! So the two on the date ones would have cost me 38p more!
franc1987
Almost a Veteran
Female 

11-04-2006, 10:17 PM
Originally Posted by Hevvur
Tesco for the main things, as it's literally 2 mins away.
Lidl for fruit and veg, as it's better than any other shop, cheap, and lasts ages!
I work at an afterschool club and as a rule we stock the kids up on fruit snacks. The fruit is always gorgeous and is nicer than the stuff we get from tesco so i asked my boss where he was getting it from, because we don't have much money to be spending but it always tastes so expensive and he told me Netto!! I was shocked! Its the best fruit i've ever had!

Back to topic- we do our main food shop at Tesco, occassionally morrisons, or if we need a few bits that the local shops don't sell we nip to morrisons cos its nearer. Mum always used to do my nans shopping at the morrisons near her because it was tons better than ours but if we used that one everything would be melted by the time we got home! We use M&S for nice stuff and sometimes we go to Asda if we want to do shopping & clothes together.

My favourites got to be Waitrose though
Page 4 of 4 < 1 2 3 4