View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Shona
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

06-12-2006, 01:16 PM

Why do show owners not allow there dogs to sit!

As someone that dabbles in showing I have noticed over the 5 years I have been doing this that often people who show dogs have a hissy fit if there dog sits, Now obviously its not what you want when your dog is being seen by the judge! but outside the ring surely the dog can be allowed to sit, some dont allow there dogs to sit at roads, for a treat at home, and they really get upset about the whole issue,
why?
rachelsetters
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

06-12-2006, 01:25 PM
I do show - and also don't understand this - my boys understand the command sit and stand! So were taught both - I didn't start showing til after obedience training and it was harder getting Max to stand rather than sit when we stopped but he soon got the hang of it. And it's never been a huge problem for Angus!

So I teach both sit and stand and down too! My biggest problem with Angus is stopping him 'giving a high five' when sitting!
scorpio
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

06-12-2006, 01:51 PM
When I first started show training I was told not to make my dog sit for the reason you gave, the last thing you want a dog to do in front of the judge is sit, you want it to remain standing to show itself off.

However, I do teach mine to sit and they will obey me, to a degree, they absolutely ignore the command if there is someone making a fuss of them or something going on that they want to get involved in. It hasn't really concerned me in the home as they will do it immediately if they think they're going to get a treat.

Since deciding to take Bradley to obedience I have been teaching him to sit and he will do it 100%. However, it will be interesting to see if he will do it when he starts his training classes tonight, if there are friends to be made instead of concentrating on boring old mummy, well who can say what he'll do
Sal
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

06-12-2006, 02:34 PM
I teach mine with a hand signal rather than a verbal command,simple reason as if they heard somebody shout sit while they were in the ring they may well do it
Shona
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

06-12-2006, 02:47 PM
Originally Posted by rachelsetters View Post
I do show - and also don't understand this - my boys understand the command sit and stand! So were taught both - I didn't start showing til after obedience training and it was harder getting Max to stand rather than sit when we stopped but he soon got the hang of it. And it's never been a huge problem for Angus!

So I teach both sit and stand and down too! My biggest problem with Angus is stopping him 'giving a high five' when sitting!
Kaos has gone into clicker training mode a couple of times in the ring with me if I dont pay attention to him he thinks ok and goes through his handful of tricks problem being he does it one after the other very quickly so we get bow,both(high ten) spin wave a paw and hide ugly face back into bow and round of with a walk back, tell you what though it gets my attention back on him the judges too

He is young and keen so I dont mind and if its the worst thing my male rott does in the ring I will be a happy gal
Hannah
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

06-12-2006, 02:48 PM
I dont show but did go to ringcraft with Loki for awhile, he had already learnt sit and getting him to stand was quite difficult particually when we stopped at the end of moving for the judge, in obedience he was already used to sitting nicely at my side whenever I stopped, I wasnt bothered about showing and more interested in continuing obedience so stopped going to ring craft in the end!
Ive not met anyone who was annoyed at their dog sitting of their own accord outside the ring that seems abit extream and mean!
Shona
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

06-12-2006, 02:55 PM
Hi scorpio, I think I know what he will do at training, have fun and enjoy himself. as it should be,
Hi hannah, from what I have seen if they are talking to someone outside the ring and the dog is sat next to them, if someone goes to give the dog a treat they go off on one about not giving the dog a reward for sitting, but some tend to get very upset and obsesed by it,

Kaos doing it like he should (on a good day)
megan57collies
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

06-12-2006, 03:12 PM
Originally Posted by dougiepit View Post
Hi scorpio, I think I know what he will do at training, have fun and enjoy himself. as it should be,
Hi hannah, from what I have seen if they are talking to someone outside the ring and the dog is sat next to them, if someone goes to give the dog a treat they go off on one about not giving the dog a reward for sitting, but some tend to get very upset and obsesed by it,

Kaos doing it like he should (on a good day)
I've always taught mine both but obviously focus on the stand at ringcraft when they're both puppies. They understand both, that's not stopped them from sitting down though in front of the judge though. With young dogs though, it's a sad judge who faults them for sitting down. They're not robots. I would be annoyed if someone treated them without asking though, anywhere not just in the showring. Alot of dogs have allergies and I think it's only polite to ask.
Hannah
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

06-12-2006, 03:31 PM
I agree people should ask before treating your dog or even petting them, but I also think some people (particually in the show world from what ive seen, although obviously not everyone who shows!!) get to hung up on little unimportant things! But each to their own and I guess they must be important to them and have their reasons for doing so!

Kaos looks stunning dougiepit im sure he will do well in the ring if he stands like that lovely!!!
Shona
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

06-12-2006, 04:20 PM
I had someone come for training about 18 months ago, they were having terrible problems with their dog, the dog was " a show dog " and it was a huge issue for the owner when attempting to help her with pulling on lead / lunging / triping her up / snapping at her hands and lead. When teaching heal work she refused point blank to allow the dog to sit, it was the same with all other exercises, the dog would do some healwork then stop at the front of her and go into a show stance, it was strange to see the two obed/show being incorportated in that manner, but credit where its due at least she made the an effort to resolve the problems she had, who knows it could be the next big thing in the training world but i doubt it,