View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
jess
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

12-10-2006, 10:31 AM
Joedee, it's almost like you are looking for an argument... I don't have a purebreed GSD, she is half husky, and when i said he was huge, i meant in comparison to her, as she is husky sized and he was proper shepherd size, but it was amazing his colour was the same as her. I call her sable, and it is amazing how many people think she is a gsd even a gsd breeder remarked on her being a 'good example'. Humph.

For the record, i know what sable is, and i have met some mottled not so sable gsds.
And point two, about the jekyll and hyde, i meant from going from placid family pet you would want around your kids, yet trained at to the word to become an attack dog. I DO NOT WORK with schutzhund / protection trained dogs, therefore have no understanding of how much saliva/snarling is allowed, I meant the alround theory of the protection/working gsd.
Trouble
Dogsey Veteran
Female  Diamond Supporter 

12-10-2006, 10:53 AM
Originally Posted by DobieGirl View Post
Oh dear not this argument again...

I believe Dobies can be 'daft as a brush' sometimes, I think your taking the meaning to literally Dawn, I think they are still bold and fearless, but can be silly sometimes! Like they are also name couch potatos!

And again, its true, Roxy would never get off our sofa if she didn't have to eat

I think that breeding to pet life is a GOOD thing in some cases. even the breeds you are talking about are bred from something else.

Dawn - you know as much as I that a Dobermann is bred from 7 other dogs to become the perfect intelligent guard dog. Was this right? Breeding for personal benefit??

Yuo have to think back that its all just evolution at the end of the day, and if people are breeding to turn things like SBT's into 'pets' then so be it
Dawn could you clarify what you meant re the daft as a brush?, I don't think I took it the way natalie did.
I do agree with your point about temprement testing though, but how the hell you get all breeders to comply is another matter. I tell you what worries me, is the amount of Dobermann puppies being bred at the moment, how long before they start turning up in rescues in the huge numbers that staffies do?
Hayley SBT
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

12-10-2006, 11:28 AM
Originally Posted by DobieGirl View Post

Yuo have to think back that its all just evolution at the end of the day
But that is wrong, why is ok to change breeds to fit in to our life styles, surely if you cannot handle the breeds traits, instinct and true form, then you are not worthy of owning that breed....... (not aiming this at you dobiegirl, just gernerally)
Borderdawn
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

12-10-2006, 11:34 AM
Hi Dobiegirl, i dont see your problem? I chose Dobermanns as an example cos I have one and have owned 2 others and been involved with them for 18yrs. A LOT of them have poor temperaments. people DO breed fron unsound tempered stock, nervy, nasty whatever and it DOES pass on to its offspring, raising issues for those new owners. If breeders took the time to breed from dogs that are mentally sound as well as physically sound, then dogs in general would be in a much better state than they are.

Hi trouble.
Dobes are big lumps, that clown around, I expect and love that about them, but many are not bold and fearless. The daft as a brush, is not what I call true Dobe temperament, loyal and super with the family, yes but not the all fluffy welcoming labrador temperament you would expect from a guarding breed.
dawn.
Heldengebroed
Dogsey Senior
Male 

12-10-2006, 12:59 PM
The trouble with breeding is that it is very difficult to breed something good in a breed and very easy to breed something undesired into a breed. To make it even worse if you don't look after a desired treath you can very easy lose it in a few generations

Greetings

Johan
Trouble
Dogsey Veteran

12-10-2006, 01:24 PM
Originally Posted by Borderdawn View Post
Hi Dobiegirl, i dont see your problem? I chose Dobermanns as an example cos I have one and have owned 2 others and been involved with them for 18yrs. A LOT of them have poor temperaments. people DO breed fron unsound tempered stock, nervy, nasty whatever and it DOES pass on to its offspring, raising issues for those new owners. If breeders took the time to breed from dogs that are mentally sound as well as physically sound, then dogs in general would be in a much better state than they are.

Hi trouble.
Dobes are big lumps, that clown around, I expect and love that about them, but many are not bold and fearless. The daft as a brush, is not what I call true Dobe temperament, loyal and super with the family, yes but not the all fluffy welcoming labrador temperament you would expect from a guarding breed.
dawn.
Thank you, that's how I took it,
and in that case I do agree with you.
Moobli
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

12-10-2006, 01:29 PM
A police dog instructor friend of mine once said that there are too many people who buy GSDs, when they really want GSD looks with Labrador temperament. I think he is right.
jess
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

12-10-2006, 01:37 PM
maybe this is the overall problem? the general public think a dog is a 'dog' and there are just different looking ones? Not realising every breed has different traits, and it is the trait you should be looking for to best fit in (to your lifestyle), not just what it looks like!?
Trouble
Dogsey Veteran

12-10-2006, 01:49 PM
Labrador

Characteristics
Good-tempered, very agile. Excellent nose, soft mouth; keen love of water. Adaptable, devoted companion.
Temperament
Intelligent, keen and biddable, with a strong will to please. Kindly nature, with no trace of aggression or undue shyness.

sounds wonderful, unfortunately the ones I seem to encounter, have a trait not mentioned here, I invariably get mugged for dog treats and covered in muddy paw prints, now while I find it quite amusing, many wouldn't.I think their popularity has more to do with the andrex ad and the guide dogs for the blind. If they can do that job they must be easy to train, yeah right
jess
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

12-10-2006, 01:55 PM
I know! I have always wondered why the lab is such a common dog. Most of the ones I meet (i have had the pleasure of training many lab owners) are hyper, jump all over you (more than the average dog) and absolute garbage robbers....
Page 4 of 4 < 1 2 3 4