Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Ellie-box
New Member!
Male 

17-08-2011, 05:16 PM

Vaccinations

Hello my Jack Russell puppy has had the following vaccinations
Vanguard 7 CPV-l at 10 weeks and Vanguard lepto ci at 12 weeks have been told after 2 injection she needs to go back in another week for a 3rd injection. is she protected or not thanks for help
smokeybear
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

17-08-2011, 05:20 PM
Originally Posted by Ellie-box View Post
Vanguard 7 CPV-l at 10 weeks and Vanguard lepto ci at 12 weeks have been told after 2 injection she needs to go back in another week for a 3rd injection. is she protected or not thanks for help

Is she protected or not against what?

Your vet should have informed you of the vaccination protocol and when it is safe, in his opinion, to take her out.

All manufacturers have different protocols.
Tass
Almost a Veteran
Female 

17-08-2011, 06:51 PM
Originally Posted by Ellie-box View Post

http://www.hyperdrug.co.uk/Vanguard-...nfo/VANGUARD7/

"Onset of immunity occurs by approximately two weeks after the last dose of the Basic Vaccination Scheme......... . Basic Vaccination Scheme: Puppies younger than 10 weeks of age: Two doses of Vanguard 7 at least 14 days apart. The first dose can be given as young as 7 weeks of age. The second dose should not be given until at least 10 weeks of age. Puppies 10 weeks of age and older: A single dose of Vanguard 7, followed by a single dose of Vanguard Lepto ci at least 14 days later. Booster Vaccination: Leptospiral components – annual booster vaccination is recommended."

Hmmm. I have heard of puppies vaccinated younger than 10 weeks having a second at 12 weeks and a third vaccine at 16 weeks (and Rottweillers are sometimes routinely given a third vaccine) in case Maternal antibodies are still present and risk knocking out the first one, but this manufacturer's data makes no mention of a third injection, nor does it state when the puppy can be considered protected, which in general terms would be 7-14 days after the second vaccine.

Vets sometimes change these protocols depending on local risk and current local conditions so I think your best bet is to check with your vet.

Sorry, not much help.